Police have made another arrest in connection with the murder of Port Elizabeth school teacher Jayde Panayiotou, the National Prosecuting Authority said on Monday.
The man was arrested in Green Bushes, Port Elizabeth, at noon on Sunday, NPA spokesperson Tsepo Ndwalaza said.
There was strong evidence linking him to Panayiotou’s kidnapping and murder. He would appear in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.
“He was placed at the scene of the residence where she was taken, together with the alleged hitman Sizwezakhe Vumazonke, and Sinethemba Nenembe,” he said.
Panayiotou, 29, was murdered on April 21, 2015, allegedly at the instruction of her husband Christopher, 30. She was kidnapped outside her townhouse complex in Kabega Park in the city.
Her body was found in a veld in KwaNobuhle, Uitenhage, the next day. She had been shot three times. The prosecution and defence would hold a pre-trial conference on July 26. The trial was expected to start on October 10 and run until September.
“This surprise arrest may change the dates. We still need to see how much the suspect was involved,” Ndwalaza said.*
Christopher Panayiotou was arrested on April 28 last year. He was being held at St Albans prison as an awaiting-trial prisoner, since both his initial bail application and subsequent appeal were denied.
He allegedly paid Luthando Siyoli, 31, a bouncer at his nightclub in Algoa Park, to hire a hitman, Sizwezakhe Vumazonke, 30, to murder Jayde.
Late in October last year, Nenembe, 28, was also linked to the case.Siyoli has turned State witness.
News24 - http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/another-arrest-for-jayde-panayiotou-murder-20160718
The man was arrested in Green Bushes, Port Elizabeth, at noon on Sunday, NPA spokesperson Tsepo Ndwalaza said.
There was strong evidence linking him to Panayiotou’s kidnapping and murder. He would appear in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.
“He was placed at the scene of the residence where she was taken, together with the alleged hitman Sizwezakhe Vumazonke, and Sinethemba Nenembe,” he said.
Panayiotou, 29, was murdered on April 21, 2015, allegedly at the instruction of her husband Christopher, 30. She was kidnapped outside her townhouse complex in Kabega Park in the city.
Her body was found in a veld in KwaNobuhle, Uitenhage, the next day. She had been shot three times. The prosecution and defence would hold a pre-trial conference on July 26. The trial was expected to start on October 10 and run until September.
“This surprise arrest may change the dates. We still need to see how much the suspect was involved,” Ndwalaza said.*
Christopher Panayiotou was arrested on April 28 last year. He was being held at St Albans prison as an awaiting-trial prisoner, since both his initial bail application and subsequent appeal were denied.
He allegedly paid Luthando Siyoli, 31, a bouncer at his nightclub in Algoa Park, to hire a hitman, Sizwezakhe Vumazonke, 30, to murder Jayde.
Late in October last year, Nenembe, 28, was also linked to the case.Siyoli has turned State witness.
News24 - http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/another-arrest-for-jayde-panayiotou-murder-20160718