BBM for iOS, Android gets launch window

House

Banned
Heins re-iterated that Android and iOS would only receive the “core BBM experience”, while BlackBerry 10 would remain the premier platform for the messaging service.
Why the f@ck would anyone then want to download BBM on an Android or iOS when better services are available? Besides, its the umpteenth time the launch date gets moved for this. Just like with the release of all their new devices.... and when it comes eventually its a pot full of *****

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Why the f@ck would anyone then want to download BBM on an Android or iOS when better services are available? Besides, its the umpteenth time the launch date gets moved for this. Just like with the release of all their new devices.... and when it comes eventually its a pot full of *****
It is an exit strategy for the millions of teen girls stuck on BlackBerry because all their friends are stuck on BlackBerry and no-one dares be the first to NOT be on bbm.

Electron1

Expert Member
I don't mind waiting for BBM, lots of people still use Blackberry, and it's going to be free....

bwana

MyBroadband
So nothing new since the original announcement?

akescpt

Honorary Master
waiting impatiently. missing the bbm status updates...

bwana

MyBroadband
So not any time soon
All they said from the beginning was summer. People bought into the rumour that it would be the 27th of June but that's not Blackberry's fault, is it.

Tahir Ally

All they said from the beginning was summer. People bought into the rumour that it would be the 27th of June but that's not Blackberry's fault, is it.
Register at www.BBM.com for the download link to be emailed to you when it's available for iOS and Android.

Friggs

I will gladly use this, Whatsapp is decent and all but I HATE the last seen time stamp and that it shows me online. If I get a message from one person and don't want to acknowledge it or reply to it just yet then it means I cannot msg anybody else because I will have to go 'online' to do that. Very annoying.

And as much as I hate BB as a device and the despise the OS (haven't used 10, don't plan too either), BBM was always a very good IM client that worked well for me. I also prefer the BBM smileys to the rubbish in Whatsapp.

I will gladly use this, Whatsapp is decent and all but I HATE the last seen time stamp and that it shows me online. If I get a message from one person and don't want to acknowledge it or reply to it just yet then it means I cannot msg anybody else because I will have to go 'online' to do that. Very annoying.

And as much as I hate BB as a device and the despise the OS (haven't used 10, don't plan too either), BBM was always a very good IM client that worked well for me. I also prefer the BBM smileys to the rubbish in Whatsapp.
You can turn on/off the last seen timestamp. Settings>Chat settings>Advanced

Dylan_G

Expert Member

I know its a bit of a bother, but apparently you can turn off your data BEFORE opening Whatsapp, do what you need to, exit and turn data back on and it would appear as if you were never online. ;)

I don't have this option. I have an HTC Desire S running ICS and the latest version of Whatsapp...

Friggs

I stand corrected but doesn't this simply remove it from your view? I had the option on iPhone and although I didn't test it thoroughly it seemed that all it did was remove it from my view, I couldn't see when other people were online or when last seen but they could still see me... Also, don't have the option on Android.

@Dylan, yeah i sometimes do that, just put it in airplane mode and all connections are off.

I stand corrected but doesn't this simply remove it from your view? I had the option on iPhone and although I didn't test it thoroughly it seemed that all it did was remove it from my view, I couldn't see when other people were online or when last seen but they could still see me... Also, don't have the option on Android.
Once toggled to OFF, contacts on WhatsApp won’t be able to see when you were last online or even if you are presently online and you also can't see when your where last online but you can see if they are currently online.

spidaman

Expert Member
Once toggled to OFF, contacts on WhatsApp won’t be able to see when you were last online or even if you are presently online and you also can't see when your where last online but you can see if they are currently online.
I think this is only available on iOS and not android.