Blacks Only

WatchDog

Banned
It sounds deliberate enough to be an effort to be controversial by a deperate radio station. The point being they can't say openly "Blacks only". It's the sort of thing 1st year drama students do for attention.

stepper

Expert Member
The performers were black and the audience mixed. Maybe the organisers should had a better name it was not meant to be racist!

LabAnimal

Expert Member
; ) I also don't think this was ment to be racist - however, see how quickly the old word gets flung around.

LoneGunman

Expert Member
re 'I dont think this was meant to be racist' - well, its all about the meaning that people put into things. lets see..which of the two following sounds like 'a bit of okay fun', and which sounds 'racist and unacceptable'?

'Blacks Only comedy evening'

'Whites Only comedy evening

Either they're both racist - OR - they're both okay. You can't have it both ways, and its irrelevent to try talk about SA recent history to try and make one of the two 'acceptable' in any way. Either both are racist, or both are okay. If people can't, won't or are too scared to accept one option, whereas the other is considered not only 'allowed' but seemingly 'fine' - that's a warning sign of sorts for the future.

So to me its just part of the gradual swing towards making black racism seem somehow 'fun' 'just a laugh' and 'quite acceptable to use in advertising'. Whereas any appearance of white racism, is being chilled and frightened out of popular usage, for fear of being considered racist.

Yet it goes back to the meaning inherent in the two options. Either they're both racist - or they're both fine. Making one 'fine' and another 'not fine' - means the 'acceptable' one, is what the future is going to increasingly bring into play. (The old adage about 'many a true word spoken in jest') Now its just a joke, but in a decades time, its likely to be being used as a 'given' with no one daring to question it.

I'd guess that 10 or 15 years back, there were similar uses of this kind of approach in advertising, in Zimbabwe comedy shows.. eventually though, there's a point where the laughter stops and the new prevailing racism begins to take over.

Last edited:

Moederloos

Honorary Master
The only thing that bothers me about this, is the "american hood" look.
If it is a SA show, then for farks sake at least LOOK South African.

W@nkers....

native

Expert Member
I went to the show in Emperor's place next to the Airport, there we couple of white people, there was also also a white comedian who shared couple of jokes in Afrikaans and Sesotho.

andres101

Expert Member
the reason for the name is because there is currently no comedy show that allows them to speak in their mother tongue.

everyone is welcome... apparently a couple of white guys show up at every show!

they did a similar show last year which was very successfully, so they decided to do it again.

please stop shouting racist every time you hear white/black.

EDIT: I think Noleen (spel?) had an interview with him. Not that I watch that stuff :)

Last edited:

Moederloos

Honorary Master
Why everyone is getting all huffy is beyond me.
Blacks do not have a history of enslaving whites, of colonising their countries and so on. So, if they use the term "Blacks only" in a comedic name, so be it.
Whites cannot use "Whites only" because of our history in this regard.

A simple example:
If my wife and I are in public and have a friendly spat, I can say "When we get home, I am going to beat you!" and we can all laugh - Why? because everyone knows I am meek as a lamb, and am more likely to get beaten than be the beater!.

Now, imagine Mike Tyson says that - people will take it seriously.

tibby.dude

Executive Member
Moederloos said:
Blacks do not have a history of enslaving whites, of colonising their countries and so on. So, if they use the term "Blacks only" in a comedic name, so be it.
Fear of a Black Planet - Public Enemy

Man you ain't gotta
Worry 'bout a thing
'Bout your daughter
Nah she ain't my type
(But supposin' she said she loved me)
Are you afraid of the mix of Black and White
We're livin' in a land where
The law say the mixing of race
Makes the blood impure
She's a woman I'm a man
But by the look on your face
See ya can't stand it

Man calm your ass down don't get mad
I don't your sistah
Would you still love her
Or would you dismiss her
What is pure? Who is pure?
Is it European state of being, I'm not sure
If the whole world was to come
Thru peace and love
Then what would we made of?

Excuse us for the news
You might not be amused
But did you know white comes from Black
No need to be confused

Excuse us for the news
I question those accused
Why is this fear of Black from White
Influence who you choose?

Man c'mon now, I don't want your wife
Stop screamin' it's not the end of your life
What's wrong with some color in your family tree
I don't know

I'm just a rhyme sayer
Skins protected 'gainst the ozone layers
Breakdown 2001
Might be best to be Black
Or just Brown countdown

I've been wonderin' why
People livin' in fear
Of my shade
(Or my hi top fade)
I'm not the one that's runnin'
But they got me one the run
Treat me like I have a gun
All I got is genes and chromosomes
Consider me Black to the bone
All I want is peace and love
On this planet
(Ain't that how God planned it?)

Excuse us for the news
You might not be amused
But did you know White comes from Black
No need to be confused

Excuse us for the news
I question those accused
Why is this fear of Black from White
Influence who you choose?

stix

Expert Member
get over yourselves - its marketing and comedy - if this bugs you i suggest moving to the deep south in america

besides its good to laugh at oneself

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Yeah. Doesn't concern me too much. Yeah it can imply a racist nature but I don't really care quite frankly. I get on with life and don't really care about this.

ajak

Expert Member
Now tell me,if the "show is sold out" is it then a "BLACK OUT"

nGAGEd55

Expert Member
The fact that the show is named 'Blacks Only" doesnt bother me, just the fact that if it was the other way around everyone would accuse whites or racism.

Moederloos said:

A simple example:
If my wife and I are in public and have a friendly spat, I can say "When we get home, I am going to beat you!" and we can all laugh - Why? because everyone knows I am meek as a lamb, and am more likely to get beaten than be the beater!.

Now, imagine Mike Tyson says that - people will take it seriously.
But say Mike Tyson's son is also as meek as a lamb, and he says it, will people take him seriously because of his father?

Last edited:

PearlJam

Expert Member
To me this is a comedic show. I wouldn't mind watching it and i would laugh just as hard as at any other comedic show. Even if the jokes are directed at me as a white person and my way of doing things "differently". it is sometimes funnier to see the way others look at you :)

I don't care if there would be outrage at a name like "Whites Only". I didn't go through any traumatic experience of that sort in my childhood, therefor it is easier for me to laugh it off or not even take notice.

Enjoy life and laugh at yourself

-toady-

Expert Member
excellent lyrics there tibby.dude but as always - to the ones that should be paying attention and giving them some thought, tis water off a ducks back...

WretchedToad

AntiThesis

Executive Member
Well, you can't really claim that can you? Until there is a show called "Whites only" and it's pulled for racism, there's no telling how the public would react.

Besides, as was pointed out, the reason why saying "Whites only" is racist is because of the history of racism that whites have pretty much worldwide...

Moederloos

Honorary Master
nGAGEd55 said:
But say Mike Tyson's son is also as meek as a lamb, and he says it, will people take him seriously because of his father?
Unfortunately, yes. 'tis "The sins of the father" - I don't make the rules.

Life sux, then you die. :D