Bitco home wireless internet

VandaL

I am with them now, experience has been terrible im cancelling after a week with them.

lol what my youtube is doing on a Saturday evening "because of contention ratio"
No mate, they have not set proper quality of service rules. Contention ratio in its scummiest form would be selling a 10mbit package to say 5 users(1:5 contention) and only have 10mbit available so you put in the fine print guaranteed 2mbit. But even with the scummiest form your link at idle should perform at max 2mbit but if the noc guys aren't straight of grade 7 put quality of service rules in place to 'dedicate' that 2mbit to each client and at idle their latency etc should be unaffected by heavy users.

There's a ton of other load balancing protocols etc but bottom line your wisp should never use contention ratio as an a excuse for pathetic latency. The guy even put in writing that at any given time you are guaranteed 10mbit, so what does he say to your screenshot of 2mbit at 1am on a Sunday?

Dretastic06

No mate, they have not set proper quality of service rules. Contention ratio in its scummiest form would be selling a 10mbit package to say 5 users(1:5 contention) and only have 10mbit available so you put in the fine print guaranteed 2mbit. But even with the scummiest form your link at idle should perform at max 2mbit but if the noc guys aren't straight of grade 7 put quality of service rules in place to 'dedicate' that 2mbit to each client and at idle their latency etc should be unaffected by heavy users.

There's a ton of other load balancing protocols etc but bottom line your wisp should never use contention ratio as an a excuse for pathetic latency. The guy even put in writing that at any given time you are guaranteed 10mbit, so what does he say to your screenshot of 2mbit at 1am on a Sunday?

look at this on a Sunday morning, i wanted go give them the benefit of doubt and still try them this weekend as it was not good the first week. My 6mbps of easyweb easily out performed this line!

HartsockZA

Expert Member
I am with them now, experience has been terrible im cancelling after a week with them.

lol what my youtube is doing on a Saturday evening "because of contention ratio"
Why not allow them to work the problem? A week to troubleshoot is rather terrible, when we have a problem such as this we usually comp the line until we have a solution. Not running to anyone defense.

If I were in your situation I'd do tracerts as well as speeds test in peak hour and none peak hour. Remember to use a Lan cable in all of your tests and to remember that doing these test on you home networks wifi will bring up varied results and not true results. A company as big as them has a ton of people connected to each tower and for 1 out of the 200 connected to it that's complaining about the lack of stability it does make it hard to believe that there is infact any problem at all.

I would say post all of your results on here so we can see what exactly your looking at. As a network operator myself its the norm to say to clients that anything that happens regarding speed inside your internal network is your own problem. Our responsibility stops where the lan cable from your dish connects into your wan port.

Last edited:

Dretastic06

Why not allow them to work the problem? A week to troubleshoot is rather terrible, when we have a problem such as this we usually comp the line until we have a solution. Not running to anyone defense.

If I were in your situation I'd do tracerts as well as speeds test in peak hour and none peak hour. Remember to use a Lan cable in all of your tests and to remember that doing these test on you home networks wifi will bring up varied results and not true results. A company as big as them has a ton of people connected to each tower and for 1 out of the 200 connected to it that's complaining about the lack of stability it does make it hard to believe that there is infact any problem at all.

I would say post all of your results on here so we can see what exactly your looking at. As a network operator myself its the norm to say to clients that anything that happens regarding speed inside your internal network is your own problem. Our responsibility stops where the lan cable from your dish connects into your wan port.
Hey thank you for the reply but i have given up on them the initial reply i got from them just made me not want to continue with them. I have done numerous speedtest everything varies like im connected to a mobile LTE connection. The problem with me being the 1 out of 200 is that most people dont care about ping and latency as long as they have connection. I wish them luck but they wont be getting good feedback from me at all, like i said with my previous WISP, whether i did lan or wifi, peak or off peak my results and performance would be constant.

