Any way to fix Win10 font rendering?

ponder

Honorary Master
Example,

Edge
1561411508210.png

Start menu search
3.PNG

The font rendering is piss poor to put it mildly!

I googled some and from what I gather this crap started with win8, MS changed the font rendering with the advent of diversifying into the phone & tablet markets where the prior font rendering method was too taxing for these devices resulting in jerky scrolling etc.

Yes I've enabled cleartype and gone through the calibration process, enabled smooth edges of screen fonts and even installed GDIpp.

Most people don't notice things like this but it bugs the crap outta me.

Any suggestions?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Funny you brought this up. I have noticed it but got used to it. This bugs me out due to playing with texts in regard to web related to do things. Though my start menu looks as bad as yours, my Edge doesn’t look as bold as yours and I also have ClearType enabled.

Just had a look again comparing between 2 monitors, your start menu is also slightly bolder than mine, don’t know whether it is due to the snip. Usually, the app scaling thing only applies to the main monitor, but I didn't notice anything that 'surprised' me on my other monitors.

Apparently, this is a universal thing… don’t really know. I don’t want to play with mine now, don’t want to make things worse, but try playing with the scaling settings because Windows does do the apps scaling thing to minimise blurriness.

Good luck.

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
It's the GDIpp that's making his look a little better. I used that as well when I first started using 10, but have since stopped as it gave problems with some program(s)

The Cleartype program is useless as it looks the same to me no matter what i choose :mad:

Since I prefer the larger font you get in Safe-mode, I've opted to use THIS SOFTWARE to change my font size which seems to help make it easier to read.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Does it change if you use other resolutions? I despise HDMI as it causes a blurriness at certain resolutions of my monitor, including the native so I've stuck to DVI.

ponder

Honorary Master
Does it change if you use other resolutions? I despise HDMI as it causes a blurriness at certain resolutions of my monitor, including the native so I've stuck to DVI.
Anything that's not native res obviously looks schite.

Meelperd

and my font does not look that bad
Same here, and since Ponder has FHD display too, it should look fine.
I've stuck to DVI
This is quite interesting: My tower has DVI as well as VGA, and I've tested the quality of both (specifically text ghosting) by swithing back and forth and couldn't find any difference. I think the quality loss in VGA occurs only as you increase the VGA cable length *citation needed*. (gee, I sound like a Wiki editor) :rolleyes:

Okay @ponder, you on desktop or notebook? (notebook FHD doesn't always look as good as desktop)

ponder

Honorary Master
Okay @ponder, you on desktop or notebook? (notebook FHD doesn't always look as good as desktop)
Desktop.

There are a gazillion pages on the web covering this topic. MS changed from rgb subpixel rendering to grayscale rendering to cater for phones & tablets which looks ok on small high dpi screens. This all started with Win8 which I skipped and it's very noticeable to a lot of people, some people are oblivious to it and wont notice it if you put two images next to each other.

"The cause for Office, Modern UI and IE10 to look so bad is that they use a new graphics rendering API offered in Windows 8 (and with updates on Windows 7, too).
The new font rendering engine offered by this new API simply doesn't have Clear Type implemented. So unless Microsoft patches this new API to support Clear Type, no program using this API will ever be able to do so.
The reason why Firefox (and Chrome, to an extend) are able to use Clear Type is because they still rely on the old Windows font-rendering API.

This is a bad decision by Microsoft, but their reasoning behind that (from what i think) is also quite clear: It is based on the assumption that their future will be in the tablet market. Since ClearType only works in one direction (horizontally, that is), it is totally useless if you rotate the tablet. The other thing is animation: if you animate a Clear Type anti-aliased font, its boundaries will start to flicker. And since Modern UI is a lot about animations and transitions, this would offer a bad experience.

Last thing is the much higher ppi (pixels per inch) offered by tablet screens (>200ppi) in respect to computer monitors (mostly <=120ppi), where grayscale-anti aliasing is totally sufficient for crisp fonts.
And the worst thing: the Surface has a display with only 148ppi! So fonts look crappy on their reference design tablet.

The bad thing is: no one can help you with the font rendering problem. You're on your own, as a consumer. For me that meant to downgrade back to Office 2010, ignoring Modern UI and all apps completely and ditching IE 10 (but hey, that's a no-brainer, isn't it?)."
Here's some light reading to go over.
Code:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/poor-font-rendering-in-windows-8-blurry-text/f52a2002-d748-485c-8b9c-4862806ea94a
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3i69wy/why_do_modern_apps_and_menus_in_windows_10_have/?ref=share&ref_source=embed&utm_content=media&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=8520037e44ad4c5e917503275ae47a35&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=3i69wy
https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3htg1y/why_is_font_smoothing_still_horrible_on_low_dpi/?ref=share&ref_source=embed&utm_content=title&utm_medium=post_embed&utm_name=70cbca724ac74dbcac6abaed2ce8412d&utm_source=embedly&utm_term=3htg1y
https://msfn.org/board/topic/174172-font-rendering-is-a-mess-in-windows-10/
https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1267300-was-the-win-8-font-rendering-issue-fixed-on-windows-10/
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/why-the-fonts-in-word-2013-are-blurry/1d811744-2b48-44df-a20f-ed97c651b239?auth=1
https://ledstrain.org/d/47-anti-aliased-fonts-can-damage-eyesight-writeup/2[/QUOTE]

gamer16

Honorary Master
Its definitely something software related as the slight blurriness is captured in the snip he posted, and the text of his post right below it is perfect as its being rendered on our side correctly.Capture.PNG

@ponder

Type something with different fonts in notepad and see if there is a change

EDIT: For some or another reason the font in the snip looks shyte if zoomed differently on Chrome.

ponder

Honorary Master
Its definitely something software related as the slight blurriness is captured in the snip he posted, and the text of his post right below it is perfect as its being rendered on our side correctly.

@ponder

Type something with different fonts in notepad and see if there is a change

EDIT: For some or another reason the font in the snip looks shyte.
Changing fonts does not change the rendering method used to draw the fonts so they all look kuk.

Fonts rendered inside a browser for example are fine as the browser uses it's own rendering to display the font but the toolbar & menu fonts of the browser can still look kuk as those are rendered by the OS.

Meelperd

light reading...
rofl.gif
****, no I give up, but you did mention something that got me thinking:
to a lot of people
What if my fonts look perfect to me, but should I invite you over (please bring your own booze), it might look shite to you?

ponder

Honorary Master
What if my fonts look perfect to me, but should I invite you over (please bring your own booze), it might look shite to you?
I'm willing to bet money they will look kuk to me, you just don't notice how bad it actually is.

Install a linux distro in a vm and you will see awesome font rendering next to your win10 fonts for example. Win7 had much better font rendering, to make it even better you could install the ubuntu fonts which looked real good but still not as good as linux. After 7 things went backwards.

Last edited:

gamer16

Honorary Master
I'm willing to bet money they will look kuk to me, you just don't notice how bad it actually is.

Install a linux distro in a vm and you will see awesome font rendering next to your win10 fonts for example. Win7 had much better font rendering, to make it even better you could install the ubuntu fonts which looked real good but still not as good as linux. After 7 things went backwards.
Untitled.png