• Should be required for some countries

Votes: 50 32.5%
  • Are unnecessary

Votes: 75 48.7%

• Total voters

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
After reading about a recent mess regarding German tourists suddenly requiring tourists visas to come to SA I wondered what purpose they still serve. Do you think they should be a requirement? Are they a deterrent that the tourist industry simply cannot afford or are they an important tool in the fight against covid-19?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I'm not sure how a tourist visa will now suddenly be an important tool to fight against Covid-19?

As far as I can see they were "designed" to sift out undesirables and keep them out of certain countries as well as keep a lid on illegal immigration etc.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'm not sure how a tourist visa will now suddenly be an important tool to fight against Covid-19?
This statement is so invested with irrational BS it needs to be memorialised somewhere.

How would a tourist visa impact the spread of a coronavirus?
Don't look at me - the government came up with it:

Temporary measures in respect of foreign nationals in light of the COVID-19 epidemic

Withdrawal of Visa Exemptions for travellers from COVID-19 High and Medium risk countries as determined by the World Health Organisation(WHO)

VISA EXEMPTIONS WITHDRAWN FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTRIES:

• Germany
  • Italy
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • United Kingdom
  • United States of America
  • France
  • Switzerland
*NO foreign national departing from these countries will be allowed to enter the Republic of South Africa

Visas issued to persons from the following countries in terms of section 10(9) of the Immigration Act, 2002, has been cancelled with immediate effect:
  • Iran
  • People’s Republic of China
In terms of Section 10A(4)(c) of the Immigration Act, 2002, the Visa Exemption of passport holders of the medium risk countries has been withdrawn:
  • Hong Kong
  • Portugal
  • Singapore
http://www.dha.gov.za/index.php/corona-virus-information

Reactions: McT

rustypup

Expert Member
Temporary measures in respect of foreign nationals in light of the COVID-19 epidemic
Which is how we know it's BS.

Given how testing and certification work, requiring that visa applicants present a certificate to "prove" they're not infected is laughable.

Does the virus look at the cert and go "Oh, no! Foiled by bureaucracy again!"?

These chucklefarks couldn't figure their way out of a wet paper bag.

Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master
Don't look at me - the government came up with it:

Withdrawal of Visa Exemptions for travellers from COVID-19 High and Medium risk countries as determined by the World Health Organisation(WHO)

VISA EXEMPTIONS WITHDRAWN FOR THE FOLLOWING COUNTRIES:

• Germany
  • Italy
  • South Korea
  • Spain
  • United Kingdom
  • United States of America
  • France
  • Switzerland
*NO foreign national departing from these countries will be allowed to enter the Republic of South Africa

Visas issued to persons from the following countries in terms of section 10(9) of the Immigration Act, 2002, has been cancelled with immediate effect:
  • Iran
  • People’s Republic of China
In terms of Section 10A(4)(c) of the Immigration Act, 2002, the Visa Exemption of passport holders of the medium risk countries has been withdrawn:
  • Hong Kong
  • Portugal
  • Singapore
http://www.dha.gov.za/index.php/corona-virus-information
Nothing is as permenant as a temporary government program.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Necessary for some countries. But, I think South Africa is shooting itself in the foot if it imposes Visas willy-nilly like this. When the country's economy desperately needs investment, every A+++ source of foreign investment should be welcomed.

These are the lessons that the echelon in our government cannot learn. They are too far removed from the pain of the many to think with common sense.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Necessary for some countries. But, I think South Africa is shooting itself in the foot if it imposes Visas willy-nilly like this. When the country's economy desperately needs investment, every A+++ source of foreign investment should be welcomed.

These are the lessons that the echelon in our government cannot learn. They are too far removed from the pain of the many to think with common sense.
SA has a history of making things difficult for tourists.

rietrot

Honorary Master
They are intended to separate the real tourist from the fake.

We should probably scrap all tourist visas with functioning countries. Its not like a german will say he is a tourist just to get into SA and then squad here. And if he does hopefully he brings some Euros along.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Border control, is all computerized, do it should be possible to run a query, of which persons entered the country and have not exited, then give a certain time, and then go looking for the buggers, that have overstayed there welcome. But with porous borders like we have, those types are not likely to be documented. So they are documenting those that are not going to cause issues any how, they an easy target.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Just make the travellers buy one at the gate unless they are travelling on a passport from a high-risk country like Afganistan.

ronald911

Expert Member
Just make the travellers buy one at the gate unless they are travelling on a passport from a high-risk country like Afganistan.

Lol, I can imagine tourist rocking up after 16 hour flight, and immigration officer be like, "The system is offline."

[joke but true]

An ESTA like the US have for A-grade passports would be good.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Lol, I can imagine tourist rocking up after 16 hour flight, and immigration officer be like, "The system is offline."

[joke but true]

An ESTA like the US have for A-grade passports would be good.

Usually, a manual thing, every African border post that I have been through that requires a Visa was done via pen and paper + stamps in my passport.

ronald911

Expert Member
Usually, a manual thing, every African border post that I have been through that requires a Visa was done via pen and paper + stamps in my passport.

Yeap.

Even ZA visa's issued by ZA Embassy is written with pen and paper - seen in my german friend's passport who came here on work permit in 2015.

Coming into ZA "visa-free" (as a tourist), is pretty electronic these days though. They have the 3M passport scanners, computers, etc.

I have however noticed ZA Immigration officials to talk a lot, but in a friendly way.
Always asking, "Where are you coming from?", etc.

Most other passport control don't say a word.