Bishop Bavin School is closing down immediately

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
I haven't been following the story, but it sounds messy:
And:

yebocan

Honorary Master
first thought...rich/well off Bishops, in CT, has closed down due to Covid - really dramatic clickbait...I stand corrected thought there was only one Bishops .

eg2505

Honorary Master
I haven't been following the story, but it sounds messy:
And:
quite messy and ugly,
what I want to know is where did all the money disappear into?

did they find a deeper hole than Eskom's budget to throw their budget into?

whats the real story the media isnt covering?

Feel sad for the staff, it isnt their fault,
their School got turned into a private slush fund for some fat cat Bishop and his mistress.

Speedster

Executive Member

eg2505

Honorary Master
I'm intrigued by cases like this. In law the teachers are obviously 100% correct, but if the school has no money to pay them how must it do so?
cant they be classed as creditors, and anything sold has to be paid out to them first?

Speedster

Executive Member
cant they be classed as creditors, and anything sold has to be paid out to them first?
There is already R30m debt. I doubt the school has any significant assets (could be wrong) so any payout to teachers will be minimal.

eg2505

Honorary Master
There is already R30m debt. I doubt the school has any significant assets (could be wrong) so any payout to teachers will be minimal.
they could start auctioning off some of the moveable assets, like cars, tractors ect...
and then maybe the desks, chairs things like that,

id assume they would get a settlement from those assets that have been sold?
wouldn't be a lot id imagine, but they have to get something?

like I said, the slush fund has to start paying out settlements and quickly.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
However, Reverend Xolani Dlwati, the spokesperson for the church, hit back saying that there were issues with the deal relating to conflict of interest and the R30 million loan guarantee, which could have required the church to put up its land and school property as security.

Dlwati said the church had a number concerns about the school, including the direction which the institution was taking and the manner of input that was being made.

“Even in the conduct as well ... there seems to be a view that things were moving in a different direction than the one we thought they were moving in.

“One of the key things is that those members of the board were part of all the negotiations.

“There was continual insistence and pressure for the church to sign those deals, to such a point that you felt like ubanjwe ngentamo [you were being grabbed by the neck to] sign or else…

“There were concerns in relation to the direction and the operations and whether or not we were getting as much information as we could,” Dlwati said.
I’m fascinated that it is board members who claim that we refused to sign the deal. Of course there was no way that we could put the church at further risk.
Reverend Xolani Dlwati
Without divulging the entities which made proposals, Dlwati said there were relationship issues with the board members – including Grobler – which led to a request for them to resign owing to a conflict of interest when the third entity tabled its proposal.

He said it transpired that the chief negotiator of a deal tabled by the first entity was also involved in the third entity.

This was after possible deals with the first and second entities fell through.
Intriguing.

eg2505

Honorary Master
She does have a Chatsworth stekkie look. All that's missing is the gold teeth and blonde streaks.
she aint no Charlize Theron though,
definitely not earning the same as Charlize, as even she cant even afford to save her own school where she graduated.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
indeed,

but again, whats the REAL story here, cant be all due to covid and its after effects, must be more going on here,
There's no way the school blew over R30m in 1 month. This has been going on for a while. If I was to don tinfoil hat for a second, I'd say the board chairman may shed some light in future. I feel he knows something.

surface

Executive Member
she aint no Charlize Theron though,
definitely not earning the same as Charlize, as even she cant even afford to save her own school where she graduated.
Charlize net worth was 110 million dollars many moons ago. Do you think she couldn't save her own school if she wanted to?

eg2505

Honorary Master
There's no way the school blew over R30m in 1 month. This has been going on for a while. If I was to don tinfoil hat for a second, I'd say the board chairman may shed some light in future. I feel he knows something.
maybe they brought 30 million Rand's worth of Chappies :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

eg2505

Honorary Master
Charlize net worth was 110 million dollars many moons ago. Do you think she couldn't save her own school if she wanted to?
maybe, but nobody has come up with the cash, and clearly some people lose that sort of cash down the back of the sofa,
so whats really going on here?

eg2505

Honorary Master
I feel he knows something.
I suspect the answer will be I brought a small country in the south pacific, where I can be lord of all I survey.
cheers, have a nice life.
thats always how these things end up,
big pot of money like a school operating budget makes certain people greedy.

Last edited:

ForceFate

Honorary Master
maybe, but nobody has come up with the cash, and clearly some people lose that sort of cash down the back of the sofa,
so whats really going on here?
No one think it's a sound investment, except the chairman's "friends". Maybe the school was poorly managed.