Crumbl0x

lol I'm sorry, but I take a bit of offence with that statement. I strongly believe with regards to WISPs that products are being oversold on a capacity that just doesn't exist and for these kinds of prices it's shocking how nearly all available ones I've wanted to try and tried for less than a week had the same results (great speeds for the first day, tanks afterwards, complain, speeds return for a few hours, repeat).
I wholeheartedly agree with @Dretastic06 on that I also feel that the vast majority of customers only require basic connections and when somebody actually gets on the network to attest to their product then it's a whole different story.
The specific part of your reply that struck a nerve with me is that you'd be more inclined to put the blame on me as a customer instead of being honest of the link speed and throughput of your infrastructure / towers. I've had the same amount of devices connected to 4mb ADSL for years and have always known when something was hogging the network or causing a hiccup for everyone else, and BitCo, Connec, HeroTel etc. would tell me that my 15 / 30mbps link can't even open YouTube because of "overwhelming contention within your network", "leaky bucket / peak balancing in effect" among other nonsense reasons, even though strangely after complaining I can get full speeds for an hour or two.
Apologies again HartsockZA, I know you mean all the best and can believe you're excellent in your trade but WISPs have become a tainted field of broadband for me simply because I believe the majority are lying about their ability to provide their selection of customers at least reasonable speeds and performance where possible, and wouldn't blame customers apart from the okes hammering the network for everyone else.
It'll be great when I can finally live somewhere where I never have to consider a wireless internet solution ever again hehe, cancellation fees and upfront install costs got me seeing stars :p

HartsockZA

Expert Member
lol I'm sorry, but I take a bit of offence with that statement. I strongly believe with regards to WISPs that products are being oversold on a capacity that just doesn't exist and for these kinds of prices it's shocking how nearly all available ones I've wanted to try and tried for less than a week had the same results (great speeds for the first day, tanks afterwards, complain, speeds return for a few hours, repeat).
I wholeheartedly agree with @Dretastic06 on that I also feel that the vast majority of customers only require basic connections and when somebody actually gets on the network to attest to their product then it's a whole different story.
The specific part of your reply that struck a nerve with me is that you'd be more inclined to put the blame on me as a customer instead of being honest of the link speed and throughput of your infrastructure / towers. I've had the same amount of devices connected to 4mb ADSL for years and have always known when something was hogging the network or causing a hiccup for everyone else, and BitCo, Connec, HeroTel etc. would tell me that my 15 / 30mbps link can't even open YouTube because of "overwhelming contention within your network", "leaky bucket / peak balancing in effect" among other nonsense reasons, even though strangely after complaining I can get full speeds for an hour or two.
Apologies again HartsockZA, I know you mean all the best and can believe you're excellent in your trade but WISPs have become a tainted field of broadband for me simply because I believe the majority are lying about their ability to provide their selection of customers at least reasonable speeds and performance where possible, and wouldn't blame customers apart from the okes hammering the network for everyone else.
It'll be great when I can finally live somewhere where I never have to consider a wireless internet solution ever again hehe, cancellation fees and upfront install costs got me seeing stars :p

So the reason why I say I am not rushing to anyone's defense here is quite simply put, whoever supplies @Dretastic06 network is 200% bigger than mine. So you have a crapton more variables to workout on. As for myself and company to the 20 odd clients we supply, we supply their subscribed speeds. That why I mentioned if @Dretastic06was one of my clients I'd com the line for a month and test to improve So please don't include me as the so called many WISP's that are tainted on your list. I'd rather put my clients first than blame them for someone that decided to plant a huge tree in way of the connection.

I did have a client that used a repeater to connect some items far out of the range of his old router. So we replaced it and still insisted that we didn't supply him with correct speeds. So we replaced the router with a more suitable one and to prove a point we removed the repeater in his home network and walla back to 20Mb. So hence why I say our policy is to not get involved with the inner home network because there are factors that do affect your home wireless speed apart from the wired connection to the router and from router to dish.

