Axxess DSL - Just ordered

RVR

Expert Member
Hi guys

I just ordered the 20mpbs (my exchange only supports this). The application is done but now do i wait for technicians to come and set it up or will i have to do it myself when the router arrives to me etc

Not sure if it straight forward like adsl was.

Carlo Koekemoer

Do you already have an adsl line that is active ? If so they do it on their side no need for technician , but if you need adsl line they will have to come install it

MEG101

When you place the order via the website, you enter all the relevant details needed and a technician from Openserve will contact you to book the installation date. They then come tp your house to do the physical line installation if needed and make sure your line is syncing with the exvhange. He will also test the line for noise to determine if the line supports the speed ordered. You can plug in the modem into the line and enter the DSL username and password received from Axxess do the other setups needed and wait for the DSL line to become solid and the internet light blinking. The line has to be "signed off" by Openserve to Axxess before you will have internet access. This process can take anything from 24 - 48 hours up to 2 weeks for the line to be activated and "singned off". It is worth the wait as Axxess offers uncapped unshaped and unthrottled internet on Just DSL packages with No Fair Use Policy. My household has already used 180GB since 3 days ago, and the line is flying along. You are billed pro rata for the remainder of the month when your line is activated. The service is awesome to have. You will enjoy it!!

RVR

Expert Member
When you place the order via the website, you enter all the relevant details needed and a technician from Openserve will contact you to book the installation date. They then come tp your house to do the physical line installation if needed and make sure your line is syncing with the exvhange. He will also test the line for noise to determine if the line supports the speed ordered. You can plug in the modem into the line and enter the DSL username and password received from Axxess do the other setups needed and wait for the DSL line to become solid and the internet light blinking. The line has to be "signed off" by Openserve to Axxess before you will have internet access. This process can take anything from 24 - 48 hours up to 2 weeks for the line to be activated and "singned off". It is worth the wait as Axxess offers uncapped unshaped and unthrottled internet on Just DSL packages with No Fair Use Policy. My household has already used 180GB since 3 days ago, and the line is flying along. You are billed pro rata for the remainder of the month when your line is activated. The service is awesome to have. You will enjoy it!!
Thanks, that's a good explanation lol

What username and password though? Usually if you access a router login page it would be like "admin" for both unless you talking about AXXESS login on their website.

Haven't received any username and password.

MEG101

Thanks, that's a good explanation lol

What username and password though? Usually if you access a router login page it would be like "admin" for both unless you talking about AXXESS login on their website.

Haven't received any username and password.
I am referring to the Axxess username and password for the DSL account that you configure into your router. That is if you purchased your own router, I am not sure if you order the router through Axxess and if it is pre configured. The username and password for the router is usually "admin" and "admin" - the details are at the bottom of the router. When the service was ordered, Axxess should have sms you the DSL account username and password to the number you provided on sign up. Otherwise, please contact Axxess support line. You should also have created a Axxess account on the website for login. Keep me posted.

RVR

Expert Member
Oh yes, will do!

Thanks for the help, appreciate it!

RVR

Expert Member
I am referring to the Axxess username and password for the DSL account that you configure into your router. That is if you purchased your own router, I am not sure if you order the router through Axxess and if it is pre configured. The username and password for the router is usually "admin" and "admin" - the details are at the bottom of the router. When the service was ordered, Axxess should have sms you the DSL account username and password to the number you provided on sign up. Otherwise, please contact Axxess support line. You should also have created a Axxess account on the website for login. Keep me posted.
Oh yes, will do!

Thanks for the help, appreciate it!

Carlo Koekemoer

He will enjoy it even more than we do cause he ordered 20mb not 10 mb lol , think I will upgrade next month already found out the exchange here supports 20mb vdsl

MEG101

He will enjoy it even more than we do cause he ordered 20mb not 10 mb lol , think I will upgrade next month already found out the exchange here supports 20mb vdsl
Yes, I think he definitely will, not to brag but my usage for current month stand at 270GB for just under a week that we have the line, and that is streaming, updating phones, app downloads, Xbox gaming and updates - all working seamlessly on 10mbps line. The R150 price difference for 20mbps VDSL line is tempting. Fiber is being laid in the town, and we will upgrade to fiber when it is ready and probably keep the DSL line as backup. In the meantime we are enjoying the DSL experience!!

Supervan II

Expert Member
Do you already have an adsl line that is active ? If so they do it on their side no need for technician , but if you need adsl line they will have to come install it
Please explain this to the folk at Axxess ...

They have sent out Openserve technicians twice "to do a line installation", and this after being specifically informed that I am already connected via ADSL. The technicians have reported same to Axxess, yet I am still waiting for more than a month for them to provide me with a service.

I give up - I have never had to deal with such incompetence, ever. And, as an ex-manager, never tolerated it either. :mad:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Please explain this to the folk at Axxess ...

They have sent out Openserve technicians twice "to do a line installation", and this after being specifically informed that I am already connected via ADSL. The technicians have reported same to Axxess, yet I am still waiting for more than a month for them to provide me with a service.

I give up - I have never had to deal with such incompetence, ever. And, as an ex-manager, never tolerated it either. :mad:

Openserve Pure Connect works differently. If you have an active line already it can't be converted to Pure Connect you need an ISP that still offers copper connect.

Pure Connect allocates a new number and new install that is totally seperate to what might already be activated. Pure Connect lines can't be migrated between ISPs and existing adsl lines can't be changed to Pure Connect lines.

Supervan II

Expert Member
Openserve Pure Connect works differently. If you have an active line already it can't be converted to Pure Connect you need an ISP that still offers copper connect.

