BBM shutting down

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
BBM shutting down

The consumer edition of BBM, formerly known as BlackBerry Messenger, will be closed on 31 May 2019.

BlackBerry Messenger was launched on 1 August 2005 and initially only worked on BlackBerry devices.

It's still alive? :oops:

I was a BBM addict back in the day. Really resisted moving to Whatsapp. But once I did I never looked back.

It really only appealed when BIS was still a thing.

Corelli

I enjoyed Blackberrys but I must have been the only one at their CT launch that didnt get a testing device and had to almost carve my eyes out due to stupid apps other people designed. Yes a tour app (guess me being one of the founders of Tripadvisor wasnt good enough). So I left, and purely designed about 200 new apps on IOS and Android instead. Havent looked back, and newer will. You were great, but your phones after the 9720 really sucked. There is still a lot of potential for an actual keyboard phone (Dont laugh, but have you seen how many idiot execs buy a keyboard for their ipad? Havent they heard of dictation apps?)

Corelli

Mxit was just dodgy, stupid rooms, and you kept having to pay for dumb ass stuff. Honestly it sucked. With tripadvisor it was fine. Design a simple chat interface without any complications for the users. allow to send small files and images, let alone songs of certain sizes, and that was that. Dont add rooms, or gimmicks etc. Let the users design their own groups, and have no involvement in who they add, or how it looks, or how it's controlled. Also basically dont charge anyone for using the service.

Thats how tripadvisor partly started too. They started with another plan, and then bought out one of my review sites, and integrated it fully. The review site was started when I was asked to tip an irritating waiter after waiting for 2 hours for a steak. Really awful service, but they kept demanding I tip. So got grumpy and built a review site with one review. When it was sold and integrated for them, it had over 1 million reviews of restaurants world-wide. The idea, create a simply website where users can fill in their own details if it doesnt exist, and put in restaurant details. Anyone could then review it, but would be blocked from using swear words etc. I didnt have to control it. I attached it to yahoo back then, and it just worked. It made me a pretty penny and some shares.

jannievanzyl

Telecoms expert
The evolution from one IM to another (be it SMS, MxIt, BBM, etc.) teaches us that any app, however popular can be disrupted. WhatsApp might be king of the IM space right now, but as good a chance that something else will be dominany 5 or 8 years from now.

sajunky

Honorary Master
The evolution from one IM to another (be it SMS, MxIt, BBM, etc.) teaches us that any app, however popular can be disrupted. WhatsApp might be king of the IM space right now, but as good a chance that something else will be dominany 5 or 8 years from now.
^This. Open source client.