• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

Astronauts escape malfunctioning Soyuz rocket (launch abort)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45822845

A US astronaut and a Russian cosmonaut were forced to make an emergency landing after their Russian Soyuz rocket malfunctioned en route to the International Space Station (ISS).

Shortly after taking off from Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, Nick Hague and Alexey Ovchinin reported a problem with the rocket's booster.

The men were forced into a "ballistic descent", with their capsule landing a few hundred miles north of Baikonur.
The launch appeared to be going smoothly, but some 90 seconds later Nasa, on its livestream, reported that a problem seemed to have occurred with the booster rocket between the first and second stages of separation.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
A US astronaut and a Russian cosmonaut were forced to make an emergency landing and after walking many miles come across a bar in the middle of the wilderness...

ponder

Honorary Master
Soyuz is actually a very successful rocket. Its the first abort like this since 1983.
Also one of the safest if I'm not mistaken, those things have flown more missions than a hiace taxi.

Don't want to be the sod rezponsible for cleaning the space suites as I doubt the nappies they wear can cope with the amount of brown stuff during that event...

Solarion

Honorary Master
If you follow the developments of SpaceX and Blue Origin you will see them testing systems that are designed get the crew capsule as away as fast as possible from the rocket if something happens during launch. Similar systems are one the Apollo and Soyuz capsules as well.

Gotta tell you that was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. All of it.