Bread Maker - I bought one for Banting Breads, amazing!!

lived666

Executive Member
I have resisted buying one of these for ages, much regret :(

I always thought that I wouldn't be able to cope with fresh bread smells, because I smell fresh bread I instantly gain 4kg or it would another dust gathering appliance such as George Forman or the waffle maker but this thing is amazing.

Anyhow as banting breads are ridiculously expensive and some just plain gross, I thought heck, let me buy this and if it doesn't work, I will return it, so I bought this inexpensive one from takealot of money:

http://www.takealot.com/mellerware-ma-baker-bread-maker/PLID17259995

Somehow they are R400 less than yuppiechef- shame on you yuppiechef:mad:

Anyhow it makes fantastic banting breads, you toss in the ingredients press some buttons and forget about it and 2.5 hours later your bread is presto ready. No mixing or kneading or baking, this little magic device does it all. The actual baking time is around 40 minutes, the rest of the time it is either mixing or kneading or letting the dough rise.

Yesterday I tried a standard bread, I have never had dough rise and shape so magically and it comes out like bread, just better.

Anyhow this is the best appliance I have bought since my air fryer.

falcon786

Executive Member
dust gathering appliance such as George Forman or the waffle maker but this thing is amazing........
the best appliance I have bought since my air fryer.
Ok you have my attention,wife and I also hate the George foreman used it for a month and then 6 years in the cupboard and yes air fryer is now essential in our household.

So what is the standard banting friendly bread made out of?

Any pics of said bread?

lived666

Executive Member
Recipe for Banting bread?
My standard recipe:

1.5 cups of banting flours of your choice - I mix coconut flour, flax, chickpea and heba pap- you can also use almond flour, macadamia flour etc. If you dont like flax flavour then mix coconut and almond, and so on.
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon yeast - I am not sure yeast does anything because these loafs don't really rise much, or you can use a teaspoon of bicarbonate soda
3 eggs
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon honey or xylitol - I prefer honey
if you have it 1 tablespoon Psyllium husk, not essential
optional mixed seeds sun as sunflower and pumpkin seeds

I came across another recipe that I am going to try later:
http://sarahgraham.co.za/recipes/seed-loaf-gluten-free-banting-friendly/

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
We use our bread machine at least once a week when we make pretzels.

Marius Flash

Expert Member
Yesterday I tried a standard bread, I have never had dough rise and shape so magically and it comes out like bread, just better.

Anyhow this is the best appliance I have bought since my air fryer.
Sounds awesome and delicious. How do you find the air fryer?

lived666

Executive Member

hmm, so this recipe didn't come out the best, was too moist, felt like it hadn't finished baking - could be because of the yoghurt, not sure.

Anyhow some pic of other breads:

normal banting bread, doesn't rise much, but quite tasty:
bantinga.jpg

Then a banting bread compared to a home made standard 700gr loaf - huge difference in size between how a standard loaf rises compared to a banting loaf!
You may notice that the top of the standard loaf didn't brown nicely, I rectified that in my next loaf
banting2.JPG

Standard loaf, 700gr, browned nicely all over, some sesame seeds for flavour
bread1.jpg

Attachments

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
My standard recipe:

1.5 cups of banting flours of your choice - I mix coconut flour, flax, chickpea and heba pap- you can also use almond flour, macadamia flour etc. If you dont like flax flavour then mix coconut and almond, and so on.
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon yeast - I am not sure yeast does anything because these loafs don't really rise much, or you can use a teaspoon of bicarbonate soda
3 eggs
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon honey or xylitol - I prefer honey
if you have it 1 tablespoon Psyllium husk, not essential
optional mixed seeds sun as sunflower and pumpkin seeds

I came across another recipe that I am going to try later:
So do you just throw everything into the breadmaker without mixing it and it does everything for you?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Well, I wouldn't know... So no kneading or anything is needed on your side? just throw everything in and done?
That's pretty much it. Most of the time I use mine just to do the mixing and kneeling part cos I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Beachless

Executive Member
I even use mine to make sourdough type of breads. I have to cheat a bit by adding 10% flour, sugar and normal yeast before starting the bread machine cycle but they still taste great and I'm sure are healthier than normal bread.

PrinceVlad

Think I must get one. I have bought a few banting breads, but none of them taste nice, so should definitely give a try making my own.