Pure Connect allocates a new number and new install that is totally seperate to what might already be activated. Pure Connect lines can't be migrated between ISPs and existing adsl lines can't be changed to Pure Connect lines.
Then someone should have a word with the Openserve technicians in my area as this is not what they say.

All that is happening currently is blame-shifting between Axxess and Openserve and I, the customer, is being left to my own devices ...

cavedog

Honorary Master
Then someone should have a word with the Openserve technicians in my area as this is not what they say.

All that is happening currently is blame-shifting between Axxess and Openserve and I, the customer, is being left to my own devices ...

So those are the options. You can have openserve install the pure dsl on the second pair of copper cables or just cancel everything you have now and just let them installthe pure dsl after it's cancelled.

MEG101

I think in my case it was different as there was already a line running into my house and all the technician did was made sure the line was connected to the exchange and installed a new line from the connector block inside the house to the telephone socket where the modem line connects to. As you already have a active ADSL line installed and activated, I think this is where the confusion comes in, they see that there is a active service on the premises. That is what I cannot understand why they are struggling as there is 2 pair wires coming into a house from the pole that one pair is used for a ADSL service and phone and the other is spare - that was sometimes used for a fax line if you required that back in the day along a telephone service. Like cavedog said, you have two options - either cancel everything you have now and unforunately be without internet for a while, or get someone that can understand that there are a second pair wires available for a standard Just DSL to be activated. Either way, I hope the light bulb comes on somewhere and they sort you out. Fingers crossed!!

Supervan II

Expert Member
I think in my case it was different as there was already a line running into my house and all the technician did was made sure the line was connected to the exchange and installed a new line from the connector block inside the house to the telephone socket where the modem line connects to. As you already have a active ADSL line installed and activated, I think this is where the confusion comes in, they see that there is a active service on the premises. That is what I cannot understand why they are struggling as there is 2 pair wires coming into a house from the pole that one pair is used for a ADSL service and phone and the other is spare - that was sometimes used for a fax line if you required that back in the day along a telephone service. Like cavedog said, you have two options - either cancel everything you have now and unforunately be without internet for a while, or get someone that can understand that there are a second pair wires available for a standard Just DSL to be activated. Either way, I hope the light bulb comes on somewhere and they sort you out. Fingers crossed!!
Thanks for the response. I have since cancelled everything. Will contact Openserve directly later (when I'm in the mood to deal with them.

In the meantime I still have my ADSL & ISP, even though it is costing me somewhat. Will look around at available deals.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Thanks for the response. I have since cancelled everything. Will contact Openserve directly later (when I'm in the mood to deal with them.

In the meantime I still have my ADSL & ISP, even though it is costing me somewhat. Will look around at available deals.

Hey, As mentioned the stand alone DSl called Pure Connect from Openserve is a separate service. In most cases clients have more than 1 copper pair into the property and that allows for more than 1 Voice and ADSL line to be installed.

If clients have active voice lines with Telkom I always recommend having Openserve install on the second pair and then the client can decide if they want to cancel with Telkom or keep the voice part.

Think of Pure Connect DSL like a fibre line. It still works on the existing copper cables that are there but it's a completely separate service from what Telkom used to sell where you were forced to take a voice line with them.

Supervan II

Expert Member
Hey, As mentioned the stand alone DSl called Pure Connect from Openserve is a separate service. In most cases clients have more than 1 copper pair into the property and that allows for more than 1 Voice and ADSL line to be installed.

If clients have active voice lines with Telkom I always recommend having Openserve install on the second pair and then the client can decide if they want to cancel with Telkom or keep the voice part.

Think of Pure Connect DSL like a fibre line. It still works on the existing copper cables that are there but it's a completely separate service from what Telkom used to sell where you were forced to take a voice line with them.
Yet the Openserve technician who visited my premises assures me that the "extra" pair of wires are already connected at the street distribution box/exchange ... and that any further connection/switching will be done on their side - there is no need for any installation to be done on my premises - and this is where everything falls flat!

False advertising perhaps? See below:

Good Day

Please be advised that the provider cancelled the order due to the below:

"Install Fail: Line requested to be cancelled by the customer as they already have service 041xxxxxxx. Confirm and provide final instructions."

Address: xx XXXXX Street

Kindly advise if we can cancel the order from your account as we cannot provide you with a service. Please let us know if you need further information.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Yet the Openserve technician who visited my premises assures me that the "extra" pair of wires are already connected at the street distribution box/exchange ... and that any further connection/switching will be done on their side - there is no need for any installation to be done on my premises - and this is where everything falls flat!

False advertising perhaps? See below:

Good Day

Please be advised that the provider cancelled the order due to the below:

"Install Fail: Line requested to be cancelled by the customer as they already have service 041xxxxxxx. Confirm and provide final instructions."

Address: xx XXXXX Street

Kindly advise if we can cancel the order from your account as we cannot provide you with a service. Please let us know if you need further information.

Morning,

The technician might not be aware. In most cases there is at least 2 x pairs of copper wires. When copper was installed they rolled it out like that to provide people with a separate fax line to their normal landline.

No fax is not really popular and that means you can have at least 2 x dsl lines at the same property on the same cable before an addition cable is required.

I myself had 3 x dsl lines at the same property on the same cable. The Openserve technician came and just installed a new wall RJ11 port for each copper pair and wrote the service numbers on each port so I knew which port is which number and it worked really well.

It is a bit of work as they need to trace the extra pair to the db and join it up all the way but it is definitely possible.

I would suggest contacting Axxess to place a new order or ask them to reschedule the installation again.