Astronomy/Space What-If

remybfg10k

Expert Member
As an avid SciFi fan I was wondering the following:

If somehow (space travel, wormhole created by LHC etc) you were transported a thousand lights years away to another planet (for the sake of keeping this basic its exactly earth like) and you then met an Extraterrestrial civilization that have offered to take you back to Earth.

How would you explain where the Sol solar system is?

smokey

Honorary Master
Ummm.... I'd probably have my Ipod and would just sing Monty Pythons Galaxy song to them. Or I'd have lots of sex with alien chicks... obviously...

Kirk FTW! He is the pioneer of "first contact" ;)

Keeper

Honorary Master
are the aliens english? if they are they most certainly know where earth is - if they don't, you can't explain it even if you know where sol system is.

best would be to draw the solar system, and let them narrow it down in their galaxy database. should be one of the 22-billion systems that have the same amount of planets.

you planning on going somewhere soon?

mercurial

MyBB Legend
A thousand light years is @#$@#$ far away. They wouldn't understand the terminologies and names we use to describe the universe and it's galaxies etc and even drawing for them won't help, because the universe is so massive, the chances are that there are millions of similar looking galaxies.

remybfg10k

Expert Member
are the aliens english? if they are they most certainly know where earth is - if they don't, you can't explain it even if you know where sol system is.

best would be to draw the solar system, and let them narrow it down in their galaxy database. should be one of the 22-billion systems that have the same amount of planets.

you planning on going somewhere soon?

Would you draw Pluto and Charon? ;)

Nokkie

Executive Member

If somehow (space travel, wormhole created by LHC etc) you were transported a thousand lights years away to another planet (for the sake of keeping this basic its exactly earth like) and you then met an Extraterrestrial civilization that have offered to take you back to Earth.

Simple, any intelligent life being in this universe know mathenmatics.

That'll be the easiest way to find our solar system...
And also knowing the constelations might help.

Last edited:

remybfg10k

Expert Member
What maths would you use though Nok, what would provide a close enough estimate of where we are?

Lets drop it to 50 light years then

smokey

Honorary Master
And when the batteries run out?

Dude... seriously?

If they had the technology to transport me home to Earth, I would assume they would have the technology to charge batteries. At least in Museums of Natural History... pfft :D

Nanfeishen

Executive Member

Okay so they dont have a Stargate and a DHD? :D

Basic knowledge of Astronomy would help.
If you know a certain amount of constellations observable from Earth, one could with the help of a decent computer, reverse compute the location to a close proximity.
(That is assuming they have decent Star Charts and computing ability, and dont run on Windows version 35.8 or something)

smokey

Honorary Master
What maths would you use though Nok, what would provide a close enough estimate of where we are?

Lets drop it to 50 light years then

Well if you knew binary and also knew that it was 50 light years, you would draw their planet, a circle and in binary put 50 light years. Then tell them to go search while you have fun.

remybfg10k

Expert Member
How would you know its 50 light years though smokey, all you know is that there are now three moons and 2 suns hehe

smokey

Honorary Master
Okay so they dont have a Stargate and a DHD? :D

Basic knowledge of Astronomy would help.
If you know a certain amount of constellations observable from Earth, one could with the help of a decent computer, reverse compute the location to a close proximity.
(That is assuming they have decent Star Charts and computing ability, and dont run on Windows version 35.8 or something)

If they didn't have all that - how would they be able to transport you back?

If you accept the assumption that they offer to take you back (anal probe and all), you could rest assured that they have powerful enough PC's and decent OS'...

smokey

Honorary Master
How would you know its 50 light years though smokey, all you know is that there are now three moons and 2 suns hehe

Well you said 50 light years, so I took it as a given that I would instinctively know - or that a paper would be published about it before the LHA blew us all to weird, foreign planets. :D

Devill

Damned
I would drink their drinks, eat their food and teach them how to make pizza.

Also if the females of the species are attractive enough I might just like it there :D

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
If you accept the assumption that they offer to take you back (anal probe and all), you could rest assured that they have powerful enough PC's and decent OS'...

Preferably minus the abal probe thank you :eek:

smokey

Honorary Master
The devill you will:p

You just echoed my sentiments perfectly. ;) Unless they ate squid... in which case I' teach them how to make a calamari wrapp:D