Be broadband, worth anything?

eg2505

Honorary Master
So after begging and pleading my landlord for a while, and not hearing anything about fibre rollouts where we live.

I notice a strange looking aerial on of my complex buildings,

Also I see a strange SSID suddenly appear on my WiFi, be broadband xxxyyy

Confused, didn't think too much about it.
Until earlier today, when I saw them setting up a promo tent nearby.

So they offering a R1500 installation once off and then R500 a month for 10 Mbps line, and 20 Mbps for R650 no caps, no throttling, no restrictions always online.

Thought to ask here, are they worth anything?

And now the second part of my question,

Do they go into any kind of deals with landlords and property managers to muscle out fibre rivals like SADV or DFA
To block them from rolling out fibre in a certain complex?

As I find it strange that I've never heard of them up till now, and suddenly here is a aerial and installation and everything else,
But no furking fibre where we live, even though the fibre runs outside our street.

Maybe @pinball wizard can enlighten us here,

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
So after begging and pleading my landlord for a while, and not hearing anything about fibre rollouts where we live.

Do they go into any kind of deals with landlords and property managers to muscle out fibre rivals like SADV or DFA

Yeah, your landlord/developer wanted me to pay him more than it costs me to install per endpoint just to get access to the complex. We don't buy business that way (especially at a nett loss) so I walked away from the deal.

I know Paul and the guys at BeBroadband, they do resell my fibre at times and in that area, in this instance I assume they are reselling Vodacom or using their existing wireless backhaul with a fibre last mile in the complex.

Henriette Willemse

I notice a strange looking aerial on of my complex buildings,

Also I see a strange SSID suddenly appear on my WiFi, be broadband xxxyyy

Confused, didn't think too much about it.
Until earlier today, when I saw them setting up a promo tent nearby.

So they offering a R1500 installation once off and then R500 a month for 10 Mbps line, and 20 Mbps for R650 no caps, no throttling, no restrictions always online.

Thought to ask here, are they worth anything?

And now the second part of my question,

As I find it strange that I've never heard of them up till now, and suddenly here is a aerial and installation and everything else,
But no furking fibre where we live, even though the fibre runs outside our street.

Hi there,

BeBroadband ISP does not resell Vodacom Fibre at all. We install Wireless (Wi-Fibre) in complexes whenever tenants or owners has permission from the Body Corp or Property Management. We do have Fibre backhaul at our main towers yes, but the Wireless is 100% our own infrastructure

We also do offer Fibre services where there is fibre available.

Half_Frog

Expert Member
Hi there,

BeBroadband ISP does not resell Vodacom Fibre at all. We install Wireless (Wi-Fibre) in complexes whenever tenants or owners has permission from the Body Corp or Property Management. We do have Fibre backhaul at our main towers yes, but the Wireless is 100% our own infrastructure

We also do offer Fibre services where there is fibre available.
WTF is Wi-Fibre or "Air-Fibre"

IT STILL JUST WIRELESS AND HAS BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS

Stop bs your clients

eg2505

Honorary Master
WTF is Wi-Fibre or "Air-Fibre"

IT STILL JUST WIRELESS AND HAS BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS

Stop bs your clients
so Im asking here on MYBB what the hell are these guys on about?
are they legit? are they a good ISP, or do people not even have the faintest clue what these guys do.

Half_Frog

Expert Member
People should be taken to the advertising standards authority or to the ICASA ombudsman for using a term like wireless fibre.
I agree

That is a product that is in essence still wireless. Yes it has high throughput rates but will never be fibre. Any wireless product will be affected by interference unless it is in a registered band. Even this product from UBNT is in an unlicensed frequency so it is and will never be 100% stable

The problem is uneducated consumers and hearing the word fibre in any sentence makes them believe they have fibre

Henriette Willemse

Hi everyone,

Thank you for bringing this to the communities attention. We do mention to clients that they are using a Wireless Internet Service and thus Wi-Fibre is merely a products name, which is short for Wireless to Fibre backhaul.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
People should be taken to the advertising standards authority or to the ICASA ombudsman for using a term like wireless fibre.
Lots of places doing that. a ex-colleague of mine was also bragging about her "fibre" but when I asked whether it's vuma or whatever, she mentioned some name that escapes me now - went digging and they are selling the same stuff as this.

Mentioned to her that her speeds will now be dependent on the little wifi router that they have there and she said I was jealous that she is getting her fibre cheaper.

Half_Frog

Expert Member
Lots of places doing that. a ex-colleague of mine was also bragging about her "fibre" but when I asked whether it's vuma or whatever, she mentioned some name that escapes me now - went digging and they are selling the same stuff as this.

Mentioned to her that her speeds will now be dependent on the little wifi router that they have there and she said I was jealous that she is getting her fibre cheaper.
This

How can people be so thick, but then again its providers like these thats bullsh1tting people into believing they have fibre

eg2505

Honorary Master
This

How can people be so thick, but then again its providers like these thats bullsh1tting people into believing they have fibre
remember not everybody knows what fibre is or isnt,
companies like be broadband simply take advantage of people ignorance.

that and muscling out competition from people who might install fibre instead of them

cavedog

Honorary Master
so Im asking here on MYBB what the hell are these guys on about?
are they legit? are they a good ISP, or do people not even have the faintest clue what these guys do.
Well BeBroadband has some competitive prices on fibre and wireless. They are their own ISP with their own AS number. They also peer with basically everyone at NAP Africa JHB so I don't think there will be an issue.

Last edited: