Bike for a big boy

In my experience it can be tough to find a bike to test ride. If you go to a Honda dealership with your own bike and tell the guy you want to test ride the CBR600RR, he will probably organise one for you in a few days. It depends on the bike and how popular it is.

I went to Triumph to test the Street Triple and it is almost impossible to find one as they are a lot more rare and when available, usually sold quite quickly.

If you really want to test ride, GO to Honda Cayenne and tell them you have pre-approval for finance/cash. Tell them you're looking to buy soon but you need to test ride your list of bikes. 3 or 4 bikes you may be able to get away with but not more. Set a date with the salesman and make it seem like this is your one stop shop and you wont buy from anywhere else. They have a huge collection of used bikes so organizing test rides will be easier there than at a small dealership...and dont tell him you are a noob. Just say you used to ride way back...

As for Lizzard having the 883 Iron for commuting...where does he commute from? A few kms maybe? You have over 100km per day of highway riding...trust me, you want to cut out the wind. On my Hornet which is a naked, highway riding can become extremely tiresome as it wasnt really developed for that. Its a city bike, as is the 883.

http://johannesburg.gumtree.co.za/c...scooters-Yamaha-2011-model-W0QQAdIdZ428576289
http://johannesburg.gumtree.co.za/c...rs-2009-HONDA-VFR-800-VTEC-W0QQAdIdZ258834851
http://johannesburg.gumtree.co.za/c...s-scooters-2009-BMW-F800ST-W0QQAdIdZ382648182
http://johannesburg.gumtree.co.za/c...ooters-2007-BMW-F800ST-ABS-W0QQAdIdZ423992840

The above are just some good deals on Gumtree.

Thanks mate, you have some valid points there. I will definitely try the Honda Cayenne, they have some awesome bikes and their prices aren't too bad.

I travel 80km's daily and I do stick to the speed limit of 120km/h on open roads, and I split lanes where it is safe to do so. The wind has not been an issue for me at all. I travel a lot on my bike, on open roads as well as in traffic, and as I say, I have no problem with wind and I do not have a windshield thing on my bike. I am a big guy and I have had a passenger on as well on my 883 and both times there was no problem with weight and no issue on driving. I love my 883 and am also not a speed freak that chases the next maximum speed I can go but stick to speed limits. And like I say, wind has never been an issue for me. And I do know that if the bit of wind generated does indeed bother you, you can always get a windshield put on your bike as well. So I honestly don't see the wind being an issue at all.

Nice hearing this, I think I will just have to go and test drive some of these bikes and see, that's the one thing I like about the HD, you can customise it... even as a hobby and of course for practicality reasons, but some other nice suggestions have come through and although my mind was made up, I now have some more shopping to do. Thanks for all your info, from the horses mouth in this case and was also something I hoped to hear.

Watching all the bike riders pass me from pta to jhb everyday, I have to say, I'm **** scared on their behalf, one small mistake by another car driver and you could be crippled for life, whereas if you were in a car, the same mistake would only cost you the excess payment on your insurance, anyway goodluck to the OP, because most people on the roads dont give a rats asss about bikers:wtf:

Yeah, I know, I must be honest that I have also seen many bikers that drive like idiots. I guess you have a responsibility as a biker to also drive very vigilantly and I do sometimes feel that some bikers take a lot of changes on the highway, I aim not to be one of them, that with listening to advice, going for training and so on, I guess reduces the risk albeit a bit. But thanks for the luck wishes.
 
I also want an 883 Iron :twisted: It shall be mine one day.. first have to finish payment on the other bikes though :o

If you later decide that you want more power you can always kit it out with screaming eagle parts.

My only suggestion is to get the bike that makes you feel good. Personally I have ridden and owned some of the bikes in the posts above and its no fun to ride something with a dead "tool" like feeling to it even if it may be superior in some way. If you do not get that warm fuzzy feeling, move on.
 
