Anti-Virus - Home Users

JustAsk

Expert Member
You don't need AV.

All the winblows kids just need to do what linux does by default...not using a fcking admin acc.

• Install winblows offline and setup a 2nd account (NORMAL USER).
  • Logout , then log into 2nd user and keep using it. DONE..SIMPLE...no AV needed.
You first need to understand WHY you need AV in the first place.

Totempole

Expert Member
You don't need AV.

All the winblows kids just need to do what linux does by default...not using a fcking admin acc.

• Install winblows offline and setup a 2nd account (NORMAL USER).
  • Logout , then log into 2nd user and keep using it. DONE..SIMPLE...no AV needed.
You first need to understand WHY you need AV in the first place.

I do this myself, and I can tell you there are tons of caveats. Software gets stuck in update loops constantly requesting elevated privileges, gaming apps keep signing out when you switch to another user, and some stuff just doesn't work at all.

At any rate, not all malware requires admin privileges do wreak havoc on your system. This is still not a replacement for decent virus protection.

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
if you still bank with Absa your "savyness" is clearly lacking so your advice probably should be the one LOL'd at.
Me being with ABSA has nothign to do with "Savyness" and more FNB's incompetence and lack of communication to move me over.
But if you truely believe "MS defender and common sense" is they way to go, then ja...whatever dude. Ignorance is bliss.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Me being with ABSA has nothign to do with "Savyness" and more FNB's incompetence and lack of communication to move me over.
But if you truely believe "MS defender and common sense" is they way to go, then ja...whatever dude. Ignorance is bliss.

herp derp

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
1631602980136.png

Noob-Noob

Executive Member
Sure, Windows defender is better than not having anything installed. But when it comes to detecting and cleaning infections it just lags behind the rest. Im probably being a little harsh on Defender, It has come a long way and its much better that it was a few years back. But its still not great. Anyone can go and read up on this, Go and check its detection rates, dont take my word for it. The information is out there....

We have a security team, Im not part of them but we work very closely as i'm the IT manager in my region, 90% of the times the infection/threats we get is beacuse of one of these clever savy oaks who things they know whats going on and it will never happen to them....You guys have no idea the amount of Malware exploits that's out there and how easy it is to get infected/hacked/exploited...And thinking you are protected beacuse you have defnder installed...:-/
When you get infected and your machine is blocked by Ransomware(or basicaly any virus you /defender cant fix), Call Microsoft and tell them you have Defender installed and let me know what their response is/was...;)

Im sure I will get a responses here attcking me again as here are so many subject "experts", unable to have a decent talk or debate...but I honestly dont care. Fact of the matter is you need a good AV. You cant go wrong with Bitdefender. Kaspersky is also good, as is SOPHOS, ESET and Trend.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
Stopped using third party anti-virus software when Windows 10 came out. Nothing on home server (24/7 internet connection). Nothing on work laptop. Use common sense installing trusted applications. Zero viruses.
No rooi gevaar waiting outside your house just to **** with your pc :rolleyes:

If you have to do dodge stuff then just create nix vm, setup jails and **** away :coffee:

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
Sure, Windows defender is better than not having anything installed. But when it comes to detecting and cleaning infections it just lags behind the rest. Im probably being a little harsh on Defender, It has come a long way and its much better that it was a few years back. But its still not great. Anyone can go and read up on this, Go and check its detection rates, dont take my word for it. The information is out there....

We have a security team, Im not part of them but we work very closely as i'm the IT manager in my region, 90% of the times the infection/threats we get is beacuse of one of these clever savy oaks who things they know whats going on and it will never happen to them....You guys have no idea the amount of Malware exploits that's out there and how easy it is to get infected/hacked/exploited...And thinking you are protected beacuse you have defnder installed...:-/
When you get infected and your machine is blocked by Ransomware(or basicaly any virus you /defender cant fix), Call Microsoft and tell them you have Defender installed and let me know what their response is/was...;)

Im sure I will get a responses here attcking me again as here are so many subject "experts", unable to have a decent talk or debate...but I honestly dont care. Fact of the matter is you need a good AV. You cant go wrong with Bitdefender. Kaspersky is also good, as is SOPHOS, ESET and Trend.
LOL @ Kaspersky

netstrider

Expert Member
Here's what I do when I receive a USB from a customer requesting a copy of brochures or surveillance software or whatever.

Reboot into Linux, copy to their USB. Remove USB. Reboot into Windows.

agentrfr

Executive Member
Here's what I do when I receive a USB from a customer requesting a copy of brochures or surveillance software or whatever.

Reboot into Linux, copy to their USB. Remove USB. Reboot into Windows.
Or you can just disable autorun in the registry?