Average household electricity consumption 2014

jes

MyBroadband Alumnus
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering what your average household electricity consumption is (kWh)?

It would be interesting to know the size of your household and if you have energy hogging gizmos, such as a Kreepy Krawly and pool pump.

While the general overview of info is just to add fluff to an article I'm working on, I thought this might prove interesting for everyone to compare, especially as winter is upon us and tariffs are about to go up.

Thanks!

LCBXX

Executive Member
Around 550 kW/h's in Summer and around 750 kW/h's in Winter.
Household of 2 Adults & 1 Toddler
600W Pool pump that runs daily for 7 hours
1 150L Geyser 3kW element
No PC's or Servers in the household. We use Notebooks and an Android MiniPC as a media centre, eating about 5W. 2 LCD telly's.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
900kwh per month - 3 bedroom house, two adults and a teenager

Solar geyser - no electric supplementation
1kw pool pump 6 hours a day
UPS, PC, microserver, router, CCTV etc, on 24x7
Cottage that uses 200-300kwh pm included (2 adults)

Mostly LED lighting

Going to go up a bit as it gets colder - lights on longer and also aircons used for heating.

atomcrusher

Expert Member
I use around 660 kwh per month on average
We are just 2 x adults in the house .. never run a bath, always shower.
I have two x 150L geysers connected in series, but only one (the second in line) is used unless we have guests staying overnight
I run the geyser for about 50 minutes a day, and that is enough for warm showers a.m. & p.m.
I have a .75 kw pool pump which operates for 6 hours/day in summer, & 4 hours/day in winter (it's a smallish pool of about 20KL)
We have 2 x LCD TVs (Lounge & Bedroom), but only one is used at a time.
I use 8W compact fluorescent lights on the exterior of the house.
We always switch off lights when we leave a room
We have two aircons, one in master bedroom, and one in lounge / dining area. We only use the bedroom AC unit in summer, for a couple of hours before we go to bed, and then only if it's been a very hot day (we get up to 40C here in summer)

Lupus

Honorary Master
Two bedroom townhouse, two adults, one toddler, we average out at 200 units per month. LED or CCFL bulbs in every light source, two LCD TVs, no PCs, geyser on all the time set to 65 degrees.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Two bedroom townhouse, two adults, one toddler, we average out at 200 units per month. LED or CCFL bulbs in every light source, two LCD TVs, no PCs, geyser on all the time set to 65 degrees.
That's mental. Switching to solar saved me 600kwh per month at least.

Lupus

Honorary Master
That's mental. Switching to solar saved me 600kwh per month at least.
We only shower once a day and bath my son once a day so the water is generally warm all the time, I guess that helps as we don't fill the bath up so the geyser is kept warm most of the time and not having to warm up all the time seems to cut down a lot of usage. When we used to turn the geyser off and on we actually used more electricity.

Around 500kWh in Summer, 900 kWh Winter - 2 adult humans and 2 adult Pitbulls.

2 Computers, 1 telly,CCTV with DVR; security lighting seems to account for most of it, especally since we now use Mercury vapour lights.

Boris Becker

Expert Member
1500kwh in summer and 2500kwh in winter :crying:

2 geysers, 1100kw pool pump (8 hrs/day summer and 5 hrs/day winter), washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, kids watching tv all day

3 adults, 2 kids + domestic workers during the day

pezulu

Expert Member
3 bedroom townhouse - 795kWh
2 adults + 2 teens + 2 friends of theirs showering.
1 x 150L geyser, 1 x LED TV, 1 x CRT TV.
All lights replaced with energy savers.

last month was 1192 kWh

3 adults 2 kids 2geezers washing machine works everyday, dishwasher, tumbledryer, tv on the whole day, 3PC's on 24x7

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Really need to "rationalise" the geyser situation at my house... so I average about 1200 - 1300 kwh.. :(

3 geysers, though 1 of them is permanently off at the moment...

Salvage

Monthly averages 620kw in summer, 850kw in winter

2xBed townhouse with 2 adults, one toddler. More electronics and gadgets than 2 adults should reasonably own :)
Geyser on, constantly set to 70 degrees. We also found we used more juice more by switching it on and off daily rather than just letting it maintain a constant temperature. No pool. We use our oven on average every second evening.

valiente

R43.58 in April.

Only me with geyser on for 45 minutes before I grab a shower
PC on 24/7 but mostly on power save mode when downloading.

Beachless

Executive Member
That makes a huge difference.

I'm on about 350kWh a month with 2 micro servers running all the time and normal 50-100w globes.
I'm tackling a recirculating water panel next and I need to swop to LED lighting.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
If you don't want to go solar:
http://giveitgas.co.za/product-category/geysers/atlas-geysers/

I have the 20lpm turbo model.
I will be going for a smaller one like this when I redo my kitchen, that should reduce electricity consumption by quite a chunk.

Will also rationalise from 2 geysers down to 1 in the main house when I redo the bathrooms (only because I have to redo massive amounts of plumbing to do the rationalisation).. and probably find a solar bolt on kit for that geyser.

Trying to figure out how to do the granny flat in the most cost effective way though. That could be interesting.