Astronauts escape malfunctioning Soyuz rocket (launch abort)

Blu82

Expert Member
So it seems they did a normal separation of the Soyuz capsule. It takes some balls to fly away slowly from a malfunctioning rocket instead of pressing the get out of dodge button. This song springs to mind.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
First incident since 1983. And over 139 launches.
That is pretty impressive for what is basically a machine designed to fly into space on top of a controlled explosion.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
so the Soyuz is similar to Gagarin capsule? is that why its so safe?
Nope. The modern Soyuz is based on the designs used for the failed Soviet moon program.

The only bit that comes down is the bell shaped Descent Module - and space inside it is cramped - the 3 crewmember's shoulders are literally touching.. The other two parts are jettisoned. The instrument compartment is all the hardware needed in orbit for power and propulsion. And the Orbital module is pressurized and is used by the crew in space - it also contains the docking module to the ISS.

EDIT: Fixed the most awkward typo that could happen with the word 'docking'.

Knyro

Honorary Master
our kremlin correspondant will be here soon to inform us the problem was caused by the americans, simply because it's utterly impossible for the motherland to ever do or get anything wrong
indeed, and even now, not one death

the retired NASA space shuttle pretty much guaranteed killing the entire crew on malfunctions, of which there was more than there should have been
Right on time. :ROFL:

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
8 posts and more than two hours after said "prediction" is apparently right on time?

More on time than 24 hours late to the punchline party I guess ...

I suppose it's funny if you go through life wearing your blinkers where everything confirms your own bias. Note how I didn't say anything other than quote the soyuz's service record ... oh my ... bloody agent ...

/s

eg2505

Honorary Master
are contingencies like this planned for? dont they have another soyuz connected to use for emergencies?
so they can return in case the iss gets hit by a meteor?

cant they retrofit a progress cargo ship for people to travel to the station in an emergency?

AntennaMan

Expert Member
are contingencies like this planned for? dont they have another soyuz connected to use for emergencies?
so they can return in case the iss gets hit by a meteor?

cant they retrofit a progress cargo ship for people to travel to the station in an emergency?
There is a capsule connected to the ISS. It can be used by the crew to return to earth. However, if they leave, the ISS will be uninhabited. Due to the nature of the beast, it needs lots of care and maintenance, so being left uninhabited is not ideal.
The current capsule must return around the end of December/early January at the latest. They are only allowed to stay in orbit around 200-210 days.

IIRC, Progress isn't human-rated. You don't want to take a chance like that with the lives of the astronauts.

2 biggest possibilities now are:
1. Send a Soyuz up unmanned to replace MS09 (the one currently docked to the ISS). Fairly low risk as there will be no astronauts/cosmonauts onboard.
2. Speed up the investigation to find out what went wrong, and ensure the next launch is safe.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Last edited:

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Soyuz failure probe narrows focus on collision at booster separation

Just to explain - the First stage has 4 Boosters (Marked in grey) that are bolted to the sides of the second stage. Once they are empty, they are pushed away from the second stage that then continues the flight to orbit.
3 of them seems to have separated the same way as every previous launch, but something went wrong with the 4th.

AntennaMan

Expert Member
Soyuz failure probe narrows focus on collision at booster separation

Just to explain - the First stage has 4 Boosters (Marked in grey) that are bolted to the sides of the second stage. Once they are empty, they are pushed away from the second stage that then continues the flight to orbit.
3 of them seems to have separated the same way as every previous launch, but something went wrong with the 4th.

I'm on my phone, so can't post the link, but Scott Manley has a decent explanation regarding this.