Best smartphone 2018

Tcyte

It is quite interesting to discover that according to Tech Radar, the Samsung S9+ is still the best smartphone on the market, though released in March. This simply means both Huawei P20 series and the new Apple X series did not do enough to beat the Samsung S9+
Below is the ranking according to them
  1. Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus: the best smartphone.
  2. Samsung Galaxy Note 9.
  3. Huawei P20 Pro.
  4. iPhone XS / iPhone Xs Max
  5. Samsung Galaxy S9.
  6. LG G7 ThinQ.
  7. Huawei Mate 10 Pro.
  8. iPhone X.
But my question is, Is the S9+ better than the Note 9 / Huawei P20 Pro / Iphone Xs … Share your thoughts

irBosOtter

Expert Member
It is quite interesting to discover that according to Tech Radar, the Samsung S9+ is still the best smartphone on the market, though released in March. This simply means both Huawei P20 series and the new Apple X series did not do enough to beat the Samsung S9+
Below is the ranking according to them
  1. Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus: the best smartphone.
  2. Samsung Galaxy Note 9.
  3. Huawei P20 Pro.
  4. iPhone XS / iPhone Xs Max
  5. Samsung Galaxy S9.
  6. LG G7 ThinQ.
  7. Huawei Mate 10 Pro.
  8. iPhone X.
But my question is, Is the S9+ better than the Note 9 / Huawei P20 Pro / Iphone Xs … Share your thoughts

It's just their opinion....

Google "Best smartphone 2018" and you will see every site has a different opinion on which is "best"

sajunky

Honorary Master
This year Huawei takes over, but for a journalists it takes a time to get the truth.

Strenghts?
1. Quality, even in the cheapest models like Y series look and feel like premium phones. It creates a brand. Samsung cares about quality only in the top range.
2. Huawei is always strong on RF components: it gives reliability feeling on every day use. i.e. Y6 2018 gives 3m GPS accuracy.
3. Features: even cheap models have support for optional codecs like AptX/HD
4. Camera quality and capabilities of the buillt in camera app (people love it). Level 3 compatibility for all others.
5. EMUI 8 is tuned to the perfection, giving lot of configuration options (iPhone users like it)
6. Chosing stable OS releases (I wish it could be better).
7. Continuous steps for creating its own ecosystem.
8. Local hint - support: we have an active rep on this forum.

Weakness?
1. Boot loader unlock no longer supported. It will become a bigger issue on Android 9, due to the tight integration of Google FoolPlay Services with OS and constant abuse by Google.

Sumen

Expert Member
This year Huawei takes over, but for a journalists it takes a time to get the truth.

Strenghts?
1. Quality, even in the cheapest models like Y series look and feel like premium phones. It creates a brand. Samsung cares about quality only in the top range.
2. Huawei is always strong on RF components: it gives reliability feeling on every day use. i.e. Y6 2018 gives 3m GPS accuracy.
3. Features: even cheap models have support for optional codecs like AptX/HD
4. Camera quality and capabilities of the buillt in camera app (people love it). Level 3 compatibility for all others.
5. EMUI 8 is tuned to the perfection, giving lot of configuration options (iPhone users like it)
6. Chosing stable OS releases (I wish it could be better).
7. Continuous steps for creating its own ecosystem.
8. Local hint - support: we have an active rep on this forum.

Weakness?
1. Boot loader unlock no longer supported. It will become a bigger issue on Android 9, due to the tight integration of Google FoolPlay Services with OS and constant abuse by Google.
add to the weaknesses :

2. All of their midrange and below phones don't have scratch resistant glass (the P20 and P20 Pro don't have it as well but I'm sure the successors will).
3. All of their midrange and below phones don't have Widevine L1

sajunky

Honorary Master
add to the weaknesses :

2. All of their midrange and below phones don't have scratch resistant glass (the P20 and P20 Pro don't have it as well but I'm sure the successors will).
#2. The P20 Pro has a scratch resistant (tempered) glass screen which can withstands up to level 5 on the Mohs hardness scale, it is on pair with competitors who advertise Gorilla glass. However it doesn't pass a bend test as reported here: https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-p20-pro-durability-test-860595/

#3. True.

Sumen

Expert Member
#2. The P20 Pro has a scratch resistant (tempered) glass screen which can withstands up to level 5 on the Mohs hardness scale, it is on pair with competitors who advertise Gorilla glass. However it doesn't pass a bend test as reported here: https://www.androidauthority.com/huawei-p20-pro-durability-test-860595/

#3. True.
My mom's P20 already has some scratches and her previous phone (LG G4) which had Gorilla glass never had a scratch.

I'm not saying Huawei is bad it's just strange that they didn't include it on the P20 and P20 Pro but they included on last year's P10 and Mate 10.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
add to the weaknesses :

Nokia 5.1, 6.1....
Motorola one, Moto G4, G6....
ASUS Zenfone Max Pro
Samsung Galaxy J6 ...
Beg to differ.

Can probably get loads more but above list alone already proved you wrong.

If you said most Chinese brands dont have L1 then I would agree

Sumen

Expert Member
Nokia 5.1, 6.1....
Motorola one, Moto G4, G6....
ASUS Zenfone Max Pro
Samsung Galaxy J6 ...
Beg to differ.

Can probably get loads more but above list alone already proved you wrong.

If you said most Chinese brands dont have L1 then I would agree
I'm was only refering to Huawei and not other brands.