Blu-Ray

PhreeMe

Expert Member
Howzit ladies and gents

I'm interested in purchasing an internal Blu-Ray drive for my PC. My problem is I can only find the LG and Lite-On (rebranded LG it seems) available locally.

Now the LG gets slated as it was apparently trying to do too much in making a Blu-Ray AND HD DVD rom, affecting the quality of the lasers....

The Lite-On on the other hand is closer to what I was looking for (just a BD Reader - obviously with DVD and CD support) which is a 6X, but seems to have a reputation for giving in after 3 months.

The only Sony I could find was a 2X. I'm just concerned that going with that speed might compromise the purchase a little way down the road.

Firmware it appears is also an issue, with Sony apparently being the only one supporting their drive??

FINALLY on to my questions, has anyone had experience with any of these?? Is 2X enough? Is the Lite-On more reliable than some reviews I found on some online stores?

Thanks in advance! ;)
Ciao

PetriZa

I bought the lite-on Internal blu-ray drive about 5 months back for my HTPC and it has not given me any troubles to date.I use it for Blu-ray playback as well as watching Dvd's etc.IMO it is great value for money at the moment

ponder

Honorary Master
When it comes to optical drives Plextor has a very good reputation.

I'm a Lite-On person myself as Plextor is a bit hard to come by.

PhreeMe

Expert Member
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll google Plextor.... honestly never heard of them :eek:

ponder

Honorary Master
Last edited:

PhreeMe

Expert Member
Thanks for the detail ponder :) I'll mail them and see what they have on offer.....

Are you able to change the region a certain number of times like you can on DVD\CD ROMS??