Burning .mkv onto Dual layer?

ControlAltDelete

I'm basically looking to burn an 7.6 GB .mkv file onto a dual layer disk. So far I've wasted 4 disks with Imgburn, Nero 10 and some other program I don't remember, I've been up all night researching this but no one seems to be able to answer my question. What program can I use to burn the exact .mkv file onto a dual layer DVD without having to compress the file and keep it's .mkv format at the same time. Thanks for your time.

F

Fudzy

Have you tried writing the disc first to an ISO and then the ISO to actual DVD?

House

Banned
Get a program called ConvertXtoDVD. I done a 8.9GB MKV and converted it onto a dual layer. In fact, that is the only program I use for converting AVIs, MKVs or other file types to DVD format and burning them. Convertxtodvd will automatically convert the movie to VOB format, but will leave your original MKV file untouched afterwards.

The program is very easy to use, simply open it, drag the MKV file into the box and start converting and burning. The program will detect the size of the disc you have entered and will, depending on your settings, convert and burn the movie accordingly onto the disc.

Last edited:

chrisc

Honorary Master
^ Have use this over and over. For my snoep friends who won't buy a blu-ray player

howardb

Expert Member
I think the failing approx. halfway through is the split point for the dual layer? You could try splitting the .mkv file at the appropriate point so half fits on one layer and half on the second layer - this should stop the failed burning error.

+1 for ConvertXtoDVD - works really well with excellent quality. Use the 2-pass option for top-notch quality, although this does take some additional time...

chrisc

Honorary Master
If the DVD writer cannot manage the crossover point, then use some different blanks. I have a SONY and found after wasting several disks that Verbatim blanks worked 100%. Very slightly more expensive (R 2,50) then no-name brand (R 1,50) but what a pleasure getting no rejects.

Africaner

Is the file above 2GB ? I understand why you do not want to re-encode. But if you split your .mkv file the quality will be the same (unlike re-encoding) I remember to have had the same problems a few years ago. I don't know how I did it but I got a tip from the net to split the mkv file in half a gig chunks and it worked. Worth a try.

ControlAltDelete

Get a program called ConvertXtoDVD. I done a 8.9GB MKV and converted it onto a dual layer. In fact, that is the only program I use for converting AVIs, MKVs or other file types to DVD format and burning them. Convertxtodvd will automatically convert the movie to VOB format, but will leave your original MKV file untouched afterwards.

The program is very easy to use, simply open it, drag the MKV file into the box and start converting and burning. The program will detect the size of the disc you have entered and will, depending on your settings, convert and burn the movie accordingly onto the disc.

Once it converts the file to dvd then the file becomes smaller.

NomNom

Executive Member
I dont think a DVD player will play mkv files.

It doesn't matter what format the video is because it gets encoded into a format that the DVD player can recognize, as long as the program you are using can recognize the video format.

NomNom

Executive Member
@OP I can confirm that Nero Vision 10 is able to burn .mkv to dual layer.

chrisc

Honorary Master
I dont think a DVD player will play mkv files.

You are quite right that some will not. My Marantz DVD player managed it, but said it was a data disc, but my friend's LG just said "no disc". My Oppo blu-player also recognised it as a data disc but played it properly.