Bass guitar

Alan

Honorary Master
So I'm seriously thinking of getting one. I'm a total novice at playing music except air guitar obviously. Any recommendations on which one to get? Cheaper the better because the odds of this experiment turning out right is not very good lol :D

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Why don't you learn normal guitar first and then move to bass?

Just_Ice

Executive Member
Keep to air, its cheap and Im sure you better at that then any orher guitar :D
I also agree though start on an acoustic first then once you have got the hang of that you can give bass a go.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Is bass really that hard to grasp?
No it's not that hard. It is just recommended to learn normal guitar first because then you will have most if not all the technical ability.

timgaul

Honorary Master
Is bass really that hard to grasp?
No, not at all. Though if you learn acoustic first it helps understand where bass fits in, plus you'll have all the basics sorted out before you even start playing bass.

Bass can be a lot more fun though. :D

Alan

Honorary Master
I'll fiddle around first and see where it takes me :D

Freshy-ZN

Executive Member
Alan, can you hurry up please? We need a bassist to complete our band as the one we use now is unreliable due to being committed to another pro band.

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
Ibanez have good bass guitars, but they're a tad bit on the expensive side. But, you get what you pay for :) Yamaha bass guitars are also good, but it also depends on what you want, rock / classic / jazz bass.

Take your accoustic, and play the top 4 strings only, get to grips with the bass sounds, and then if you're happy get a guitar.

Waaib

Executive Member
So I'm seriously thinking of getting one. I'm a total novice at playing music except air guitar obviously. Any recommendations on which one to get? Cheaper the better because the odds of this experiment turning out right is not very good lol :D
You have a budget in mind? gumtree always has good deals on it.

Re learning normal guitar first ... I don't agree. Bass is more about scales than chords (IMO) so I reckon give bass a go if that's what you're into. No sense spending time on something that might frustrate you and you end up packing everything in.

I think that bass is tougher learn because it's tough to practice alone. Check this site for backing tracks you can play along to (only downside is they don't give the key so you'll need to google for the TAB to get the key) http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/