Best compact camera for vlogging?

PSN

Heya buddy,

IMO the Canon G7X would be the camera to get. The low light and great auto focusing system works very well. The low light alone kills my Canon 7D when filming. I have heard that the Canon S200 could be a good cheaper option - http://www.takealot.com/canon-s200-digital-camera-black/PLID30691555

Pro tip: Get a second battery.... :-D
: buy a wind screen to help to cut out the wind

Be sure to check out some reviews on YouTube and remember good content always trumps good equipment.

and i hope to see your videos soon :D

seanyp00h

Expert Member
Heya buddy,

IMO the Canon G7X would be the camera to get. The low light and great auto focusing system works very well. The low light alone kills my Canon 7D when filming. I have heard that the Canon S200 could be a good cheaper option - http://www.takealot.com/canon-s200-digital-camera-black/PLID30691555

Be sure to check out some reviews on YouTube and remember good content always trumps good equipment.

Thanks a lot for this. Watched a few videos on youtube made with the S200 and I'm not impressed at all. Will rather invest in the G7x.

airborne

Honorary Master
A Canon D70 with an Stm lens is apparently a very good vlog camera, fast accurate focusing during video.

P&s the Sony Rx100(I think it is) is the king of the road but not cheap, the Canon G7 something also widely used.

Good image quality with fast accurate auto focus during filming does not come cheap, best option is to try find something 2hnd.

seanyp00h

Expert Member
A Canon D70 with an Stm lens is apparently a very good vlog camera, fast accurate focusing during video.

P&s the Sony Rx100(I think it is) is the king of the road but not cheap, the Canon G7 something also widely used.

Good image quality with fast accurate auto focus during filming does not come cheap, best option is to try find something 2hnd.

Thanks a lot I'll check them all out.

Shot my first youtube video yesterday using my iPhone and Nikon D3100. Not the greatest :(

d7e7r7

Executive Member
+1 to the Canon G7X. I have one and while I don't vlog with it, I'm very impressed with the photos.

Casey Neistat uses the g7x when he's not using his DSLR. Although I think he has the g7x mkii now though.

Kerrits

The bolded bit is probably important if you want to vlog on the move. It is not as standard as you would think on the older cameras. For example the Canon 6D does not have it.

airborne

Honorary Master
The bolded bit is probably important if you want to vlog on the move. It is not as standard as you would think on the older cameras. For example the Canon 6D does not have it.
True if the subject is static you can use most cameras pretty well just as long as it has a manual focus over ride or some way to prevent it from trying to refocus halfway during shooting, say you lift your hand up making a gesture and the camera trys to track the focus point on the hand, face is blurry for the last 6mins of video, fail.

seanyp00h

Expert Member

Yeh my entry level Nikon D3200 doesn't have this either.

seanyp00h

Expert Member
Heya buddy,

Here's my first one. Some constructive criticism would be great please :)

[video=youtube;-6REIiEcIB8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6REIiEcIB8[/video]

PSN

heya, i have checked out some of your other videos and you look like you're on the right track with your intro and call to action ( remember to subscribe). It's good to use youtube annotation at the end of your videos.

Something to think about:
1. Create playlists
2. Understanding analytics (when is the best time to post videos)
3. Be consistent with your uploads

keep up the great work dude
I also think we should have a youtube section on this forum, just saying :D

Thor

Honorary Master
Here's my first one. Some constructive criticism would be great please :)

[video=youtube;-6REIiEcIB8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6REIiEcIB8[/video]
I like them pull ups sir.

All in all wow blown away alot better than what I expected. What camera did you end up getting?

seanyp00h

Expert Member
heya, i have checked out some of your other videos and you look like you're on the right track with your intro and call to action ( remember to subscribe). It's good to use youtube annotation at the end of your videos.

Something to think about:
1. Create playlists
2. Understanding analytics (when is the best time to post videos)
3. Be consistent with your uploads

keep up the great work dude
I also think we should have a youtube section on this forum, just saying :D

Thanks for the advice. Notes taken :D

I was aiming to upload every Wednesday and Friday but I'm just too damn busy with my salary paying job. SO I'll stick to every Thursday for now.

You got my +100 for a YouTube section.

seanyp00h

Expert Member
I like them pull ups sir.

All in all wow blown away alot better than what I expected. What camera did you end up getting?

Ah thank you! I landed up using my phone and the old Nikon D3200. For my latest videos I've only been using my phone as the quality is better :D I'm waiting on the Canon Powershot G7X MII, an earthquake in Japan destroyed the factory which manufactures the lenses, so I think it's going to be a while. Will get a nice DSLR once I have some extra money and I'm able to dedicate more time to this.