Apple, Samsung tablets lose their shine

alloytoo

Honorary Master
I think the Chinese are going to dominate this market segment with $100-$300 large screen multi-core tablets running Android.

There just does not seem to be much value add that customers are going to be willing to pay a premium for.

kianm

Honorary Master
Market getting saturated, tablets simply becoming the kids' gaming toys. Surely the sales will suffer

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
Tablets, like cellphones, are getting better by the day and that might not be such a good thing. The only good thing to come out of this is that they start becoming affordable so that the guy on the street can buy one where yesterday it seemed like only the rich and shameless could afford one.

I won the ipad mini here on the forum last year or the year before and have bought 3 refurbished Galaxy Tab 2's off amazon this year alone and was just given a Digiland android tablet a week ago and they all basically do the same stuff.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Tablets are used to read, check mail, browse or watch videos. The cheap ones do that perfectly well

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
Tablets are used to read, check mail, browse or watch videos. The cheap ones do that perfectly well
Agree. When tablets came out, I often saw it being used in meetings. But I see less and less of that lately. Seems like the big hype is over. Back to pen and paper...

pcgroupsa

i mostly agree with you on this,because there is cheaper tablets with good quality and value in the market now.look at brands like Proline they good and use friendly.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Chinese tablets lack support for rooting so that's a big problem for me also the build quality tends to suck.

blaaislaai

Executive Member
Chinese tablets lack support for rooting so that's a big problem for me also the build quality tends to suck.

+1 had two chinese tablets and both were terribly in terms of performance and build quality thus being so cheap

Vis1/0N

Expert Member
+1 had two chinese tablets and both were terribly in terms of performance and build quality thus being so cheap

+0. Had one ultra cheap one that was R500/$70/2011 that was terrible and poor quality. Learned my lesson and went to a Samsung one for a year and a half. But I needed better resolution so I gambled again and bought another Chinese one. R2400/$228/2013 great performance, good build quality.

I reasoned that in 6 months time I could go for a name brand that would have dropped in price by then (now) or I might get to choose from the latest tech - I won't though as that would be mostly a lateral move unless it has the Note style stylus.

Latest Chinese tablets can be brilliant. Some models have had more updates than branded Android devices.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
+0. Had one ultra cheap one that was R500/$70/2011 that was terrible and poor quality. Learned my lesson and went to a Samsung one for a year and a half. But I needed better resolution so I gambled again and bought another Chinese one. R2400/$228/2013 great performance, good build quality.

I reasoned that in 6 months time I could go for a name brand that would have dropped in price by then (now) or I might get to choose from the latest tech - I won't though as that would be mostly a lateral move unless it has the Note style stylus.

Latest Chinese tablets can be brilliant. Some models have had more updates than branded Android devices.
Yes they come with the latest OS but can you upgrade later? Can you root? Can you load a custom rom? Most can't and they lack documentation if you end up with a fault.

IMO Chinese tablets are fine for children and people really not worried about tech.

Ryansr

Expert Member
Agree. When tablets came out, I often saw it being used in meetings. But I see less and less of that lately. Seems like the big hype is over. Back to pen and paper...

So true! But not back to pen and paper...but smartphones with larger screens. My GS 3 mini can do most stuff easily and tethered as well without breaking a sweat! :)

Last edited:

Hamster

Resident Rodent
So true! But not back to pen and paper...but smartphones with larger screens. My GS 3 mini can do most stuff easily and tethered as well without breaking a sweat! :)

Personally I'm a big fan of pen and paper. BUT if you want something in the middle get the Boogie (spelling?) Board Jot

Ryansr

Expert Member
Personally I'm a big fan of pen and paper. BUT if you want something in the middle get the Boogie (spelling?) Board Jot

What I actually meant was that nothing would be able to match the convenience of quick scribbling on a piece of paper with a pen. Will take a look at that product though. My diary at work is my main reason for reminding myself and keeping abreast of work related crucial issues. It also helps me out in a pinch when I need to sit through a performance review. :)

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
What did I say about Lenovo? Well known, cheap, Chinese brand. Great quality laptops and now great quality tablets and cellphones at a great price. Almost got everything in my house switched over to them (Lenovo Laptop, wifes Lenovo A3000 tablet, netbook S10). Only my S4 I bought last year. Will replace the S4 next year with a Lenovo.

Samsung and Apple is only selling good because they know how to create market hype. Making you believe you need something, you can live without. Famous quote: "You need a gun, like you need a hole in the head."

Hamster

Resident Rodent
What did I say about Lenovo? Well known, cheap, Chinese brand. Great quality laptops and now great quality tablets and cellphones at a great price. Almost got everything in my house switched over to them (Lenovo Laptop, wifes Lenovo A3000 tablet, netbook S10). Only my S4 I bought last year. Will replace the S4 next year with a Lenovo.

Samsung and Apple is only selling good because they know how to create market hype. Making you believe you need something, you can live without. Famous quote: "You need a gun, like you need a hole in the head."

LOL! In which tech thread have you not mentioned Lenovo (at least I think it's you) :D

TheBossMan

Expert Member
LOL and here I thought from all the recent news articles that Tablets are the big PC killer? Or am I missing something, These things are nothing more than over prices glorified Cell phones with over sized screens. No way in hell swopping PC for this.