Best mouse and keyboard for productivity?

xera

Expert Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2007
Messages
2,337
Reaction score
163
Location
Home is where the heart is
I'm thinking of something like a gaming mouse, like the Logitech G400s, or a Roccat, but it doesn't need to have flashing lights or any of that jazz.
I prefer wired, but if wireless, it mustn't have any lag at all. I can't handle lag.. I currently use the Steelseries Ikari Lazer and it's tracking and latency has been fine, but button is !@#$.
I would like something with a quality button like an Omron switch, that's going to last for years, and of course accurate tracking, and maybe a few extra buttons.

For keyboard, I was thinking of a mechanical one, but don't know enough about them.

Going to be used for productivity/coding.

What would you advise?
 
I'm thinking of something like a gaming mouse, like the Logitech G400s, or a Roccat, but it doesn't need to have flashing lights or any of that jazz.
I prefer wired, but if wireless, it mustn't have any lag at all. I can't handle lag.. I currently use the Steelseries Ikari Lazer and it's tracking and latency has been fine, but button is !@#$.
I would like something with a quality button like an Omron switch, that's going to last for years, and of course accurate tracking, and maybe a few extra buttons.

For keyboard, I was thinking of a mechanical one, but don't know enough about them.

Going to be used for productivity/coding.

What would you advise?

All I can say is get something with scissor keys.

Much easier to type on with fewer mistakes.
 
I just buy Microsoft keyboards and mice, works best with Windows.
 
I currently use the Steelseries Ikari Lazer and it's tracking and latency has been fine, but button is !@#$
If button is just a problem, get a technician to replace it. Sometimes button is still OK, but leads are bent (due to the extensive pressure applied at times). :) It takes a tiny flat screwdriver or dremel knife to lift a switch to the original position. You can do it yourself.
 
Last edited:
@Chevron
Do the apple keyboards have scissor keys?

I am a bit disappointed about the Microsoft recommendations.. I have had a Microsoft mouse in the past, and whilst it was not the most expensive of mice, it couldn't even serve it's primary purpose right out of the box. What's worse, is it wasn't just mine that was rotten to the core, it was all others that I tried as well.

@NomNom
Thanks for link, it's quite daunting.

@sajunky
Thanks for tip, the only reason I haven't opened it, is because I'm hesitant to remove the feet to access the screws, as I'm not sure if I'll destroy them.

However, I do need to get a new keyboard and mouse anyway, for a new work PC.
 
I've got a Logitech Wave wired KB and a wired G500 mouse.

Media buttons are handy on KB and the on-the-fly DPI switching is useful on the mouse for more precise mouse movements when required.

These are understated peripherals- no funky flashy stuff as that's a bit tacky for office usage.

I've had the Wave for just less than 5 years- some keys have started to wear off but it's holding up well otherwise. Nice and comfy with the palm rest. I reckon I might venture into mechanical keyboards when this one eventually dies.

Let us know what you get and how it works :)
 
I am a bit disappointed about the Microsoft recommendations.. I have had a Microsoft mouse in the past, and whilst it was not the most expensive of mice, it couldn't even serve it's primary purpose right out of the box. What's worse, is it wasn't just mine that was rotten to the core, it was all others that I tried as well.

Logitech I also pretty good if you don't want to look at Microsoft.
 
I am a bit disappointed about the Microsoft recommendations.. I have had a Microsoft mouse in the past, and whilst it was not the most expensive of mice, it couldn't even serve it's primary purpose right out of the box.
I have mixed feeling with MS. Recently had to buy a new keyboard for a computer without PS/2 ports and switching from the old IBM keyboard is painful experience. I made lot of testing, looking for laptop type scissor response and the best tack-tile feedback gave me MS Wired Keyboard 400/1366, it came with Basic Optical Mousev2.0/1113.

I bought it for a keyboard, but in the end result I do like better mouse. I don't complain for keys response. I have problems hitting F-keys, made unneccessary small. There is also strange shaping of the front row perhaps for aestetic reason, cause fingers slipping over, tend to hit higher because of it and in result touching keys of the second row. It would work while typing on the eye level though. :) :) Brain damaged idea. Also plastic is cheap, attracting lot of dust.

On the other side the mouse is well shaped, buttons, scroll wheel work perfect, but in default configuration mouse has a wrong acceleration profile. It behaves completely unpredictable, I was never able to point to the same place, trying hard fast and slow movements - no way. It appears it doesn't have precision. This is just an impression, as this mouse works on the pad the other cheap rodents don't accept at all. Problem was solved by decreasing speed by two notches and now it works lovely. Surprise...
 
Last edited:
Logitech I also pretty good if you don't want to look at Microsoft.

The Logitech gaming keyboards are crap for typing. I make the most mistakes with it. I really miss my Razer Lycosa now.
 
Hi there,
For typing the Microsoft keyboards are in my opinion great.
I also like the Logitech mouse so if it was me making your decision then the Logitech mose and the Microsoft keyboard should work well.

The best keyboard I EVER had was the Dysan MX300. It was a split keyboard with media keys. Touch typing improved with reduced errors and the media keys were great to use.

Regards

Tim
 
I have gone through a number of keyboards and mice. Current favourite is the Comfort Curve 5000 wireless kb and mouse combo.
Really really comfortable kb for touch typing.

Getting a second combo this week to hook up to my Alienware.

Edit: Gave my Cyborg V7 to my son. Cost more than the ms combo and no so comfortable for touch typing. Keys are noisy too if you type fast.
 
Last edited:
Well guess what... My Ikari threw a fit again tonight, double clicking almost every single click, with 95% consistency... So I decided to operate on it...
After removing the rear foot (screw in the middle) and front foot (screw on either side), lo and behold, the rotten rodent has 3 Omron switches inside!

This changes nothing though...
 
I'm using the Logitech Wave keyboard (3.5yrs old and still going strong) and MX500 mouse (already replaced all its buttons and cable - probably from 8yrs of playing FPS) at my office and I love the combination.

Unfortunately my K350 (wireless version of the Wave) is too unresponsive - like it doesn't release my shift key fast enough - so I don't use it any more. The only problem that I had with the Wave was that it took a while to get use to due to its shape, but at least its not as bad as some of the other curve kind of keyboards.

For my gaming PC I have the Corsair K90 mechanical keyboard and I love the sound of typing on it, but I'm making lots of mistakes with it.

I actually prefer my Dell laptop's scissor kind of keys for typing, but its terrible in terms of ergonomics.
 
Do you like this Ikari mice? Once again, replace switches!

Re: curve keyboards - good for people with special needs: women with big boobs! :)
 
Last edited:
Get a Ergonomic mouse for one. Especially if you spend long hours using it.
I picked up a Ergonomice Comfi 3 years ago when I started getting Carpal Tunnel. Works like a charm.
And if you have a laptop, but use a mouse and keyboard with it, get a stand that angles it up to get the screen at eye height.
comfi4shot.png
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X