:love: So I am in love. The Honda NC700X. Wow.... so what do you guys think?? As a first bike for commuting to and from work, my size and so on?? Bike + Finance + Gear = R76000.00

http://www.honda.co.za/main.aspx?id=72&pid=211&cid=15

Also had a look at some gear. I am very paranoid, I'm gonna have to get me one of those 1 piece leather racing suits just to be sure. Bhwahahaha. But I am afraid I will only get into it once with the help of several hundred people and then will never be able to get out of it again and they will have to sew two together for me. hehehehe.

Any thoughts (vs. the Harley 883 Sportster)?
 
The NC700X is a fantastic bike for commuting. I'd definitely recommend that over the Harley. Don't get me wrong, the Harley's nice (I rode the Boulevard M109R) but for commuting the Honda will be better.

Get the Harley as a weekend toy once you're more comfortable with riding.
 
I am also looking to buy a 883 Iron, but I wouldn't consider it for daily commuting for that distance. Maybe if you worked a few KM's from the office, but not sure it would be great for 80 KM commute daily. I would also probably look at a bigger CC. Good luck man! :)
 
how tall are you?
I am 194cm and ride the Yamaha XT1200Z (Super Tenere) - very comfortable and solid bike, especially for taller riders - similar to the BMW 1200GS

Take a look at this website http://cycle-ergo.com/ You can simulate what you would look like on almost any bike, whilst entering your length
 
how tall are you?
I am 194cm and ride the Yamaha XT1200Z (Super Tenere) - very comfortable and solid bike, especially for taller riders - similar to the BMW 1200GS

Take a look at this website http://cycle-ergo.com/ You can simulate what you would look like on almost any bike, whilst entering your length

About 1.85, but because I am a new rider, I would like to start with something a bit smaller maybe. Thanks, will check the site out.
 
Watching all the bike riders pass me from pta to jhb everyday, I have to say, I'm **** scared on their behalf, one small mistake by another car driver and you could be crippled for life, whereas if you were in a car, the same mistake would only cost you the excess payment on your insurance, anyway goodluck to the OP, because most people on the roads dont give a rats asss about bikers:wtf:

As a motorcyclist you tend to learn how to read cars and roads more intricately than you do in a car,made me a better driver all round

As for what bikes you should try,given your frame and preference i would side with the bmw's. But whichever you take in the end be sure to try the same model for a test drive,your preference might change entirely once you've gotten a few rides under the belt again

I'm quite big and the 1000RR fireblade is very comfortable,but superbikes can be harder to use in stop and go traffic,and a huge boep can be uncomfortable. Tried a honda crossrunner? Lovely bike to ride,bit taller than the hornets
 
Clipboard01.jpg

You must be quite heavily built, so I would suggest not getting a too small bike, even if it's your 1st bike
 
good luck with your decision - you sound mature, so with some training you will be fine and enjoy it!

You can also scratch around here, although it is a forum, mostly for Dual Sport bikers, but many of them come from road bikes http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/
 
Hey there! The 883 is a fine bike but with 130kgs it will struggle, or rather you will get frustrated with it soon enough. It sounds like your decision is made and so if you want a Harley at a later point you need to look at 1200 minimum and even then you will still be looking for more grunt at times. I am 105kgs and 1.9m and had a 1200 sporty which I loved but I was too big on it and was always looking for another gear. i ride a larger framed harley which is a vastly different ride but is more relaxing on the highway not that his was the objective but wife prefers the more comfortable ride. I suppose i could use it as a daily commute but would think again given your route as there is little margin for error regardless of the bike. Best to get onto two wheels with a decent instructor as this part is absolutely critical and then decide on a bike that you feel confident on regardless of brand, image or whatever the salesman says. This means you have to take it on a 40km ride minimum. also when looking for your first bike take someone with you that knows bikes well (preferably a friend that knows you too). That way you will get a balanced view and make a decision that suits your riding.
 
