BBM on Iphone... Is there such a thing?

cwmacker

I was wondering will we ever see bbm (blackberry messenger) on an iphone (with or without the apple or RIM agreeing with it)?

Does it exists?
Will it ever happen?
Is it even possible?

ScrnScrm

Expert Member
No. But you can get your BB friends to install Whatsapp. Its similar... You will of course need to have it on your iphone as well...

Dean

Expert Member
Download an app called "WhatsApp"

It's essentially BBM for iPhone, Blackberry and there is a BETA version available publicly for Nokia/Symbian.

Finals for both Nokia/Symbian and Android are on the way.

Dovi

Expert Member
I find WhatsApp has major issues with message delivery being late. I also find messages from my iPhone sometimes don't deliver to a BlackBerry until the BlackBerry sends the iPhone a message, then they come through in one batch.

Dean

Expert Member
Yea there are a couple of issues here and there but I'm sure they'll iron them out soonish.. they're developing at a mad rate, seems like they're focused on getting all the platforms online and hopefully once that's done, they'll focus on the little bugs.

Not saying that's necessarily the best way to do it but hey... optimism :)

Way69

Think its going to take some hard convincing to get BB people to install trash like this on their phones, just so that they can chat to iPhone users. Why dont you iPhone people just install something like fring, that way the BB guys can at least use a native app like google talk instead of this garbage?

Dean

Expert Member
Think its going to take some hard convincing to get BB people to install trash like this on their phones, just so that they can chat to iPhone users. Why dont you iPhone people just install something like fring, that way the BB guys can at least use a native app like google talk instead of this garbage?

No need to do any convincing...
Most of my mates already have it on theirs, since the Nokia version was released... I downloaded it and joined them.

For all I care, not one single person could download it - its definitely not meant to allow me to contact the world. Just saving a good few bucks with the mates I contact a lot.

Having said that, all my peers with BBs and iPhones alike have loved the idea and downloaded it immediately :)

oronte

Expert Member
Sorry whatsapp is not going to catch on to Blackberry until the app uses BIS (which is something the developers can do). It doesn't at the moment which means when you use it you're put on the MTN/vodacom data network: besides not getting emails and not being able to use other instant messengers we have to pay for all data then and Blackberry users NEVER pay for data.
It's a bit sad that iphone users harp on about having a million apps for their phone but no google talk, msn, aol, yahoo or icq all of which come standard with Blackberry.

Last edited:

Dean

Expert Member
Sorry whatsapp is not going to catch on to Blackberry until the app uses BIS (which is something the developers can do). It doesn't at the moment which means when you use it you're put on the MTN/vodacom data network: besides not getting emails and not being able to use other instant messengers we have to pay for all data then and Blackberry users NEVER pay for data.

AFAIK, it does use BIS... and either way - the amount of data used is minimal when compared to the saving on SMS/calls.

Again, to reiterate - why do you even see it as an issue that "it's not going to catch on..." blah blah... it's plain and simply a non-issue.
Just pick 4/5 people you're in contact with all the time, who have BBs/iPhones/Symbian handsets and get them to install it.

Trust me, within days your life will be changed :)

I don't see why you people think this should be the Facebook of phones... it's not about how many friends you have or how many people use it - it's about saving money on texts and calls to a few people you contact a lot. End of story...

But hey if you guys are looking for a bandwagon to jump onto, be my guest.

Last edited:

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I was wondering will we ever see bbm (blackberry messenger) on an iphone (with or without the apple or RIM agreeing with it)?

Does it exists?
Will it ever happen?
Is it even possible?

It will never happen. Apple and RIM are the direct competitors and BBM is one of the advantages that BB has. Unless apple pay to use BBM but I doubt that will happen.

oronte

Expert Member
BBM and Googletalk have already done that I see no reason for yet another im app personally but there are probably others who do.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
BBM and Googletalk have already done that I see no reason for yet another im app personally but there are probably others who do.
Another app doesnt hurt if it helps keeps you in contact with people not fortunate enough to have a blackberry. The apps integrate fairly well into my centralised inbox.

That said whatsapp is a bit crude and could do with a bit of refinement. I havent seen any indication on my billing over the past few days that would indicate it doesn't use BIS.

oronte

Expert Member
I haven't tried the current version, but when I tried it earlier this year it did not.

Keeper

Honorary Master
add a bookmark on Safari, that points to fsms.co.za

if you are connected to a wifi, you should be able to send free smses to anyone in South Africa.

I don't do this so i'm not 100% sure if it will work, but in theory it should.