Anonymous hacks and leaks SA government data

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
w00t

or not?

expect a zillion-rand tender to be launched soon, to "secure" the networks... and no prizes for guessing who'll blag that tender...

LCBXX

Honorary Master
SITA must be placing they mansion and yacht orders by now..

jouda

Expert Member
w00t

or not?

expect a zillion-rand tender to be launched soon, to "secure" the networks... and no prizes for guessing who'll blag that tender...
Well the only way that jacob Zuptas friends can call themselves ethical is by establishing an ethical hacking firm to find and fix security issues for our guv-o-mint....

Kosmik

Honorary Master
So does no one else think it annoying that a figure was budgeted but never spent?

zippy

Executive Member
expenditure % = 132%
completed % = 0%

Epic project management skills :)

Thor

Honorary Master
Back to my first question, what will come of this?

Was it worth it?

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Back to my first question, what will come of this?

Was it worth it?
I reckon it is more of causing embarrassment than anything else. No signs of DDoS'ing or takedowns of key systems as yet.

I am still wondering whether these "leaks" can be called hacks. The spreadsheet shown in the article might just as well been sent via a staff member's GMail who got straight-up asked to do it, creating the impression that a hack happened.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
Don't you think that targeting / attacking departments which already struggle with service delivery is hurting the already disadvantaged even more? Now everything will come to a grind, tenders will be opened to improve IT infrastructure (think CIPRO) and no service will be delivered because some blackhat compromised services.

I am all for making government accountable for fraud, corruption and non-delivery but what will happen if Anonymous starts attacking core services such as Eskom, Telekom, banks and other essential services? The people on the street will be affected and government will not take any responsibility and just shift the excuse for not being able to deliver to some hacker.

MagicDude4Eva

Banned
Don't you think that targeting / attacking departments which already struggle with service delivery is hurting the already disadvantaged even more? Now everything will come to a grind, tenders will be opened to improve IT infrastructure (think CIPRO) and no service will be delivered because some blackhat compromised services.

I am all for making government accountable for fraud, corruption and non-delivery but what will happen if Anonymous starts attacking core services such as Eskom, Telekom, banks and other essential services? The people on the street will be affected and government will not take any responsibility and just shift the excuse for not being able to deliver to some hacker.