Building Octotel's impressive fibre network

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

Octotel is one of South Africa’s largest fibre network operators and has built an impressive network in Cape Town and surrounding areas.

Speaking at the 2019 MyBroadband Fibre Conference, Octotel CEO Rob Gilmour said they started the operator in 2015 because they saw what Vumatel was doing in Gauteng and wanted to do the same in Cape Town.

beans100

Honorary Master
All the companies, now all of a sudden, wants to brag with their fibre networks. I feel kind of left out, when are any of these companies going to have a foot print in my area. Fibre to expensive for rural areas?

Nemoneiros

Octotel is one of South Africa’s largest fibre network operators and has built an impressive network in Cape Town and surrounding areas.

Speaking at the 2019 MyBroadband Fibre Conference, Octotel CEO Rob Gilmour said they started the operator in 2015 because they saw what Vumatel was doing in Gauteng and wanted to do the same in Cape Town.

Not sure that 'impressive', 'good' or 'quality' and even perhaps 'service' should be linked with Octotel

for example
https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/octotel-octofail-you-have-been-warned.1006378/

or CISPs thread?
https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/search/905099/?q=Octotel&t=post&c[thread]=1027306&o=date

topdog

Swa

Honorary Master
PLEASE expand to areas such as Gauteng. We're tired of being raped by providers like Vumatel.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
When I stayed in the Newlands area in Cape Town earlier this year, the entire area was on Octotel fibre and collapsed completely like clockwork every evening at 5pm. The guest house owner said everyone was moaning about it and that changing ISP did nothing - clearly an Octotel problem.

Customer1

Not talking about performance but anyway...
Of course not. I didn't mention performance anywhere...

I pointed out that you're complaining about fibre (Vumatel) being expensive while the majority of people would give their front teeth to have any form of fibre including Vumatel.

Again, first world problems. I'm probably salty, but it really irks me when people complain about things like expensive fibre, when the majority of us doesn't even have access to it at all.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
Of course not. I didn't mention performance anywhere...

I pointed out that you're complaining about fibre (Vumatel) being expensive while the majority of people would give their front teeth to have any form of fibre including Vumatel.

Again, first world problems. I'm probably salty, but it really irks me when people complain about things like expensive fibre, when the majority of us doesn't even have access to it at all.
It irks me when people assume that the majority of us can afford fibre at the current prices. So, first world problems. Like the guy complaining he can't find steak while the next guy can't afford to buy bread. Get the point?