Brian Molefe acting Eskom CEO

TEXTILE GUY

Executive Member
AFAIK - this dude was one of Mbekis mates.

He is qualified to do the job, and hasnt particularly gotten involved in the politics.

Zupta came under fire for his Transnet appointment, but transnet isnt doing too badly, so lets see.

Zuptas cronies are the dumb fusks that are revolutionaries, Mbeki and Mandels favoured academics .......

Having said this ..... he will have to change policy at Eskom, at odds with Zumas anti white rhetoric to find the best technical staff regardless of colour, and will have to do some serious back fighting on the Russian Nuke deal.

creeper

Expert Member
But is Eskom in its current state fixable?
Yes. It is. Bad decisions were made by top management (and govt). The people sitting in operations are still competent, otherwise we would've had a big failure already. What is now needed is the hard decisions to be made and actioned.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Yes. It is. Bad decisions were made by top management (and govt). The people sitting in operations are still competent, otherwise we would've had a big failure already. What is now needed is the hard decisions to be made and actioned.
100% agreed. Eskom team have never made strategic mistakes (even under poor CEO's), it is the government disinvestment policy and project management for new power generators responsible for current crises.
Not sure a new CEO can resolve labour issues, it should be ammendments to the labour law excluding critical businesses like Eskom from some controversial provisions.

vaakseun

Based on Transnet and PIC, he might be able to turn Eskom.
Unfortunately he's only acting CEO. They'll replace him with someone more malleable the moment the worst of the crisis is over.

Last edited:

sovielenamen

100% agreed. Eskom team have never made strategic mistakes (even under poor CEO's), it is the government disinvestment policy and project management for new power generators responsible for current crises.
Not sure a new CEO can resolve labour issues, it should be ammendments to the labour law excluding critical businesses like Eskom from some controversial provisions.
I would call pushing asscheap electricity onto every possible big user, convincing industry to replace steamgenerators fired by coal with electric ones by offering endless contracts for near to nothing to pay, pressing all smaller producers out of business so now almost no town has own power generation anymore whilst before most bigger ones had. well this and more I would call lousy strategic decisions for a state owned company which should have had more foresight and at least the insight to leave decentralized power generation alone if not supporting it as good as any possible.
"ESKOM team" whatever this is or was has also provided the country with one complete blackout nationwide, something the "ANC ESKOM" has not accomplished by now.
I am confident they will beat this, soon, sure.

Suspect99

Executive Member
I work at Transnet. Sad to see him go. He seemed pretty competent, but quite harsh. Hope they don't replace him with another Maria Ramos. We'll find out by Monday

ambroseg1

Executive Member
Can't really be any worse than the current leadership circus so it seems like a good move to me
That's like saying, hope he is as funny as the previous clown at the circus. His appointment was merely propaganda and political to give the impression of positive change. Maybe I am just a pessimist, but I don't foresee any noticeable positive change. Winter is coming, and I foresee many a night in cold and in the dark eating cold food hoping the laptop battery lasts.

sajunky

Honorary Master
I would call pushing asscheap electricity onto every possible big user, convincing industry to replace steamgenerators fired by coal with electric ones by offering endless contracts for near to nothing to pay, pressing all smaller producers out of business so now almost no town has own power generation anymore whilst before most bigger ones had. well this and more I would call lousy strategic decisions for a state owned company which should have had more foresight and at least the insight to leave decentralized power generation alone if not supporting it as good as any possible.
"ESKOM team" whatever this is or was has also provided the country with one complete blackout nationwide, something the "ANC ESKOM" has not accomplished by now.
I am confident they will beat this, soon, sure.
Read the question by Valerion and reply from creeper to have an idea what we are talking about. Just separate political 'strategic' decision from engineering decision and see what is left in your reply.

While traversing to political decisions, we should mention perhaps that supplying 'free' enenergy (or other services) to the 'customers' who do not pay for is not a communists invention of ANC. It was a mistake made long time ago and helped spreading communists ideology. It will be difficult to correct these mistakes, especially now.

sovielenamen

@sajunky
You might consider to look up "strategic" as your post makes little more sense then showing that you see communism luring in every corner, Teabaggerstyle.