Best router Range extender?

N4qeeb

Recently got fiber via octotel/cool ideas. They supplied a TPLINK router, but there is a dead zone on the other side of the house.

What extenders are considered the best? I think a tp link extender would work best because the router is tp link as well, the router has both 2.4ghz and 5ghz

AsianSpaceman

If you can, the best “extender” would be to pull an Ethernet cable to the other end of the house and install an access point. I’ve always had poor performance from range extenders (to be fair it was always a cheapie). Otherwise, I don’t have experience with power line adapters but heard it’s a fair alternative to range extenders, maybe someone else could give better insight on that.

N4qeeb

A mesh is a far better option than an extender.
I have heard a lot about the TP link deco mesh system, but I believe it creates a whole other access point as appose to just extending the signal

greg0205

Honorary Master
I have heard a lot about the TP link deco mesh system, but I believe it creates a whole other access point as appose to just extending the signal
It connects directly to your modem and shares a single WiFi network with the same SSID and password.

The units connect by WiFi and your devices connect to your network through whichever unit you're closest to.

Plug and play, and I can't really explain just how easy it is to set up.

N4qeeb

It connects directly to your modem and shares a single WiFi network with the same SSID and password.

The units connect by WiFi and your devices connect to your network through whichever unit you're closest to.

Plug and play, and I can't really explain just how easy it is to set up.
what CISP gave us was a router+access point, will it connect to this. if I understand correctly, it takes the ethernet cable from the router and then connects to the mesh tower and that distributes to the other units

N4qeeb

@PBCool im not sure if your able to add a comment, but what would the best option be in terms of the router that CISP provides with a regular package (TPLINK ARCHER C20)

greg0205

Honorary Master
what CISP gave us was a router+access point, will it connect to this. if I understand correctly, it takes the ethernet cable from the router and then connects to the mesh tower and that distributes to the other units
Access point?

A separate device to the router?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@PBCool im not sure if your able to add a comment, but what would the best option be in terms of the router that CISP provides with a regular package (TPLINK ARCHER C20)
You can typically use most access points together quite easily, same SSID, encryption and split the channels up a bit. So you can use any other device, be it a router that supports standalone AP mode linked with cable. No wireless extenders!

greg0205

Honorary Master
You can typically use most access points together quite easily, same SSID, encryption and split the channels up a bit. So you can use any other device, be it a router that supports standalone AP mode linked with cable. No wireless extenders!
What's your take on wireless mesh setups, PBCool?

N4qeeb

Whats wrong with wireless extendors? and would the tplink deco mesh system work fine on a cisp/octotel line. I would assume I'll need to call for them to configure it?

greg0205

Honorary Master
router, TPLINK Archer C20
Right, my setup is an Archer A6 with the main Deco unit connected to it via ethernet... The Decos are set up as access points, and the rest of the units are plugged in around the house.

WiFi signal is excellent everywhere.

I'm on a 100/100 package and here's a speed test on the Deco furthest from the router...

Screenshot 2021-05-09 at 19.00.35.png

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Wireless extenders are the spawn of Satan! Do not use them.

But the the TP-LINK Deco M5 works well. Its just a bit pricey and it might be cheaper to use an ethernet cable.

Jaseyyxx

Wireless extenders are the spawn of Satan! Do not use them.

But the the TP-LINK Deco M5 works well. Its just a bit pricey and it might be cheaper to use an ethernet cable.
I agree with this. They are the worst thing ever. Rather hook up an extra AP with a cable.

N4qeeb

Right, my setup is an Archer A6 with the main Deco unit connected to it via ethernet... The Decos are set up as access points, and the rest of the units are plugged in around the house.

WiFi signal is excellent everywhere.

I'm on a 100/100 package and here's a speed test on the Deco furthest from the router...

View attachment 1065327
wow, might give the deco mesh a try. quite pricey though, but if it works well then its worth the investment

shakes1

Expert Member
Point me out if I'm out of line here or against forum rules.

Contemplating replacing my TP Link Deco system with another product. If you're interested in used ones, drop me a message. Have 2 x M5's and 2 x E4's.

deesef

Expert Member
wow, might give the deco mesh a try. quite pricey though, but if it works well then its worth the investment
A cheap, effective and easy way to extend WIFI is to use an old modern, installed in the dead signal area and wired with a LAN cable to the fibre router.

On the old modern, switch off DHCP and setup the WiFi SSID and password the same as the main router/access point. Also select a channel that differs from the main WiFi channel.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Every thread like this has folks suggesting a wired AP or a mesh.

I can't run cable for an AP, so I've tried everything else.

Extenders are rubbish, I'd be embarrassed to give the ones I have away... but... five minutes after setting up the mesh I realised my skin had cleared up, I was two inches taller, and I'd lost five kilos. Happy.

There are no dead spots and speed is consistent around the house... Just like I'd always wanted.

Crumbl0x

To chip in, I've got a 2x Deco M4 running and it's been an absolute pleasure. Sure, there's currently an IPv6 broadcast storm issue with it but I wouldn't be surprised if this was fixed in a firmware update soon before this becomes the norm in SA.