Avanza dodgy rear wheels?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Last year my wife was at a cafe in Hermanus and when she walked out she saw a Toyota Avanza losing control and rolling over into a parking lot. None of the occupants where injured but the car was in a bad state.

Apartantly they felt something wrong at the rear of the car and the next moment it was out of control. She was pretty shocked after seeing it and also because she sometimes gets an Avanza to drive from the car pool at the university (she is doing her PhD).

She took this pic as she left the scene :

It was a bizarre event and I told her I am sure it is a one off incident.

That was until I read this : http://www.dieburger.com/Stories/News/19.0.1210616070.aspx

Agt mans het in ’n roomkleurige Toyota Avanza gery toe die bestuurder na bewering beheer oor die voertuig verloor het. Die motor het omgeslaan .... van Mosselbaai na Kaapstad onderweg toe dit probleme met ’n agterwiel ondervind het...

Seems the same thing happend again? Anyone else that have seen bizarre rear wheel incidents with Avanza's ?

CodeMaster

Expert Member
I see they have become very popular on the East Rand too, they are being used as taxi's in some of the informal-settlements.
*shocking* :eek:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Would be interesting to see some pics (if there are) of the Caledon/Riversonderend incident.

Stoner

As you can see from the picture the wheel itself has broken so at least it's no fault on the car itself.

Either that wheel came from a faulty batch or that wheel got a bad knock some where that weakend it to the point of failure.

After coming back from King Of The Mountain event in Ceres I drove a Avanza like a man on a mission through Bainskloof Pass. Was spinning tires/drifting coming out of tight corners and braking like crazy. You should have seen the tires not to mention the people chilling next to the road...

Car was perfect afterwards and still no problems today......mmmmm, I should have checked the tire pressures....could have gone faster :)

The only thing a Avanza does not like is strong cross winds. Try N1 past Canal Walk and you'll know what I'm talking about...

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Can be a faulty batch of rims - but if it's always that specific rear wheel, then it's something else.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Yeah winds seem to be the problem with the Avanza. My wife gets to drive many different cars since she gets them via the car pool. She drives from Stellenbosch to Hermanus every week or so and the route has lots of wind especially at Sir Lowrys pass and Bot Rivier pass.

According to her cars like the Atos and Avanza are a bit nerve wrekcing in those situations while the Livina and newer i10 fares a lot better. Speed is not really her thing but funnily enough her favorites are a Honda Jazz Vtec and VW Polo 2.0 - both of which are pretty nippy cars.

The Grand Livina is a no go overall in terms of handling in wind and overall ride comfort.

jstorm

My Avanza has done 75000km and the only replacement was front brake pads at 66000km. The tires looks good for at least another 30000km. I pack this cars boot to the roof when I go camping and it takes the load well. I have the 1.5TX with the standard toyota mags.

1.) These rims on the photo above is definitely aftermarket "mags". If you count the spokes on the photo you will see it is a seven spoke and not the standard toyota mags with eight spokes. These aftermaket rims is a "one rim fits all cars" approach which is not always a wise technical choice.

2.) Drive the way the "book" tells you or the way driving school has taught you or suffer the consequences.

Kind Regards,

Johan Storm

Waaib

Executive Member
I had an Avanza as a rental once. It's a re-badged kia/deawoo/something korean - not sure what. Drove it for a week. Head and shoulders the worst car I've ever driven in my life.

mikegill

Avanza Front suspension noises

Our Avanza's been a real workhorse, and we've taken good care of her. However when we turn sharply to the left or right (slowly), or slowly over bumps, U-turning up over a driveway etc. The front suspension makes loud' clunking sounds. Sounds to me just like the suspension's working, but my wife is more concerned. Handling's fine otherwise. Anyone else have this problem?

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Our Avanza's been a real workhorse, and we've taken good care of her. However when we turn sharply to the left or right (slowly), or slowly over bumps, U-turning up over a driveway etc. The front suspension makes loud' clunking sounds. Sounds to me just like the suspension's working, but my wife is more concerned. Handling's fine otherwise. Anyone else have this problem?

Check your CV joints as well as your steering rack.

Best to take it in for a check out though. If it's a CV joint, you're playing with fire - it MUST be replaced. Because if it "locks" up whilst driving at speed, you're in for a nasty surprise, as well as a nasty repair bill.

Fazda

Honorary Master
Sorry for those of you who own Avansas but the damned things have the engineering of an Ox wagon. They are based on the old Toyota Stallion and should not be considered for any serious driving at all.

Over the past 6 months I have seen three Avansas roll on the road between Durban and Amanzimtoti. They are top heavy, badly engineered, and if they are to be used at all they shouldn't be allowed on highways. Probably won't get you into too much trouble if used in a city.

Don't forget, they were designed to be used in Third World countries which means that they will be able to take abuse,and probably be fine pottering around at speeds up to 60 or 70, but in no way are they designed as inter city commuters.

Last edited:

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Check your CV joints as well as your steering rack.
+1 You don't want it to snap at a traffic light - trust me.

They are based on the old Toyota Stout and should not be considered for any serious driving at all.
True, folks, you need to keep in mind that the Avanza's great grand father is the Stallion...

I had an Avanza as a rental once. It's a re-badged kia/deawoo/something korean - not sure what. Drove it for a week. Head and shoulders the worst car I've ever driven in my life.
Never insult Korean cars in that way, they are way ahead of the Avanza.

Last edited:

Fader4

Expert Member
why would one buy an avanza though? the mind boggles, suppose anything with a Toyota badge will sell in this country.

Fazda

Honorary Master
CV joints would imply that the car has independent rear suspension or is front wheel drive. The Avansa doesn't fit into any of those brackets.

Voicy

Honorary Master
I see they have become very popular on the East Rand too, they are being used as taxi's in some of the informal-settlements.
*shocking* :eek:

Every 2nd taxi in the Transkei is an Avanza. Whoever the local toyota car salesman is must be loving life atm.

Having said that, I've encountered some gruesome accidents involving Avanzas, but that's prolly due to a combination of speed and overloading.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
CV joints would imply that the car has independent rear suspension or is front wheel drive. The Avansa doesn't fit into any of those brackets.
Dang.... now I really feel like a complete idiot :(
Thanks for pointing that out.

UnUnOctium

Expert Member
Had to drive one of those P.O.Ses as a rental. Weak engine, horribly balanced, centre of gravity too high, puke-worthy interior. Also not sure why anyone would buy it but it's a prime example why Honda will always be superior to Toyota :p In fact, all Toyotas have become is simply reliable, weak engines with some metalwork around them.

Also, if the guy did rice the car out, he kind of deserves it for "pimping his car bru!" but it also could've been him/her trying to make their 'Avanza Supra' look cool in the parking lot and screwing up.