What I can agree with you is some Wisps do oversell their product and it's rather difficult to understand why when there's plenty of people to connect. Why not provide a good service and keep to that bar. But yet again a lot of them aren't me. there are Wisps that have put a bad name out there and it's just sad cause we few that are actually doing good get nailed to the wall with the rest and it's just not right. So I'd recommend doing the tests it does really help understand what is going on on your end as we run on simulations and on our screen we might see a 100/100 connection from dish to tower of which 20Mb is your subscription.

For Installs, yea I agree I've seen and heard of crazy installs.

My conclusion is that there must be tower congestion, cause it sounds like that. Knowing their towers are out in the sticks they supply them with wireless connections. But it is a hard thing to prove since if they have over 200 people connecting to it and not one of them complaining about speed it becomes hard to believe there is something wrong when the system says there's a 100/100 pipe being supplied. So yea good luck with it, sorry I can't help more. Welcome to shoot angry response to me I get that a lot when Xbox servers decide to block some or other port Ha ha

Crumbl0x

So the reason why I say I am not rushing to anyone's defense here is quite simply put, whoever supplies @Dretastic06 network is 200% bigger than mine. So you have a crapton more variables to workout on. As for myself and company to the 20 odd clients we supply, we supply their subscribed speeds. That why I mentioned if @Dretastic06was one of my clients I'd com the line for a month and test to improve So please don't include me as the so called many WISP's that are tainted on your list. I'd rather put my clients first than blame them for someone that decided to plant a huge tree in way of the connection.

I did have a client that used a repeater to connect some items far out of the range of his old router. So we replaced it and still insisted that we didn't supply him with correct speeds. So we replaced the router with a more suitable one and to prove a point we removed the repeater in his home network and walla back to 20Mb. So hence why I say our policy is to not get involved with the inner home network because there are factors that do affect your home wireless speed apart from the wired connection to the router and from router to dish.

What I can agree with you is some Wisps do oversell their product and it's rather difficult to understand why when there's plenty of people to connect. Why not provide a good service and keep to that bar. But yet again a lot of them aren't me. there are Wisps that have put a bad name out there and it's just sad cause we few that are actually doing good get nailed to the wall with the rest and it's just not right. So I'd recommend doing the tests it does really help understand what is going on on your end as we run on simulations and on our screen we might see a 100/100 connection from dish to tower of which 20Mb is your subscription.

My conclusion is that there must be tower congestion, cause it sounds like that. Knowing their towers are out in the sticks they supply them with wireless connections. But it is a hard thing to prove since if they have over 200 people connecting to it and not one of them complaining about speed it becomes hard to believe there is something wrong when the system says there's a 100/100 pipe being supplied. So yea good luck with it, sorry I can't help more. Welcome to shoot angry response to me I get that a lot when Xbox servers decide to block some or other port Ha ha
hehe no problem, I'm very glad you're going above and beyond for your customers and I won't fault that ever. I didn't mean to group you in with them and was just trying to deflect any defence for those large ones as they seem to work more or less the same. Keep doing that good-good and thank you for explaining all those scenarios, I really appreciate it!

Dretastic06

The mere fact you replying here and just raising awareness shows the customer etiquette any business should have. I have never been difficult but when it comes to internet and me paying R999pm i expect something decent.

VandaL

Well that's strange, according to their maps now I'm not covered, but I'm pretty sure I'm downloading something at 32.7mbit constantly at the moment on Bitco network ;)

In fact their Durban coverage map has shrunk to almost nothing.

Dretastic06

Well that's strange, according to their maps now I'm not covered, but I'm pretty sure I'm downloading something at 32.7mbit constantly at the moment on Bitco network ;)

You so lucky i had to settle for Telkom 1TB, speeds been consistent and i still have to mount my poynting antenna and hopefully it improves more.

Attachments

• 15F60B80-451F-4308-A6D4-B7AA5EDE68AD.jpeg
    15F60B80-451F-4308-A6D4-B7AA5EDE68AD.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 50

VandaL

You so lucky i had to settle for Telkom 1TB, speeds been consistent and i still have to mount my poynting antenna and hopefully it improves more.
Judging from that speed and ping you are the lucky one here. 1tb LTE data at that speed is quite insane.

