Best (cheapest and most reliable) Linux web hosting service with MySQL?

giggity

Expert Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2011
Messages
1,209
Reaction score
135
Location
Pretoria
Hi,

I am looking for a cheap-ish web hosting service that includes MySQL support (must be South African-based).

What I am looking for:
  • Decently fast (especially FTP transfers)
  • MySQL
  • Latest PHP version
  • CPanel support
  • A fair amount of storage (only a requirement for email)
  • .co.za domain
  • Email Accounts
  • Unlimited bandwidth
  • Cheap
  • Reliable

Packages I have found so far:

  • WebAfrica Linux Standard - - R39/mo.
  • Afrihost Gold Home - R39/mo.
  • Mweb Uncapped Lite - R29/mo.
  • EliteHost - R35/mo. (and it's unlimited everything... What's the catch?)
  • Cybersmart Pink - R0/mo. (what's the catch here?)

Any suggestions as to what you have found good, previously?

Thanks
 
No catch with Elite Host. Have been using them since 2012. Have about 12 of my own domains and hosting with them. Used to take their business packages but moved over to the R35 offerings and cant complain at all. And their support is good.
 
EliteHost - R35/mo. (and it's unlimited everything... What's the catch?)

The only catch I'm aware of is that if you use more than 200 000 inodes, backups will be disabled.

From the cPanel page over at EliteHost:

An inode is a data structure used to keep information about a file on your hosting account. The number of inodes indicates the number of files and folders you have. This includes everything on your account, emails, files, folders, anything you store on the server.

There is currently a limit of 200k inodes on our shared accounts. Exceeding this limit will not affect the functionality of your hosting account, you will still be able to upload files. We will only disable backups for the account.

We have noticed a very small amount of users exceeding these limits, just over 1%, that are impeding our capability to offer backups on our shared servers.

Not sure about that 1% - but it would be correct to say that most users don't go over the inode limit.
 
I don't follow. Nor do I need to. I have a small personal site/blog that I post to occasionally. For that, I have no problems.

MTN Gallo Manor is where their data center is, Dont know what Slvr meant but it doesnt look like much of a secure datacenter, Its old and looks low tech. I too have 3 or so servers in that datacenter, Could easily switch off other people's servers if I wanted to :-)
 
MTN Gallo Manor is where their data center is, Dont know what Slvr meant but it doesnt look like much of a secure datacenter, Its old and looks low tech. I too have 3 or so servers in that datacenter, Could easily switch off other people's servers if I wanted to :-)
As long as it isn't mine.
 
MTN Gallo Manor is where their data center is, Dont know what Slvr meant but it doesnt look like much of a secure datacenter, Its old and looks low tech. I too have 3 or so servers in that datacenter, Could easily switch off other people's servers if I wanted to :-)

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/hosting-storage/125460-major-mtn-gallo-manor-data-centre-outage.html
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/hosting-storage/125598-more-mtn-gallo-manor-data-centre-downtime.html
http://mybroadband.co.za/news/hosti...ess-Gallo-Manor-datacenter-outage-03-May-2015
 
Hi,

I am looking for a cheap-ish web hosting service that includes MySQL support (must be South African-based).

What I am looking for:
  • Decently fast (especially FTP transfers)
  • MySQL
  • Latest PHP version
  • CPanel support
  • A fair amount of storage (only a requirement for email)
  • .co.za domain
  • Email Accounts
  • Unlimited bandwidth
  • Cheap
  • Reliable

Packages I have found so far:

  • WebAfrica Linux Standard - - R39/mo.
  • Afrihost Gold Home - R39/mo.
  • Mweb Uncapped Lite - R29/mo.
  • EliteHost - R35/mo. (and it's unlimited everything... What's the catch?)
  • Cybersmart Pink - R0/mo. (what's the catch here?)

Any suggestions as to what you have found good, previously?

Thanks

How much space you looking for?
 
http://hostingweb.co.za

It's a site that compares different hosting companies and packages in South Africa. Just go directly to the guide.

Then at the bottom you'll find a Linux table and you can see what are available. I'd personally not go with Afrihost but the others seem more reliable.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X