Best affordable eReader

Brawler

Honorary Master
Hi.

I am ashamed to say I don't have a clue how these things work as I have never been too interested. My mother hinted she wants one so I want to buy her one.

Which is the best one to get? From what I can see in SA its between Kindle and Kobo.
How do books work? I see Kalahari sells them but I assume there is some kind of on device book shop as well that I can just link to my card?

I thought of going the iPad route but apparently its not so great for extended reading sessions (heavy and eye strain).

Thanks

Dion Disco

There are some users on this forum that praises the Kobo Touch and Glo

Just search for it

Alan

Honorary Master
Brawler and PostmanPot brothers? Do they even know. This could get very awkward

Yotch

Expert Member
If you think that she might want to listen to audio books (vision problems) as well as read then you should check for mp3 capabilities.

Brawler

Honorary Master
Brawler and PostmanPot brothers? Do they even know. This could get very awkward
LOL.

I did a search for eReader and didn't see that thread.

I have actually met postmanpot :eek:

If you think that she might want to listen to audio books (vision problems) as well as read then you should check for mp3 capabilities.

Good tip thanks. Her eyes are 100% so that is not a concern.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
I have just discovered the Gobii from Kalahari that seem pretty popular.

http://www.kalahari.com/Technology/gobii-7-Colour-LCD-eReader-Black-R120-eBook-Voucher_p_44612858

Its reviews on Kalahari seem mostly positive too.

:sick: :sick:

'nuff said.

Kindle Paperwhite or Kobo Glo - don't waste your time with anything else.

You buy books from Kalahari, Kobo, Barnes & Noble or any other online store that sells ebooks EXCEPT for Kalahari who sells it's books in some godawful proprietary DRM format (the last time I looked anyway).

again, Kindle Paperwhite or Kobo Glo - don't waste your time with anything else (they're both good, my 75 year old mother-in-law loves her Kobo; I prefer the Kindle but that's just a personal preference)

Oh, yes, and once you have your device and have bought some books, use Calibre to manage your library

Last edited:

froot

Honorary Master
:sick: :sick:

'nuff said.

Kindle Paperwhite or Kobo Glo - don't waste your time with anything else.

You buy books from Kalahari, Kobo, Barnes & Noble or any other online store that sells ebooks EXCEPT for Kalahari who sells it's books in some godawful proprietary DRM format (the last time I looked anyway).

again, Kindle Paperwhite or Kobo Glo - don't waste your time with anything else (they're both good, my 75 year old mother-in-law loves her Kobo; I prefer the Kindle but that's just a personal preference)

Oh, yes, and once you have your device and have bought some books, use Calibre to manage your library

+1 to this.
I love my kindle.

rrh

Expert Member
+1 to this.
I love my kindle.

+10 for Kindle

In addition, I subscribe to a RSS that sends me a daily list of 100+ free books on Amazon. I can't remember when last I actually spent money on ebooks.

Last edited:

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
We have the Kindle, Kobo Touch & Kobo Glo - and all of them are great but the Kobo Glo has been the best purchase of all of them.

My wife used her Kindle for 2 years until I bought Glo a month ago, she borrowed my Glo and won't give it back. The built in light is the winner.

As for the Gobii, well a friend bought one and its more like a dumbed down tablet. Would not be able to read on it for a long time.

Oh, the only complaint about the Kobo Glo are the fonts but its dead easy to upload new fonts to the device. Just connect it to your PC, create a folder called "fonts" on the device and then copy any font you want.

Dee96

Expert Member
Bump

Any decent e readers out there in 2020?
I want to get my SO one and want to do some research before black Friday

Elon

I like the Kindle Fire. Battery doesn't last days but it's cheap and can do reading-related things that the e-ink versions can't.

Dee96

Expert Member
I like the Kindle Fire. Battery doesn't last days but it's cheap and can do reading-related things that the e-ink versions can't.
I considered that but I need an e ink reader.
She reads alot and the fire is basically a tablet so the colour screen doesn't enable long term reading

I O U

I've a similar scenario to @Dee96 , as I'm looking for a reasonably priced device for a family member to read lots of books on.

Did some research today, and might consider a compromise because it seems the best option is Kindle Fire for R1,399 at Incredible Connection :

Kindle Fire 7-Inch 16GB
Product Code 000000000010122687

The LIbby app can be set to dark or sepia, so that should extend the battery life, especially if reading is the only thing the person's doing with the tablet.

There's an online store I found - - from where one can download the Libby app - found out about it from this YT vid :

Libby Application On The Amazon Fire Tab

I think the app has an average rating, because some people download it, and as it's an APK file, needs to be side-loaded. Instructions per the vid. are to go to into Settings - Security - tick "Apps from unknown sources".

I may give it a try, but my main reservation is getting involved with Amazon, as I don't yet have an account.

If anyone knows why this may be a bad idea, please advise.

saor

Honorary Master
If anyone knows why this may be a bad idea, please advise.
An lcd screen for an eReader kind of defeats the point. The point of an e-ink device like the kindle is that it mimics reading a normal paper page - there's no additional eye strain. Some people are fine with an lcd, I don't like it. It's kak lying in bed for 3 hours with an lcd sreen up close to your face. And the quality of the lcd's on the kindle fire ain't that great.

Get an e-ink device, especially if you're buying for someone who reads a lot.

Dee96

Expert Member
An lcd screen for an eReader kind of defeats the point. The point of an e-ink device like the kindle is that it mimics reading a normal paper page - there's no additional eye strain. Some people are fine with an lcd, I don't like it. It's kak lying in bed for 3 hours with an lcd sreen up close to your face. And the quality of the lcd's on the kindle fire ain't that great.

Get an e-ink device, especially if you're buying for someone who reads a lot.
I agree but the issue is finding a decent e-ink device that's not a kindle