Asus Infinity import duties

Helgard1986

Hi all,

I am struggling with that eternal question, should I get the New Ipad (16GB is sold for R4999.99 at Kalahari.com) or look at Importing the New Asus Infinity from the USA (B&H sells the 32GB for $499 and the shipping is roughly $85). I see that the first local company to sell the Asus is aureustech.co.za for R5999.99 and the mobile docking station for R799.99 (I do not know if they are trustworthy).

I guess what it I really need to know is what it will cost me to Import the Infinity from B&H. Is there anyone who have bought a tablet of similar price from USA and imported it to South Africa? What are the duties and taxes?

Thank you,
Helgard

Jola

Honorary Master
My Infinity is en route from B&H !

I have previously ordered stuff like this from B&H, customs fees should be 14% of 110% of the value, and UPS will also charge you R100 for clearing. But sometimes there are surprises from customs.

Will be able to tell you Monday / Tuesday (already been shipped).

BTW, also ordered 64GB microSDXC card, I believe (will see) that it will work in the Infinity.

I ordered the 64GB version, I like lots of space (total 128GB), cloud does not work in SA with high mobile data cost.

Helgard1986

Thanx Jola,

That is exactly why I want the Asus. I also need space and flexibility, which you do not get with the Ipad.

Looking forward to your update.
It looks like it will be a lot cheaper importing than to wait for it to arrive in South Africa. Will probably order mine next week.
Cheers

gripen

Expert Member
Did you guys come right? What do you think of the Transformer Infinity Tablet so far? I picked up mine from the B$H Superstore in NYC - was on vacation there - I think their Dock price is a lot higher than BestBuy but BB did not have stock of anything. I've done some tweaking so it is a little quicker now but there are some annoying things. Maybe it's a tablet thing, maybe it's ICS on a tablet, I dunno. Overall I am pretty happy - the screen is incredible and battery life is great. Still trying to find some good uses for the toy :D

Helgard1986

I at the end of the day bought mine locally from WebAntics. For the 64GB with Dock it was not really that big a price difference.

I LOVE IT!!! I really enjoy my tablet. Have found a lot of uses for it. Work wise I am even more mobile now. Every now and then there is a bit of a lag or some of the games freeze, but I think that is because I do not reboot beforehand and I forget to put it in High Performance mode. I have a feeling that it is more a ICS problem than anything else. I am really looking, impatiently, forward to the Jelly Bean update.

Jola

Honorary Master
I am quite happy with my TF700T, but have had problems with some apps, specifically Pressreader and also the Financial Times app.

Other apps work very well, for example Zinio.

I use Chrome as the browser, seems to work best.

I don't believe that the video drivers on this platform are optimal yet, but hope that these issues will be resolved soon.

Helgard1986

I am also struggling a bit with press reader, Zinio works great. My Library is also not really working at this stage, but I hear that most people have issues with that app. I just use Aldiko, Perfect Viewer and Cool Reader.

gripen

Expert Member
I've optimised the crap out of the tablet now (using the guidelines on XDA) and it is running very smoothly now. I'd say the main thing was switching to Boat Browser and installing Browser2RAM. I have rooted but not unlocked the boot loader (no need as yet). I've also made sure the CPU governer is running ondemand instead of the default (interactive). Set background processes to 2 under Development settings and turn off window animation. I also modified some buiild.prop settings, that might help - definitely speeds up WiFi significantly. There are still a few niggles - the odd ANR, stupid Docking Connected notification that can't be removed, as well as the "External Storage inserted" and some small funnies (perhaps some additional stuff I would like to see that the Galaxy tabs have - such as a reboot option on the power menu).

There is a pretty cool widget that I'm using: News 24 (no, not the local version). Then of course HD Widgets for the weather and time.

Still trying to find a decent use for the tablet other than the odd browsing, facebook, gtalk, twitter.. cool toy though