Dretastic06

Judging from that speed and ping you are the lucky one here. 1tb LTE data at that speed is quite insane.
yes the 2300mhz seems to be the go to because everyone using phones and the 1800mhz band. it does drop to about 35mbps in the evenings but i wont mind that as netflix and youtube runs perfect.

mas30764

lmao yeah I saw, the nice blue circle I fell in was changed to a 1/5 slice nowhere near me, can't complain but damn it makes sense now

I am on their 10 meg line for the last 4-5 years , can’t be upgraded to the 30 meg because their equipment that I have is outdated. Not with the coverage area as per their map .

netstrider

Expert Member

There probably is coverage but not for any more signups so they removed it?

VandaL

So long term usage update,
Works great, full 33mbit/16up 98% of the day. I did around 2.2TB in December with zero issue. They had to come through in December and change the dish as the standard dish was picking up rust ultra quick by the beach. So there a huge Ubiquiti dish in place now. I see their coverage maps have massively decreased, I'm sure to keep connection quality up. All in all great service, had a fiber company come to my house a few weeks ago, so hopefully fiber is live by the end of the year.

Don't mind this link in the interim.

Crumbl0x

Works great, full 33mbit/16up 98% of the day. I did around 2.2TB in December with zero issue. They had to come through in December and change the dish as the standard dish was picking up rust ultra quick by the beach. So there a huge Ubiquiti dish in place now. I see their coverage maps have massively decreased, I'm sure to keep connection quality up. All in all great service, had a fiber company come to my house a few weeks ago, so hopefully fiber is live by the end of the year.

Nice! Honestly forgot about them in the meantime hehe

They definitely seem alright, I'll keep that in mind when I'm mentioning around wireless services, the good ones are so far and between after all and this is great news.

tm458

lemme chime in here aswell and say i've never been happier. 32 down/16 up for the whole day and 10ms of latency which is stable for 90% of the time.
Had one issue in december where my internet just randomly cut out at 2am, opened a ticket and was told that there was an outage and it'd be fixed soon, 40 minutes later and i was back up and running so i'm loving the 24/7 support from them.

One small issue (which isnt really bad but abit annoying) is that my internet just completely maxes out at 28.5mbps down and 14 up all of a sudden. Started happening on monday and i don't know why. Opened a ticket with support and i was just told that the speeds are "within acceptable threshold" :/

Besides that recent issue and the one in december, it's been pretty spectacular :)

VandaL

lemme chime in here aswell and say i've never been happier. 32 down/16 up for the whole day and 10ms of latency which is stable for 90% of the time.
Had one issue in december where my internet just randomly cut out at 2am, opened a ticket and was told that there was an outage and it'd be fixed soon, 40 minutes later and i was back up and running so i'm loving the 24/7 support from them.

One small issue (which isnt really bad but abit annoying) is that my internet just completely maxes out at 28.5mbps down and 14 up all of a sudden. Started happening on monday and i don't know why. Opened a ticket with support and i was just told that the speeds are "within acceptable threshold" :/

Besides that recent issue and the one in december, it's been pretty spectacular :)
Yeah, the support is excellent of the most part. On 31 December Durban had a very bad storm and the connection died around 8pm, I sent them an email and they responded within 5mins, the issue was fixed by 9am 1 January. A friend who is on Herotel also had his net go down as a result of the weather. It took Herotel 8 Days to restore is connection.

The 28.5mbit speed issue is also something I experienced a few months ago, the RF guys need to fix that for you. Reason I know is I used to get 33mbit etc then all of a sudden its 28mbit max no matter what I did, so while complaining to the support guys, getting the same reason you were he was chatting to an RF guy and while on the phone with him running a download my speed magically goes from 28mbit to 33mbit and has stayed there since.