Burger King Review

Tim182

Expert Member
After 2 days of waiting for the queues to calm down and the masses to disappear I finally had my first South African Burger King meal this morning. I have had BK many times before at different branches across the world so this was not a first. But for the past 10 years I have been waiting and hoping for BK to come to our shores...

The opening was on Thursday the 9th. I visited around 5pm but the queues were too long, again around 7pm but same story. I finally attempted queuing at 9.30pm but gave up soon after. Turns out this was the right decision as the last people only got their burgers at 1.30am. Some people spoke of the soda fountain having run out... No surprise there.

So this morning I decided to try again and arrived at BK at 9.40am. There were already 80 people queuing up outside. They opened their doors 5 minutes early to let people in at 9.55am. From then it took about 20 minutes to get in and my order was placed at 10.29am.

Onto the pics.

The initial queues:
20130509_170925.jpg
20130509_170925.jpg

Some people must have waited more than 4 hours...

Later that night
20130509_213759.jpg
20130509_215255.jpg

Last people got their burgers at 1.30am

Moving onto this morning
20130511_100517.jpg

People queued up early! Opening at 10am...

People working very hard to serve orders. The lady struggled a bit with the massive and customised order due to milkshake and upsize rings but in the end everything came out right.
20130511_102730.jpg

Last edited:

Tim182

Expert Member
The order:
IMG_9492.jpg

Double Whopper with cheese
Big King XXL
Long Chicken
Double Cheese Burger
King size fries
King size onion rings
Chili Cheese nuggets
Milk Shake
Pepsi

The whopper (double) with cheese. Well presented, extremely fresh bun and lettuce. Possibly one of the best ones I have had. All ingredients tasted fresh! Nicely packed and hot!
IMG_9458.jpg
IMG_9461.jpg
IMG_9463.jpg

The double cheese burger
IMG_9467.jpg

The Long Chicken, very good, much better than a McChicken! Presentation not perfect but still ok!
IMG_9473.jpg

Last edited:

Tim182

Expert Member
Onto the Big King xxl! Very good! Cheesy, fresh bun again and well presented.
IMG_9487.jpg
IMG_9490.jpg

Onto the side orders. Chips were excellent, as expected! Onion rings too and should be eaten fresh right in the beginning! Added a few onto the whopper, yummy!!! Chili cheese nuggets were not my thing but I can see the appeal.

The onion rings are the diced up version where diced up onions are formed into a ring. About 4 to 5cm in diameter. Very crispy at first and for about 10 minutes. 6 in standard and 9 in king size.
IMG_9485.jpg
IMG_9482.jpg
IMG_9471.jpg
IMG_9470.jpg

Last edited:

Tim182

Expert Member
The milkshake... WOW. Try it! Now! Super think and tasty. Nothing like McD.
IMG_9477.jpg
IMG_9495.jpg

You get mayo and tomato sauce with every order. The mayo is not from here...
IMG_9469.jpg

Success!
IMG_9496.jpg

The soda fountain. Yes, it is bottomless and you can mix! Try 1/3 pepsi, 1/3 mirinda and 1/3 7up. There was no Lipton...
IMG_9507.jpg

Basketball court:
IMG_9500.jpg

Last edited:

Tim182

Expert Member
Games:
IMG_9501.jpg

There were other games as well which I didn't take pics if cause of little kids playing on them. There is staff to look after and entertain the young ones and several big screen TVs all around showing live sports. Nice and clean all around, even with the masses!

The queue at 11.30am. Probably about 1 hour
IMG_9510.jpg
IMG_9512.jpg

Last edited:

Keeper

Honorary Master
WOW. A decent review for a change. plenty of pics and you covered everything properly!
Get the extra long chilly cheese next time! It has 3 patties!

PS: would you compare the Big king XXL with a McFeast? (Size, and taste?)

xeslaro

Expert Member
Tim, well done on the review mate... after all the anticipation and disappointment from your other thread, it was worth the wait:D

biometrics

Honorary Master
Thanks for the review. But what is this insanity about a damn burger joint. Jikes.

Keeper

Honorary Master
also tell me about the onion rings now... is it a single slice of onion with batter or is it the "re-created" onion rings (diced up onions formed into a ring)

Tim182

Expert Member
also tell me about the onion rings now... is it a single slice of onion with batter or is it the "re-created" onion rings (diced up onions formed into a ring)
It's the diced up version. About 4 to 5cm in diameter. Very crispy at first and for about 10 minutes. 6 in standard and 9 in king size.

Tim182

Expert Member
PS: would you compare the Big king XXL with a McFeast? (Size, and taste?)

Yes, the Big King is very comparable to the McFeast although there are some differences. Mostly the Big King has a lot more gherken and better cheese. Also it tastes more like proper beef. Size is similar! Strangely I always feel sick after a large McFeast meal. Today I had the Big King XXL, the double Whopper with cheese and a Long Chicken (plus all the sides) and only feel slightly sick although very full. I do however prefer the Double Whopper with cheese over the Big King XXL

Keeper

Honorary Master
Today I had the Big King XXL, the double Whopper with cheese and a Long Chicken (plus all the sides)
And your wife only got to taste a stupid cheeseburger you greedy bastard :p

Does the soda taste genuine or is it very watered down?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
So is Burger King more like Steers or McDonalds? Do I have anything to get excited about?

Tim182

Expert Member
And your wife only got to taste a stupid cheeseburger you greedy bastard :p

Does the soda taste genuine or is it very watered down?
Haha, gf, she had some of the sides too and a bite of the Long Chicken.

Soda was not watered down one bit, was surprised myself. It tasted proper, very fizzy and lots flavour. And you can help yourself so no need to have lots of ice.

So is Burger King more like Steers or McDonalds? Do I have anything to get excited about?

Nothing like McDonalds. Like Steers but better quality IMO

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Haha, gf, she had some of the sides too and a bite of the Long Chicken.

Soda was not watered down one bit, was surprised myself. It tasted proper, very fizzy and lots flavour. And you can help yourself so no need to have lots of ice.

Nothing like McDonalds. Like Steers but better quality IMO
I'll ask again in 3 months when all the hype is over and Burger King has "settled".

Tim182

Expert Member
I'll ask again in 3 months when all the hype is over and Burger King has "settled".
It is something to be excited about but unfortunately BK here does not have the biggest of menus due to the lack of bacon and substitutes (so far). But the whopper is good! So is the milkshake and the sides

Aqua_lung

Honorary Master
WTH dude, you finished all that in 1 sit down?!
The Whopper and big king had me stuffed for the day yesterday, I skipped supper because of it.

BTW, I never got mayo.