BEST No WIFI ppoe device for Openserve

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Secure reliable, not a R400 piece of junk
I haven't used a bad mikrotik yet,but unfortunately there's models near your pricepoint so they are disqualified?
Also the barrier to entry can be high for novice users

roughiain

I haven't used a bad mikrotik yet,but unfortunately there's models near your pricepoint so they are disqualified?
Also the barrier to entry can be high for novice users
Think you read the price point wrong :)

I expect to pay for a good device. Which microtik would recommend.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

He was pointing out that Mikrotik make amazing devices but are apparently too cheap for you and must therefore be junk.

PsyWulf

Executive Member

Nope pretty accuratr read. I've used the hAP lite in some smaller setups,retailed at R370
That said any of the current gen RB's should do fine,the 3011 being able to route gigabit speed internet traffic perfectly

If you are going unifi and can sacrifice a little max speed the USG is decent up to 800mbps if memory serves

smc

If you are going unifi and can sacrifice a little max speed the USG is decent up to 800mbps if memory serves
If you don't enable intrusion detection/prevention, it will do the full 1G, but if you do enable IDS/IPS, then yes, 800m is more likely, depending on what else you have enabled.

roughiain

The RB760IGS looks like the complete package with SFTP port, could replace the one supplied by the fibre company

MDKza

MikroTik is fine people just don't know how to secure them.
Seen multiple with access from the internet side with default passwords.
They even hack those things to mine bitcoin..
If you can secure it - it will do the job fine.

I use a USG. Same story. Works very well.

Genisys

Executive Member
The RB760IGS looks like the complete package with SFTP port, could replace the one supplied by the fibre company
You'll more than likely not be able to remove your fibre providers ONT. The 760 is a Good device, it will do 1Gbps, but not 1Gbps IPsec. You'll have to tell us what you want to do with the Mikrotik and we will be able to give a recommendation.

roughiain

You'll more than likely not be able to remove your fibre providers ONT. The 760 is a Good device, it will do 1Gbps, but not 1Gbps IPsec. You'll have to tell us what you want to do with the Mikrotik and we will be able to give a recommendation.
It seems vox is using Mikrotik, not sure what model and how configurable it will be

Jade @ ZA Domains

ZA Domains representative
Company Rep
This thread....
has started something....(costly)
Looks like I'm about to replace entire network with Ubiquiti toys