Ask Richard Boorman anything about Showmax

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Richard Boorman is head of communications at Showmax and has been at the company since it was launched.

We are giving you an opportunity to ask Richard anything about ShowMax. He will select 10 questions to answer, and he will also select the best question which will win an Amazon Kindle Paperwhite.

There are some basic Ask Anything rules. A summary:

• One question per post. If you have multiple questions, use multiple posts.
  • No personal attacks
  • No support questions (like “My Showmax service …”)
  • No unsavoury questions
  • No trolling
  • No “Why don’t you answer my question?” posts
  • Keep it clean and civil, and ensure the discussion is constructive
Please post your questions in this thread. Richard will select and start to answer your questions at 12:00 on Wednesday 13 June.

Last edited:

rpm

Admin
Staff member
How important is South Africa for Showmax in its global strategy, and what are Showmax’s biggest selling points over Netflix in South Africa?

R13...

Honorary Master
What is preventing Showmax from matching Netflix in terms of streaming quality given that Showmax as a South African company would be more versed with the quality of this country's internet connection and the reliance of most on mobile data?

RedViking

Nord of the South
Seeing that Showmax is a partner of Dstv, can we expect Sport to come to Showmax or will it mean the death of Dstv premium subscribers?

Sugarman

Making Sugar
Is there any plans in the future from Showmax for live sports streaming as a optional extra on a streaming package?

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Any possibility of Showmax becoming independent of Multichoice any time soon? I liked the service when I used the trial, but since I don't like giving any money to their monopoly(or part thereof), I haven't been a subscriber after that yet. I would change my mind pretty quickly. And I do realise that you probably wouldn't be where you are without their assistance.

wizardofid

Executive Member
The biggest problem with online streaming in South Africa especially rural areas and lower income, is access to affordable bandwidth and enough data to stream on a regular basis, most only have access to mobile data offerings, there had been a streaming service in South Africa to zero rate data.

While this definitely presents it's challenges, while showmax have partnered with operators before like vodacom, data wasn't nearly enough to make it a long term solution is showmax planning on formulating a better plan to address this in future and partnering with operators to offer zero rated data or bigger data caps especially in the mobile data sphere for showmax.?

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Showmax seems to half-fill a gap in South African's homes when DStv is gone that Netflix does not. I provides some of the local content that we love to see, but I do find that it misses the ball in some aspects. For example, the latest series of Survivor South Africa doesn't seem to be on there, but the 32nd season of the US version actually is. Same goes for the latest Boer Soek 'n Vrou - the old stuff is on there but the newer is not. It is a shame, considering the kykNet section on Showmax that seems to be "neglected".

Now for my question: How does Showmax plan to keep up with the latest demands of customers when they have run out of the old stuff to watch?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Netflix (+- R132p) have 3305 titles here and Showmax only has 683 (R99p/m). Can you guys lower the price to say R60 p/m or add more content or is that not feasible?

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Why should anyone choose Showmax over other streaming services like say Netflix? i.e. what distinguishes you?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Why does Showmax still have the archaic 20 device limit in place? Is it possible just to cap you on concurrent streams and allow you to have unlimited devices registered or is it outside of your control (ie demanded by streaming rights t&c's etc.)?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
2GB p/hour is excessive for only 720p. Will Showmax look into VP9/AV1/H265 etc. codecs to get better compression?

Milano

Honorary Master
May we have a breakdown of subscriber numbers (or even percentages) by those based in 1. South Africa 2. Rest of Africa 3. and then the rest globally? Also, which country outside South Africa shows the fastest subscriber growth?

aybbleek

Expert Member
What is Showmax's vision/strategy around original content? Both for locally produced and internationally produced?

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
When will ShowMax introduce better quality streaming options, such as 1080p,4K and surround sound formats?

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
How does Showmax plan to differentiate itself from it's competitors? Through original content, exclusive local content, or some other strategy?

GreatWmR

Will shows like puppet nation ZA come to showmax? or more content from south african internet personalities like SuzelleDIY or Grant Hinds

freematrix

Netflix, Amazon and Hulu all produce their own original content which essentially they do not share with other providers. It therefore means the old "subscribe to get the best content model" dying.
Netflix for example are producing new 400 programs and movies per year which will never appear on Showmax and will keep me a subscriber to them because that content is fresh and not a DSTV repeat for example.

Can you seriously turn around and say you stand a chance of entertaining the user as much as Netflix from a pure original content scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.