Beware of WhatsApp updates

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
Heading is misleading - you get the impression that WhatsApp updates are dangerous, whereas it is the service offered from 3rd parties that inject malware

abbott10k

I feel nothing for such people, but then you get the less tech savvy who might fall victim to such though.

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
I feel nothing for such people, but then you get the less tech savvy who might fall victim to such though.
Which is MOST of the users of WhatsApp (90%??). They are oblivious of the dangers and view it as a "Oooo, I like this new service".

Hush9300

Expert Member
This is still a problem on Android... My friend had an S4 and was inundated with spam pop-ups.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Time to type up a mail with bold letters, red bold underlined letter and the obligatory "This is not a joke! Send this on to everyone in your address book! Lets help each other stay safe"

blunt

Expert Member
unfortunately many, many people will fall for this.

Park@82

Honorary Master
So this want to be sideloaded right? One physically have to go into settings and allow unknown sources right?

kianm

Honorary Master
I'm sure for one to get the pop ups they'd have installed some other crapware already on their phone

MoHaG

I'm sure for one to get the pop ups they'd have installed some other crapware already on their phone
There seem to be some ad network being used to distribute these... Some sites, like collegehumor (go to one of the posts) seem to reliably redirect to the ads...

With most browsers not supporting extensions and apps being isolated (unless running with root permissions), crapware shouldn't be able to do that...

Unable to reproduce in Chrome's device emulation mode though...

Edit: I can see the request in Chrome's dev tools (when connected to phone, but I can't currently see where it comes from...) (Adblock on PC isn't helping...) There is appsliu.com (careful on visiting, likely serving malware) involved, not sure how it gets to that...

Last edited: