BBM access by Gov questioned

SinghDude

Chief Sports Analyst
is this for the war on terror or does govt want to control access of the media ?

No more free speech....

alnad

"But Business Day reported that Bapela’s comments puzzled technology experts, who said that the Regulation of Interception of Communication Act would include the tracking of BBM being permitted if crimes were committed."

How exactly would RICA help telecoms to track the BBM messages? Did the government sign an agreement with RIM when they launched RICA? Don't think so. Out of experience I can tell you that this is not possible, or not through RICA at least. And what makes people think that criminals are using devices that are actually RICA'd on their iccid and id number? RICA = Fail.

alnad

RICA will save us? Really?

"But Business Day reported that Bapela’s comments puzzled technology experts, who said that the Regulation of Interception of Communication Act would include the tracking of BBM being permitted if crimes were committed."

How exactly would RICA help telecoms to track the BBM messages? Did the government sign an agreement with RIM when they launched RICA? Don't think so. Out of experience I can tell you that this is not possible, or not through RICA at least. And what makes people think that criminals are using devices that are actually RICA'd on their iccid and id number? RICA = Fail.

krycor

Honorary Master
I think its a bit silly..

1. having a BB and using BBM for messaging is cool.. but as soon as you legislate tracking of messages(they do not monitor the content unless court ordered to) you bascially asking people to quickly make their own messaging system..
2. BB have a net service.. guess what.. BBM might be the only pre-installed service, but there are PLENTY of other services that run on there too, gtalk, msn, yahoo, aim, icq, etc and these go from cell to pc/other device.
3. How long before a new 'secure' additionally encrypted chat system with additional security is on the BB app market ;)
4. Andriod, IOS etc all scheduled to launch their own versions soon.

ie. never ending battle

Tacet

Expert Member
What's the buzz about? Lawful interception is an old thing, it's nothing new. Landlines, mobile phones, even satellite communication - all can be accessed by the police if they have the necessary court orders. This has been a legal requirement for a long time. The way I see it, the government now wants to apply the same old rule to a new product.

d$k_1

I am so glad hey took into consideration of the costs involved in monitoring a BB service network especially in an ever demanding BB market such as South Africa. The cost would be enormous, I mean insanely high. They should rather focus their attention to everyday crime. The Government is like a child poking a dragon expecting the dragon to give the dragon hugs. When the dragon wants to $$%^& you up

Dups!

ANC are making the old nats look like a joke
Funny how people find ways to criticise the ANC before engaging their brains. This has nothing to do with the ANC but implications of encrypted information sharing and criminals.

As quoted by others, Saudi and Britain have done this very same thing.

marine1

Honorary Master
Funny how people find ways to criticise the ANC before engaging their brains. This has nothing to do with the ANC but implications of encrypted information sharing and criminals.

As quoted by others, Saudi and Britain have done this very same thing.
Really? How stupid of me to think the ANC would use this for all the wrong reasons :rolleyes:

BlaBlaGreg

RIM tells the DMinister to get stuffed
+1 for RIM

BBM had become the favoured way of executing crimes, Deputy Communications Minister Obed Bapela told the Southern Africa Telecommunication Networks and Applications Conference in East London on Monday.
According to a report in The New Age, Bapela said BBM posed a security risk that the government needed to “address with urgency”.
What a crock of shyte. "The favoured way of executing crimes" remains brutally, without malice and preferably with a gun in hand.

You are not going to prevent crime by decrypting BBM texts after the crime has been committed numbnuts. Get off your fat butt and support the active policing of our neighboorhoods. And if the police are hoping to be able to stop riots from spreading by blocking BBM, again it'll probably be too little too late. And you'd have to block access to BBM, Twitter, SMS, mobile networks, the lot. That, and arrest the protesters when you are standing in front of them having bricks thrown at you, not try to find them a week later by watching a shaky video clip and asking people to come forward with information to help you find them.

A "security risk"?? Equates to a standard knee-jerk reaction: if you don't understand something, ban it, burn it or beat it. The DepMin clearly has a limited understanding of these things.