Best Streaming TV Media Player

kiraross

I have Showmax but my smart TV is too old to play it. What is the best device to stream movies & series to the TV, preferably with a Wifi connection?
Thinking of Roku 3 (have a lift out of the States soon) but not sure if it will play Showmax.

Any other suggestions? Not very knowledgeable in this area...

IguBu

The Roku 3 seems like an awesome device, you can bet it won't have Showmax on it though..

This not an easy one to answer "simply" - :)

When you say "stream movies, series" - what would the source be? Your own collection (Via something like Plex or Kodi (was called XBMC before), or just showmax? Remember any device like Roku, Chromecast (Google), Amazon stick etc essentially run some applications on them - which makes your tv "smart" - for example it will have a PLex app, or Netflix etc - but to access your movies - but you need a media server in the back - so it's not a simple answer. Media servers for the non "geek" is a lot of work, there is no easy solution :(

Your TV would definately have HDMI - unless it's REALLY old - so just connect a notebook/small desktop to it - and watch your Showmax that way. If you really don't like wires - then you get a few "hdmi over wifi" type dongles that you could give a try - but a 10M HDMI cable at hificorp is much simpler, and cheaper..

Perhaps it's easier to replace the TV with one of the many specials everyday - some of the local Samsungs etc might even have a showmax app - but check with them.

Had a quick look on the Showmax site: (https://www.showmax.com/eng/help/smart-tv/1)

Which Smart TV’s are supported?

Samsung Smart TVs (2012 and later)
Samsung Tizen Smart TVs (2015 and later)
LG NetCast Smart TVs (2012 to 2014)
LG WebOS Smart TVs (2014 and later)

Good luck!

Last edited:

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
I know you're only joking but since Apple opened the platform up a lot more from the ATV 3 to ATV 4 it's one of the best streaming devices you can get.

It has native Showmax, Netflix, Hulu etc apps, it has Plex and even VLC, it looks great and is really fast and responsive.

You can even sideload apps if you know what you're doing, stuff like Kodi and Provenance that allows you to play Sega Genesis, Master System, MegaCD, Game Gear, Nintendo,Famicom, Super Nintendo, Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance games

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
I know you're only joking but since Apple opened the platform up a lot more from the ATV 3 to ATV 4 it's one of the best streaming devices you can get.

It has native Showmax, Netflix, Hulu etc apps, it has Plex and even VLC, it looks great and is really fast and responsive.

You can even sideload apps if you know what you're doing, stuff like Kodi and Provenance that allows you to play Sega Genesis, Master System, MegaCD, Game Gear, Nintendo,Famicom, Super Nintendo, Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance games
:D yeh joking only. Apple devices are great. Might look into one of them soon. How do you sideload Kodi?

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
I used to have an imac, iphone, ipad. Just not an Apple Tv, so i know apple ecosystem okayish
You need a USB Type C cable.

If you don't have something running OSX you will need to install OSX in a virtual machine on Windows, install Xcode on OSX and then you can easily sign ipa files to install on the Apple TV.

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Is the Apple remote the one made from glass that cracks when dropped like their phones?
I recall reading something like that a while ago. Totally put me off the device. Will not last long in my family. :eek:

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Is the Apple remote the one made from glass that cracks when dropped like their phones?
I recall reading something like that a while ago. Totally put me off the device. Will not last long in my family. :eek:
I was thinking the same. My 2 year old daughter would have a field day smashing that. Lol

kiraross

Thanks, looking for internet-streaming mainly. Will look at Apple TV or something like the Chromecast. My TV does have HDMI, even internet browser when connected via Ethernet cable, but cannot show movies from Netflix or Showmax (although I managed to log in my Netflix account). I have been connecting by notebook, but quite a pain. I have a Sony TV 2012 I think - not able to load apps etc., and run all software updates already over internet.

Apple TV won't work if it has a glass remote either - 2 small kids in the house...