Are you coping financially?

JohnStarr

Expert Member
With everything going on the past year.
Are you coping financially, or has the VID and price increases hit your pocket?

Personality speaking, my finances have been stuffed before the VID. Mainly due to salary cuts across the board at my last employer. Stuck it out as long as I could.

I'm sincere in this post and not attempting to minify the suffering and cash strapped out there.

Are you coping with costs of food, fuel, rent etc? Or hasn't anything changed based on recent events?

Also. Are you doing anything to improve or supplement your income right now?
Yes, I got a new job which paid significantly more. Answer to prayer really, and for the first time in a LONG time I feel more financially secure.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Yes, I got a new job which paid significantly more. Answer to prayer really, and for the first time in a LONG time I feel more financially secure.
That's my hope as well.
I'm trying hard to get a work from home position. I've been in the ICT sector for many moons.
Hussar Grill is also Spur, but just better :D
Just kidding with you ;)

ADRAM3L3CH

Just getting by now, my wife doesn't have a steady income due to covid . I'm grateful that I don't have to travel to work everyday so that is helping me save a bit. I'm just waiting to pay my car off so that will really help every month. Already cut back on cellphone contracts and takeaways. Busy with getting cheaper insurance.

duckgray

yup, been saving a lot more thanks to working from home. this is due to substantially less petrol used every month and also not buying lunch and snacks from the office every day.
so i've been able to add more to my bonds which is great.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Just getting by now, my wife doesn't have a steady income due to covid . I'm grateful that I don't have to travel to work everyday so that is helping me save a bit. I'm just waiting to pay my car off so that will really help every month. Already cut back on cellphone contracts and takeaways. Busy with getting cheaper insurance.
Just don't make the mistake I did.
Cancelled my bike insurance due to the salary cuts.
Two months later my bike was stolen.
So I've been without transport as well for almost two years.
Literally locked in and locked up.
How I've stayed sane is a conundrum.
Hardly, but could be doing alot worse. Grateful I have all the basics and have a roof over my head.
Hang in there @|tera| :)
Thanks man. Appreciate it. I have some hope left in the barrel.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
With everything going on the past year.
Are you coping financially, or has the VID and price increases hit your pocket?

Personality speaking, my finances have been stuffed before the VID. Mainly due to salary cuts across the board at my last employer. Stuck it out as long as I could.

I'm sincere in this post and not attempting to minify the suffering and cash strapped out there.

Are you coping with costs of food, fuel, rent etc? Or hasn't anything changed based on recent events?

Also. Are you doing anything to improve or supplement your income right now?
Better some days than others but overall not good trying to work it out with what I have. The general stress seems to be increasing, but I try to reroute it by doing other things...

berrypi

Yes and No. grateful for not having to worry, but took some golden nest egg to close of 85% of debt. Reduce bond payments, close off car payments (but need to replace 1 car due to reliability --- dammit!). The rest was used to help my immediate family survive during Covid.
Its tough times, but there will always be a way... It will be hard, but not lost.

JohnStarr

Expert Member
That's my hope as well.
I'm trying hard to get a work from home position. I've been in the ICT sector for many moons.

Just kidding with you ;)
They are out there. It doesn't even have to be dedicated WFH. Many companies are doing that now, and probably realising the investment in large buildings has been outted as a complete waste of money. Hot desk everything but management offices and you can save costs.
Where do you live? I got my laptop and was told I can work from home as long as I want. I do go into the office, and I am looking forward to interacting face-to-face with my new work colleagues, but this also works out well.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
They are out there. It doesn't even have to be dedicated WFH. Many companies are doing that now, and probably realising the investment in large buildings has been outted as a complete waste of money. Hot desk everything but management offices and you can save costs.
Where do you live? I got my laptop and was told I can work from home as long as I want. I do go into the office, and I am looking forward to interacting face-to-face with my new work colleagues, but this also works out well.
I'm also a fan of a work environment, office etc. I'm productive by nature.
I live in the Lowveld.
I've got some opportunities that I'm hoping work out. I've got a WFH request thread here in the job section too. Either way. I'm no giving up until I find proper employment.

R13...

Honorary Master
I'm living rent free with family at the moment. I appreciate their love and help.
It sucks to not have any money though.
I haven't bought groceries in 6 months.
I don't have any nice things in terms of food either. I receive my food for the day or a few days.

It sucks to be honest.
I can't even afford toiletries. Lol
Didn't you say you're in a new job that actually pays you unlike your previous one?

OCP

Expert Member
yes and no.

Single income and supporting 2 kids, my father-in-law (who lives with me), 3 dogs and 2 cats.
Fortunate in that I am debt free except for my bond (1/3 the value of my property) and I have a stable job + got an increase in line with CPI.
Only have the basic expenses like medical aid/insurance/etc.
No DSTV/fancy hobbies or luxuries + never spend more than a few R100 on myself/month.

But ... things are ever increasing and I have less and less money left over every month to the point where I'm basically breaking even as it is already.

Do some private work on the side which covers extra's like presents and b-day parties for kids but working on several avenues to generate extra income to make sure I stay in the positive going forward.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Didn't you say you're in a new job that actually pays you unlike your previous one?
Nope. You can link to it if you find it. But no. I didn't say that.
I said I'm working a shtload of hours each day. Which did happen for a few weeks.
I didn't receive payment for it though.

R13...

Honorary Master
Nope. You can link to it if you find it. But no. I didn't say that.
I said I'm working a shtload of hours each day. Which did happen for a few weeks.
I didn't receive payment for it though.
I meant in this thread's OP but I obviously misread. Assumed the fact you left the job was for better prospects. Anyway, sucks but at least you have a support mechanism. Not nice to have to go back home after you'd stood on your own but it is a blessing when there is somewhere to go.

JohnStarr

Expert Member
I'm also a fan of a work environment, office etc. I'm productive by nature.
I live in the Lowveld.
I've got some opportunities that I'm hoping work out. I've got a WFH request thread here in the job section too. Either way. I'm no giving up until I find proper employment.
Don't give up. My personal belief is that slowly but surely jobs will pick up. IT is something that's always needed.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I meant in this thread's OP but I obviously misread. Assumed the fact you left the job was for better prospects. Anyway, sucks but at least you have a support mechanism. Not nice to have to go back home after you'd stood on your own but it is a blessing when there is somewhere to go.
Thank you R13. I fully agree. I'm not out on the streets. It's not easy living up to standards and expectations of family though. Especially when they've got no idea of the IT industry.
Don't give up. My personal belief is that slowly but surely jobs will pick up. IT is something that's always needed.
I agree. Thank you JohnStarr.
I'm not giving up too soon.