Bishop Bavin School is closing down immediately

eg2505

Honorary Master
Had some friends attend this school, really sad.

whats stranger is nobody can pony up the cash to save it?

had some famous people and politicians kids attend it.

even somebody who acts in Star trek,

wonder if they will start a gofundme page like anat did, or something else to raise the cash?

sjm

Been in trouble for over a year, Covid was just the icing on the cake, not a cause

eg2505

Honorary Master

eg2505

Honorary Master
What I find strange is nobody seems to care about the school closing down,
My friend even told me a lot of kids from the ruling ANC went there.

I expected petitions, and gofundme pages and a lot else.

Maybe all its alumni emigrated overseas and nobody cares about a school where they graduated?

Or maybe in the time of covid, people are more worried about themselves then to worry about any old school.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
What I find strange is nobody seems to care about the school closing down,
My friend even told me a lot of kids from the ruling ANC went there.

I expected petitions, and gofundme pages and a lot else.

Maybe all its alumni emigrated overseas and nobody cares about a school where they graduated?

Or maybe in the time of covid, people are more worried about themselves then to worry about any old school.
The ANC probably were on the SGB and couldn't miss a chance of looting. Getting into R30m debt doesn't happen by accident.

eg2505

Honorary Master
The ANC probably were on the SGB and couldn't miss a chance of looting. Getting into R30m debt doesn't happen by accident.
True, what bothers me, is a year to the date of the founders passing?

Don't think that's an accident.

Also, I thought the Anglican church was supposed to be merciful,

But even they are after the money it seems.

LCBXX

Honorary Master

A church is a tax free business. Only Jesus preached for free. Then again, He had bags of privilege. Thank God he wasn't/isn't white...

lived666

Executive Member

I suppose god got the incorrect memo and closed the wrong Bishops school.

eg2505

Honorary Master
what I keep finding suspicious, is firstly the Anglican church,
cant they have helped keep the school going?

or even one of the parents with deep pockets, (plenty of ANC and EFF members kids attended)

school produced many notable people, cant believe nobody cares enough about it to do something.

but like I said, Covid is making everybody turn around and start rethinking their priorities.

Speedster

Executive Member
what I keep finding suspicious, is firstly the Anglican church,
cant they have helped keep the school going?

or even one of the parents with deep pockets, (plenty of ANC and EFF members kids attended)

school produced many notable people, cant believe nobody cares enough about it to do something.

but like I said, Covid is making everybody turn around and start rethinking their priorities.
I don't think anything about the school's financials have been made public which makes it pretty hard to speculate what the nature of their difficulty looks like. While education is certainly a righteous cause, at the end of the day a private school is still a business and needs to be financially viable to survive. It could be that they were running a deficit already and covid has just broken the camel's back.

And for those advocating for the Anglican church to step in, I believe most churches budgets are also under significant pressure with churches not having been able to meet as normal for over 3 months now. Also, do you really believe the church should provide funds to save a high end private school?

Edit: I just found this article which says they've spoken to three other educational institutions to take over the school in the past year without any success. https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/n...mpt-to-save-bishop-bavin-school-from-closure/

Last edited:

Georgios

Curro was going to take the school over. Then at the last minute the church stepped in and said no as they wanted to keep the school Anglican. Curro I believe did not want a religious school.