Bottled water vs tap water reagent tests

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
We compared bottled water with tap water — with surprising results

MyBroadband performed reagent tests on popular bottled water brands and tap water which revealed that there is no significant difference.

Bottled water has become popular in South Africa, partly because people believe it is much cleaner than the water you get from your taps at home.
Still.. you would not start or maintain a sour dough starter from tap (or use metal utensils). Even when you are making vinegar / kombucha.

edit: @Snyper564 how is creating beer from tap?

Last edited:

3WA

Honorary Master
My biggest concern is uranium (specifically in parts of Joburg near old mine tailings).

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
The strips do not test for any bacteria, though. This means the reagent test used in this experiment is not a conclusive test on whether water is safe to drink.
Bacteria would be my biggest concern.

After the taps running dry here in PE come December.

DoodleBug

Bit of a BS test and statement, try testing the water out taps from Witbank, Hibberdene and an old town in the Karoo somewhere.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Water is Water, paying (much) more for it just makes you look like a fool.

one of the things the ANC hasn't managed to destroy with their antics yet.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Still.. you would not start or maintain a sour dough starter from tap (or use metal utensils). Even when you are making vinegar / kombucha.

edit: @Snyper564 how is creating beer from tap?
There are a few options:

1. You can let the tap water rest in an open vessel for 24 hours to off-gas the chlorine.
2. You can boil the tap water to off-gas the chlorine
3. (recommended) You can add potassium metabisulfite to remove both the chlorine and chloramine.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
No chlorine in tap water? Isn't that a bad thing? Must be full of bacteria and amoebas.

Ghost64

Expert Member
made from premium oxygen and heliums?
Hydrogens
But some premium water is prepared water, over the years I’ve found two that I prefer over the others, so much so that I won’t drink other bottled water.
Avian, I’ve only had a few times but in every water test I’ve seen, avian still ranks on top.

saturnz

Honorary Master
Hydrogens
But some premium water is prepared water, over the years I’ve found two that I prefer over the others, so much so that I won’t drink other bottled water.
Avian, I’ve only had a few times but in every water test I’ve seen, avian still ranks on top.

a friend of mine has a water bottle cooler thing and that water tastes nice, his wife is quite anal about the water she buys

but at the same time I'm addicted to my fridge water that comes from my tap, after my first sip I will have two glasses after, especially at night- maybe its the tik in the water I don't know