Best LTE or LTE-A providers/pricing

Juggy

Executive Member
I hope I am not re-asking a question that has been asked recently.

I am looking for a well priced/performing wireless broadband solution for my sisters starting at around 100GB per month for general browsing, email, social media and Netflix.

I ordered CellC LTE through Afrihost as a trial but would like to know what I "should" have ordered?

I also bought the Huawei B618

8ta Network Optimist

I am looking for a well priced/performing wireless broadband solution for my sisters starting at around 100GB per month for general browsing, email, social media and Netflix.

I ordered CellC LTE through Afrihost as a trial but would like to know what I "should" have ordered?

Hi Juggy , I live in Australia and have had my parents on Cell C for the past 4 years with and external antenna, On and off a few issues but overall good value for money. If you read some of the threads over the past few months all broadband suppliers seems to have allot of issues , CellC,Telkom, Afrihost you name it, even Fibre lines. It looks like South Africa has an issue with short supply in network infrastructure and they are playing catch up. The prices you pay there for mobile broadband and fixed lines seem very high and these companies get away with poor service supply for what you pay.
Your best bet is trial CellC and if you are in a good area and get reasonable speeds stick with it, or try Telkom as alternative. Prepaid is good especially if they are not hungry users and you can switch service supply at a drop of a hat.
I think Afrihost uses part Cell C infrastructure but others can correct me if I am out of touch.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Telkom's SmartBroadband Wireless works for me (until I can get fiber)

R749.00 Once Off (valid for 31 days)
SmartBroadband Wireless Prepaid 50GB
  • With the Double Data Promo you get
  • 100GB Anytime data
  • 100GB Night Surfer data

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Remember, all the ISPs selling LTE are basically reselling the respective Mobile Operator's product. There's no difference between the product they sell and what the MNO provides. Perhaps rands and cents on the pricing side.

What's important to establish is which MNO has the best coverage and capacity where you're going to be using it. In terms of Fixed LTE, your options are RAIN, Cell C and Telkom. So grab a cheap prepaid sim from each MNO and test. Then find the best priced package for that MNO you can find.

Zarnicate

Telkom's LTE worked in the beginning (70mbs) then it got slower and slower and slower up to the point it was useless (0,5-2mbs). After multiple tech calls they couldn't fix it.

Got fiber....and now for the fun, try and cancel anything with Hellkom. Just stay away from them and avoid the butthurt. It took 5 months to cancel (when contract ran out). First went to store to cancel and filled in the required forms. I got a reference no and all. Got billed again. Followed up and they have no cancellation on the system.

Finally got the cancellation through doing it online after getting billed for 5 months.

Migrant

Can anyone please recommend a good ISP in Fourways area? Or is it better to speak directly to Telkom and CellC? I assume that Rain is currently not an option for LTE, correct? Incidentally, the particular area has very poor signal from both Telkom and CellC - might an antenna make a big difference?

laptopsoup

If your'e interested, I got a telkom LTE contract that i pay R374.30 for 80gigs. I'm looking for someone to take over the contract for me since i now have 30gigs on my phone, and thats more than enough for me. Im gona post on classifieds when admins give me rights to