Any Ubiquiti Master's out there?

Sokum

Hi

I need to build a wlan in a complex for +/- 8ppl not more than 200m in total apart from the centre location which will have the main router (UBIQUITI UNIFI AP OUTDOOR+) and the other connections (UBIQUITI WIFISTATION).

My question is this:
1. Will this setup work?
2. Are there any other router or choices available?(within that price bracket)
3. Would this setup suffice in a normal urban area with all the noise?(2.4ghz)

T.I.A

jb30589

It should work fine if there is good enough line-of-sight between the wifi stations and the Unifi Outdoor.
You can choose a channel that isn't crowded to avoid interference, you can see other access points within the vicinity of the access point and the channel which they use in the unifi controller so it is easy to choose an unused channel.

Sokum

So it needs 100% line-of-sight or would it work if it's in a street?
And would it be possible to buy this setup already "setup'ed"?

jb30589

You could get someone to set it up for you but they would probably recommend using more expensive equipment such as the Ubiquiti nano stations. It might work without direct line of sight but if there are trees or walls in the way they can degrade the signal quite a lot.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
You need an ISP license if are you going to supply broadband to the tenants.

Sokum

@CamiKazi - We are creating a Lan and we might forget not to share the Internet!

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Yes, it will work fine, and if it's not further than 200m you don't even need line of sight.

You cannot buy it "already setup". That you do yourself or pay another company/person to do it for you.
And yes you can then share internet with everyone if you want... just don't let telkom know as they will not like it, but they will never know about it either lol

Sokum

Yes, it will work fine, and if it's not further than 200m you don't even need line of sight.

You cannot buy it "already setup". That you do yourself or pay another company/person to do it for you.
And yes you can then share internet with everyone if you want... just don't let telkom know as they will not like it, but they will never know about it either lol
It's in a street...so if I mount the UBIQUITI UNIFI AP OUTDOOR+ on my house's front and the UBIQUITI WIFI STATION on the front of their houses that would work, right?