Best solutions for load shedding

Salmank

Hi,

So since we are not so secure with Eskom and can have multiple consecutive hours of load shedding, what the best solution?

Battery opperated lights with solar panels?
Inverters?
Generators?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Hi,

So since we are not so secure with Eskom and can have multiple consecutive hours of load shedding, what the best solution?

Battery opperated lights with solar panels?
Inverters?
Generators?
The best solution will be to search for the multitude of detailed threads on this subject right here on this forum....

The_Traveller

Expert Member
For now I would say buy a battery backup system, for just your lights,tv and for urgent pc usage.

3kw system with 4 x Ritar 12v100Ah sealed lead acid batteries.

Budget 15k.

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
For now I would say buy a battery backup system, for just your lights,tv and for urgent pc usage.

Budget 15k.
Deep Cycle lead acid yes, but I love my Lead Crystal batters, they can take a punishment of going down to any voltage and recover all the time.
No one buys lead acid anymore, and if budget allows go Lithium Ion instead.

But otherwise I must say that for R15k that is a pretty good setup for a 3kw system

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Deep Cycle lead acid yes, but I love my Lead Crystal batters, they can take a punishment of going down to any voltage and recover all the time.
No one buys lead acid anymore, and if budget allows go Lithium Ion instead.
I think gel batteries are actually the best solution.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
I haven't experimented with Gels, just Lead Crystal and the white paper statistics look bloody good, been using them for around 5 or 6 years now
My home system with a 3kw inverter and 4 x (gel) lead acid batteries is running smoothly since 2014.

I then had about 10 more systems installed for my friends and family members , but used Ritar batteries and also going smoothly since 2015.

Nothing wrong with lead acid batteries if they being charged properly.

Not sure why you guys carrying on about deep cycle when the inverter shuts off anyway at 70% (battery) DOD, unless that’s what you mean by deep cycle ?

The_Traveller

Expert Member
How do you hook it up?
Directly to the db ... you won’t even know that the council cut off the power.

Only negative thing about this setup is you need to know which plugs are connected to the circuit that is backed up. You wouldn’t want to connect a heater or vacuum and drain those batteries quickly.

Chuckmyster

Executive Member
My home system with a 3kw inverter and 4 x (gel) lead acid batteries is running smoothly since 2014.

I then had about 10 more systems installed for my friends and family members , but used Ritar batteries and also going smoothly since 2015.

Nothing wrong with lead acid batteries if they being charged properly.

Not sure why you guys carrying on about deep cycle when the inverter shuts off anyway at 70% (battery) DOD, unless that’s what you mean by deep cycle ?
Wow that is good to hear. Just don't let a lead acid drop to a low voltage. I have heard they don't like it but I am speaking of what I have heard and not experienced. But you are right on the inverter, they do shut down at a certain low voltage. I think that is what is keeping your batteries happy. (just my 2 cents input)

Messugga

Honorary Master
Directly to the db ... you won’t even know that the council cut off the power.

Only negative thing about this setup is you need to know which plugs are connected to the circuit that is backed up. You wouldn’t want to connect a heater or vacuum and drain those batteries quickly.
Quotes I got on this was pretty rough. Entailed getting a CoC and such. Didn't make it viable for me as a temporary measure. Temporary in that we're likely moving within the next six months.

The_Traveller

Expert Member
Quotes I got on this was pretty rough. Entailed getting a CoC and such. Didn't make it viable for me as a temporary measure. Temporary in that we're likely moving within the next six months.
My electrician charges no more than 3k to do the install. That price is including parts.

He’s quite fair and people like him are rare. But generally in business this is common, more chancers than anything .

lsheed_cn

Expert Member

Budget 15k.

Uh no, not at that price.

300w panel is still in the R1700 range. Panel cost alone would be R17k for 3KW.

You've probably got a <1kw system for that sort of cost.
Lead Acid is also crap.

lasborn

My electrician charges no more than 3k to do the install. That price is including parts.

He’s quite fair and people like him are rare. But generally in business this is common, more chancers than anything .
Please could you share your electrician's details? Looking to install a battery backup system asap.

daveza

Honorary Master
Bear in mind that your pc may be up but that doesn't mean your internet connection will be.