Hey there! The 883 is a fine bike but with 130kgs it will struggle, or rather you will get frustrated with it soon enough. It sounds like your decision is made and so if you want a Harley at a later point you need to look at 1200 minimum and even then you will still be looking for more grunt at times. I am 105kgs and 1.9m and had a 1200 sporty which I loved but I was too big on it and was always looking for another gear. i ride a larger framed harley which is a vastly different ride but is more relaxing on the highway not that his was the objective but wife prefers the more comfortable ride. I suppose i could use it as a daily commute but would think again given your route as there is little margin for error regardless of the bike. Best to get onto two wheels with a decent instructor as this part is absolutely critical and then decide on a bike that you feel confident on regardless of brand, image or whatever the salesman says. This means you have to take it on a 40km ride minimum. also when looking for your first bike take someone with you that knows bikes well (preferably a friend that knows you too). That way you will get a balanced view and make a decision that suits your riding.

Really?? Interesting. Yeah I think for the moment I have settled on the Honda, but will get my Harley sooner or later. hehehe. I also think I should maybe do some training first before even buying the bike, I have also heard a couple of people say that a lot of these academies/instructors have some ties with bike dealerships, so if you spend some time with them they could probably organise you a bike from the dealership for a decent test ride... I don't really see any other way that a dealership will give you a 40km test ride or am I wrong? Yeah, I have a buddy that has been riding for a while and he has been involved in this whole process.
 
A genuine dealer who sees you are serious about buying, and who knows the strength of their products should be only too happy to let you take the bike for a decent test drive. This has been my experience with Harley at least because even in the Harley stable the models vary a lot and you need to find something that you like and can ride for a whole day. Learning to ride is the key though and it takes so much more concentration than in a car. Key points are: only ride as fast as you can see and can stop, create and own your space on the road - you are on a bike and you dont want to be stuck in between trucks etc, check around you every 8 seconds (dont take your eye off the road in front but check in your mirrors) and always have plan B & C escape routes when entering an intersection. You build up a sixth sense over a few months of daily riding and this is best developed on less busy roads where a couple of mistakes will stand you in good stead. Hitting the highway at rushhour relatively safely comes after a quite a lot of riding as you need to anticipate the actions of drivers. If you are commuting then do the high vis thing with very bright gear. There is no substitute for being alive and being able to ride tomorrow. Some guys ride in mostly black kit which looks cool but they put themselves at a disadvantage by making themselves nearly invisible. The sooner you get on two wheels the better tho. Just take it at your pace and enjoy.
 
A genuine dealer who sees you are serious about buying, and who knows the strength of their products should be only too happy to let you take the bike for a decent test drive. This has been my experience with Harley at least because even in the Harley stable the models vary a lot and you need to find something that you like and can ride for a whole day. Learning to ride is the key though and it takes so much more concentration than in a car. Key points are: only ride as fast as you can see and can stop, create and own your space on the road - you are on a bike and you dont want to be stuck in between trucks etc, check around you every 8 seconds (dont take your eye off the road in front but check in your mirrors) and always have plan B & C escape routes when entering an intersection. You build up a sixth sense over a few months of daily riding and this is best developed on less busy roads where a couple of mistakes will stand you in good stead. Hitting the highway at rushhour relatively safely comes after a quite a lot of riding as you need to anticipate the actions of drivers. If you are commuting then do the high vis thing with very bright gear. There is no substitute for being alive and being able to ride tomorrow. Some guys ride in mostly black kit which looks cool but they put themselves at a disadvantage by making themselves nearly invisible. The sooner you get on two wheels the better tho. Just take it at your pace and enjoy.

Shees, I am skeptical of that theory, some of these guys do not even want to give you stats when you walk into their dealership, but I guess I will just shop around until I get someone that is willing and passionate to genuinely help. Thanks man for the advice once again, yeah, I will go high viz and am very paranoid on the road in general, so I guess that will help a bit. But you just reiterated again, it all comes with experience, cover all your bases as far as you can and don't do stupid things. I really look forward to this, but will be a good couple of hard learning months ahead. If I am lucky enough to get the bike before mid December, I will take it out on the highways a bit when it is quieter just to get a feel for the road.
 
I would stay away from Harley unless you like going damn slow while making a huge racket. A Triumph tiger 800 is delicious though :D
 
Hmmmm, I like the Triumph, but it is, for now a bit out of my price range. :D
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X