Anti Static Wrist band

ZAMO22

Active Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2015
Messages
57
Reaction score
1
I've been assembling PC's for a little while now and want to get an anti static wrist band. I live in Durban, any ideas where I can get one?
 
I've been assembling PC's for a little while now and want to get an anti static wrist band. I live in Durban, any ideas where I can get one?

Unless you are scraping your ass around on nylon carpets in a place that has aircon the chances of static are minute. With Durban's humidity I have never experienced static & I've worked on gear more expensive than some peoples cars or flats. Just touch a plugged in chassis before working on it. If you still want to get one try A1 radio, Ron Tomlin etc
 
Unless you are scraping your ass around on nylon carpets in a place that has aircon the chances of static are minute. With Durban's humidity I have never experienced static & I've worked on gear more expensive than some peoples cars or flats. Just touch a plugged in chassis before working on it. If you still want to get one try A1 radio, Ron Tomlin etc

:D

Should work with nylon ...... you don't have touch the machines to discharge, the charge literally arcs and zaps you .... :D
 
A 3 pin plug with only the earth cable connected and wrapping the copper around your wrist will work.
 
A 3 pin plug with only the earth cable connected and wrapping the copper around your wrist will work.

I WILL NEVER USE THAT! We had serious power line damage where live power was sent back thru earth and fried all the computers.
My company however does use the anti static mat with wristbands and solder station link. Quite expensive.
 
A 3 pin plug with only the earth cable connected and wrapping the copper around your wrist will work.
Not without a resistor. There should be a 1M resistor in series to limit the current. If something goes wrong you do not want to be connected directly.

I WILL NEVER USE THAT! We had serious power line damage where live power was sent back thru earth and fried all the computers.
My company however does use the anti static mat with wristbands and solder station link. Quite expensive.
Well that shouldn't be a problem with the resistor in series. One way or another those mats have to be earthed.
 
Never used one before. Just touch something metal before you work. If you're very wary just don't have any socks. Bare foot, and you'll be golden.
 
I was aware that I didnt really need it but want to get one nonetheless
Will check A1 radio. Thanks for the help
 
I remember seeing and using these at the age of 13 when studying A+ for y2k and that was the last I heard of it :D
Used the anti-static mat in 2008 with my first job in the industry and they laughed at me for using the thing properly...
 
I've built a pc before wearing socks and standing on a carpeted floor - never had an issue.
 
1. Ground your PC case by connecting the PSU that is mounted inside it to a power outlet.
2. Wear cotton clothes / don't wear socks
3. Build your PC on a clean wooden table.
3. Touch a metal part of your case whenever you move around.

You're good to go! If you follow the above steps, itt would take a LOT of efforts to build up static electricity strong enough to ruin your parts instantly :D Happy PC Building :)
 
Have you ever had a board, CPU or memory stop working after you've touched it?
I have...
Or they don't stop working, but have the occasional odd behaviour due to internal damage. Or they fail earlier they otherwise would have.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X