Android TB Boxes or Smart TV

surfs-up

Expert Member
I am living and working in Nairobi, Kenya. I am looking to buy a new smart TV - either Hi-Sense, LG or Samsung.
  • Which is the better smart TV operating system ? Google (Hi-Sense) or the one in LG or Samsung ? Looking for versatility, ease of use, amount of available apps etc. The other important thing is the remote control, and if a wireless keyboard and mouse can be connected to the TV (important, trying to enter characters with a remote control would drive me insane)
  • If I buy a Smart TV, is there any sense in buying an Android TV Box ? can the Android TV Box do more than a Smart TV operating system ?
  • 4K UHD or is Full HD TV sufficient ? I.O.W is the 4K noticeable ?
  • I'm looking to load Live Net TV, and other apps. I am a noob - I don't even know what Kodi is. Suggestions on apps to load
Thanks

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
I don't have any personal experience with Smart TV's, but I've heard friends complain that as the TV gets older, apps don't get updated and stops functioning. I had a Sony BluRay player with YouTube on it, and YouTube stopped working somewhere in 2015.

Android Media Box for me.

human75

H96 max x2 is a good one. but go for minimum 4gb ram version. .mi box s is good one but not compatible with every apk that you might want to install.. you can pm me for for advise about Android TV Boxes .Regards

I would absolutely recommend you buy an TV Box especially with the TVs you have mentioned you are considering buying. Those TV's operating systems only have basic applications that you can use. An android Tv box on the other hand is basically like an android phone on your TV. You have access to almost any app you can think of and more. For context. I have a Sony Android TV which is great, but i still bought a Nvidia Shield TV Box because i needed High-end audio passed through to my Home Theater. With an Android TV Box you can load programs such a TV Zion and watch any Movie or TV show free. You can load a VPN and watch USA Netflix. The possibilities are endless.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Separate Android TV box is always better than the smart TV option.
In my office we have a few very high end Samsung smart TV's and the built in "smart" part is terrible, very slow and buggy. The other thing is updates are a pain as they get abandoned very quickly.
When I replace my current TV I will either avoid smart TV or if I cant avoid it then I just wont use that side of the TV.