Axxess Promotion

Jade @ ZA Domains

ZA Domains representative
Company Rep
Not sure if this has been posted or how long it's been running for but I just stumbled across it now.

https://www.axxess.co.za/hosting/linux-shared

Free hosting for 6 months & co.za domain

edit*

And free SSL encryption
Good to see Axxess tackling the hosting market so aggressively, how ever I must admit that I have given letsencrypt some serious consideration and for the most part as much as I support the idea of encrypting the web I can definitely see many negatives regarding this project.

Letsencrypt opens the flood gates for scammers to promote SSL on a spamvertised website where they would typically not be bothered to purchase and ssl in an attempt to convince their victims that their websites are legitimate.

Will be interesting to see how google handles rankings of websites that have SSL enabled via letsencrypt vs websites that have legitimate SSL certs installed, considering that Chrome (google) are a major sponsor.

Riven

Just remember AXXESS and Afrihost does not give hosting or VPS support after hours.
Something goes wrong late on a Friday, you will have to wait for them to work through the mail support logs on Monday and eventually get a mail back asking what you did. W..?

chopsky

Expert Member
Letsencrypt opens the flood gates for scammers to promote SSL on a spamvertised website where they would typically not be bothered to purchase and ssl in an attempt to convince their victims that their websites are legitimate.

Will be interesting to see how google handles rankings of websites that have SSL enabled via letsencrypt vs websites that have legitimate SSL certs installed, considering that Chrome (google) are a major sponsor.
Google will treat all brands equally (paid or free). 'HTTPS' is the ranking signal - not the brand or certificate type itself. There's also no real reason for them to favour one brand over another. They may be one of the sponsors of the Let's Encrypt project, but it's just one of the many SSL initiatives they're involved in, and they happen to use Geotrust SSL's on their own sites. Also, Let's Encrypt is a legitimate SSL certificate. It's simply a bare-bones solution without certain benefits that the other providers offer.

I also don't necessarily agree that Let's Encrypt opens the flood gates for scammers. Yeh, some scammers will definitely use their certs to 'woo' users, but your average domain validated cert is just about as easy for a scammer to obtain (and very cheap).

There are indeed some better reasons to purchase a premium branded cert over a Let's Encrypt SSL.

Last edited:

chopsky

Expert Member
Just remember AXXESS and Afrihost does not give hosting or VPS support after hours.
Something goes wrong late on a Friday, you will have to wait for them to work through the mail support logs on Monday and eventually get a mail back asking what you did. W..?
Was my biggest gripe with them. Had a major issue one Saturday afternoon, and ended up having to wait until Monday morning for it to be resolved.

m0zy

Expert Member
Was my biggest gripe with them. Had a major issue one Saturday afternoon, and ended up having to wait until Monday morning for it to be resolved.
But then again Free is Free. And lord know how much I like FREE :D

Sodan

Expert Member
Can we deploy our own nodejs (or other) applications with these hosting plans?

DaveDave2013

These guys are useless - host15 down for more than a day and they claim everything is 100%.

#notcool.

halfmoonforever

Expert Member
I see Afrihost is losing so much hosting business that they're trying to push it through their other company Axxess....

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Back in December I started to move my folks over from Mweb to Axxess. It start with an Axxess mobile SIM that they use for internet at the holiday house. Then I bought 4mbps uncapped ADSL data to replace their Mweb account, then we moved the line and finally yesterday their domain was moved.

I was delighted at not only the ease with which Axxess did all this, but also the 6 months free hosting, and most of all - the speed! This is a simply single page website with a PHP contact form. On Mweb it took 30 seconds at least to submit the contact form. On Axxess it is a second. This is entry level shared linux hosting we're talking about here.

I'm blown away. Well done Axxess.

Personally I host with Host4Africa and my data is a Vox Promo account. I do have a Axxess mobile account that my wife uses. If I ever have to move ISP or hosting again it will be to Axxess.

Last edited: