Any Financial Advisors types here ??

SPERUJ

I have a few shares with FNB ShareBuilder (for 2 & a half years or so) & Easy Equities (for 1 year & a few months). I'm thinking of selling them but I guess this COVID-19 time is Not the best time , hey ???? If No/not now then when ?? In winter, spring ,summer ,next year ,in 5 years time - when ??

Last edited:

Jola

Honorary Master
FA are all in shock, and hiding in dark places.

smc

An FA, if they were being honest, would tell you that no one can time the markets.

Reactions: OCP

cguy

Executive Member
An FA, if they were being honest, would tell you that no one can time the markets.
I wouldn’t say no one, but I do support the idea that if you haven’t made a career out of finding some edge, you’d be better off flipping a coin.

Gnarls

Expert Member
I wouldn’t say no one, but I do support the idea that if you haven’t made a career out of finding some edge, you’d be better off flipping a coin.
As long as you apply proper risk management you have a 50% chance of winning.

cguy

Executive Member
As long as you apply proper risk management you have a 50% chance of winning.
Agreed. If a person doesn’t know what a sharpe ratio is, they shouldn’t be picking stocks either.

jammio

I have a few shares with FNB ShareBuilder (for 2 & a half years or so) & Easy Equities (for 1 year & a few months). I'm thinking of selling them but I guess this COVID-19 time is Not the best time , hey ???? If No/not now then when ?? In winter, spring ,summer ,next year ,in 5 years time - when ??

ceteris paribus:
If you don't need the cash then you probably shouldn't consider selling now... and it sounds like you've had them a while and are fine without the cash.

this obviously varies by what is actually in these portfolios.

SPERUJ

Agreed. If a person doesn’t know what a sharpe ratio is, they shouldn’t be picking stocks either.
They really get us with/we fall for their advertising so much so that we therefore don't go lookup investing terms before we open such accounts. Thanks to U mentioning Sharpe Ratio ,I've begun learning investing terms. Shouldn't it say Next to each of my Shares what their sharpe ratio is ?? Because I shouldn't have to look for it in their extensive blog or do a Google search for it. I just asked their "Support" about this, let's see what they say

SPERUJ

ceteris paribus:
If you don't need the cash then you probably shouldn't consider selling now... and it sounds like you've had them a while and are fine without the cash.

this obviously varies by what is actually in these portfolios.
Equities & ETFs -Do All Equities have a high or low sharpe ratio ?? Do All ETFs have a high or low sharpe ratio ??

cguy

Executive Member
They really get us with/we fall for their advertising so much so that we therefore don't go lookup investing terms before we open such accounts. Thanks to U mentioning Sharpe Ratio ,I've begun learning investing terms. Shouldn't it say Next to each of my Shares what their sharpe ratio is ?? Because I shouldn't have to look for it in their extensive blog or do a Google search for it. I just asked their "Support" about this, let's see what they say
That would be nice, but to hazard a guess as to why they don’t have it, one usually thinks about one’s overall strategy and portfolio. This is the Sharpe that is ultimately the most important.

E.g., if you held two stocks that were mostly anti correlated, your overall risk term would be reduced.

Of course this also likely means the returns will be mostly anti correlated, so there is no advantage to holding them - the trick with portfolio optimization is to find a set of products whose combination of risks and returns yields a better overall sharpe. Eg, Imagine if you had two products that were nearly perfectly anti correlated, but periodically they would both go up together, and almost never down together. Super low risk and you make money on those periodic events.

SPERUJ

Thanks to all who tried to help me , in reply to this thread but we need it put to us in simple English (like : A higher sharpe ratio is a good positive thing OR the Higher the Sharpe Ratio of a share, the better the/its' return from the very beginning or from....)