BSc:Computing | UNISA | PT or FT while working full time

Vert3cX

Hi there,

I am a full time software engineer in Cape Town. My working hours are primarily from 8AM - 4PM.

I would like to study through UNISA in 2023. I already have a Diploma in Engineering through CPUT but unfortunately cannot register for a BTech since it's been phased out so if I want to work and further my studies simultaneously then UNISA is my best option in terms of flexibility around my work-life schedule etc.

I would like to know if it's possible to studying full time through UNISA whilst working full time as well (BSc Computing specifically)? I'm sure it's been done before but I am concerned that the amount of assignments and tests result in me being inundated with study work after hours and weekends.

In contrast doing half the modules for each year would make it so that I have to study for 5-6 years which for me seems a bit overkill for a bachelors, given the fact that I have already been working in industry for 3 years and have a formal qualification behind my name...hence why I would like to see if FT work and FT studies is doable.

They have moved all modules to year modules so if I take all 8 first year modules then it would mean I write 8 exams at the end of the year.

Thoughts? Feedback? Suggestions?

Would be much appreciated

Archie1

Can you not get credits for some of the modules based on your diploma? Perhaps some of the first year modules may be credited.

TStringList

It's doable and it will take as long as it takes to do it part time. You already have a software engineer job so the studies will be somewhat familiar as time goes on. Always nice to have a degree behind your name.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member
You can do it but it's tough. This is how I did it while studying a bcom informatics.

For first year
Early morning 5am-7am. Plus lunch time at work.
During exams some leave and weekends.

Second and 3rd year
Early mornings 5am-7am everyday.
Lunch time at work.
Probably one crunch weekend a month sometimes 2 where you work 8-10 hours Saturday and Sunday.
Occasional evening work before big assignments.
Sacrifice at least a 2 weeks of leave for your exams.

Before exams it's hectic 16hours days with work and studies then you need to add in your weekends for that month or 2.

For second and third year think of it as a second job.

With that much work I was averaging 75%.

Vert3cX

Can you not get credits for some of the modules based on your diploma? Perhaps some of the first year modules may be credited.
Thanks for the reply! I have thought about this since I took the computer systems route so many subjects would over lap. Just worried about how long it takes to receive feedback from them in terms of whether or not your accreditations are approved or declined. I don't want to still be waiting for feedback when the registration period opens up XD.

Vert3cX

You can do it but it's tough. This is how I did it while studying a bcom informatics.

For first year
Early morning 5am-7am. Plus lunch time at work.
During exams some leave and weekends.

Second and 3rd year
Early mornings 5am-7am everyday.
Lunch time at work.
Probably one crunch weekend a month sometimes 2 where you work 8-10 hours Saturday and Sunday.
Occasional evening work before big assignments.
Sacrifice at least a 2 weeks of leave for your exams.

Before exams it's hectic 16hours days with work and studies then you need to add in your weekends for that month or 2.

For second and third year think of it as a second job.

With that much work I was averaging 75%.
Sounds about right. Thanks for the detailed information. Highly appreciated and valuable!